StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am approaching 20,000 miles and my chain is starting to stretch. I think I will replace it along with sprockets in the next few months before my ride to Tail of the Dragon. Where can I get the best prices on new chain and sprockets? I'm OK with the stock quality and don't plan on any major upgrades unless there is something way better out there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
SV Racing Parts. They are also a Stromtrooper's sponsor. Blair is also a great guy to deal with.

Scroll down from the main page to the Supporting Vendor Section and he is the first one. He usually has chain and sprocket sets on sale.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Yea. SV is a great shop. Fast shipping too. No worries, don't shop around, just contact him and get er done. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tsubaki Chain and SunStar Sprockets THE BEST Stuff !

Tsubaki Chain and SunStar Sprockets are the ONLY way to go and drop 1 tooth on the rear.
Anothe option is 2 teeth less on the front,stock rear for tight road work, and a happy engine at 70ish freeway, but have found stock front and 1 tooth less rear IS the hot set up for a happy engine/power curve/real world Vdawgee usage ! :yesnod:

And want to make it last? Clean it hot every 300 miles with a firm tooth brsuh or sort automotive parts clenaing brush using kerosene or diesel , dry it with a terry cloth towel,NOT air.
And a good lubricant,like Honda,BelRay or Silkolene chain lube only on the inner rollers and plates hot.

Another nice trick is to ALWAYS at the end of the day wipe UP on your fork tubes with a cotton rag, old t shirt, with a fresh spraying of Triflow or WD40 if you can't find anything else. Your fork tubes will never pit and seals will last FOREVER,especially if you change your fork oil annually along with your coolant and all hydraulic fluids !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tsubaki Chain and SunStar Sprockets THE BEST Stuff !

Tsubaki Chain and SunStar Sprockets are the ONLY way to go and drop 1 tooth on the rear. NEVER used a DID,they're junk.
Anothe option is 2 teeth less on the front,stock rear for tight road work and a happy engine at 70ish freeway, but have found stock front and 1 tooth less rear IS the hot set up for a happy engine/power curve/real world Vdawgee usage ! :yesnod:

And want to make it last? Clean it when it's hot every 300 miles with a firm tooth brush or soft automotive parts cleaning brush using kerosene or diesel,dry it with a terry cloth towel,NOT air.
And a good lubricant,like Honda,BelRay or Silkolene chain lube only on the inner rollers and plates hot.

Another nice trick is to ALWAYS at the end of the day wipe UP on your fork tubes with a cotton rag, old t shirt, with a fresh spraying of Triflow or WD40 if you can't find anything else. And spray a little on your lever pivots, in the throttle housing,anything that pivots,is "hinged" etc.every other time.
Your fork tubes will never pit and seals will last FOREVER,especially if you change your fork oil annually along with your coolant and all hydraulic fluids !

Fly Low....Radar can't get you ! :green_lol:

·
Registered
806 Posts
SV Racing Parts all the way. Blair really looks after his Canadian customers too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
530 size chain & sprockets will give longer life on the Vee. Costs a little more and weighs a little more, but the wider rollers spread the load out for the longer life.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I always do very well on Ebay with motorcycle parts.

DID Xring chain and JT sprockets front and back for about $150 shipped last time I did a change.

Haven't seen anyone, ever, anywhere with a retail site with prices that good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am approaching 20,000 miles and my chain is starting to stretch. I think I will replace it along with sprockets in the next few months before my ride to Tail of the Dragon. Where can I get the best prices on new chain and sprockets? I'm OK with the stock quality and don't plan on any major upgrades unless there is something way better out there.
I just replaced mine, 22,000 miles. Went with SV racing OEM setup. I think I paid around $180 4 both sprockets and the chain. To answer your next probable question the rubber on the oem sprocket is to reduce noise your new sprocket won't have it.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts