StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where to buy a Garmin Zumo 550 ?

I've been looking around online at the Garmin Zumo 550 to find the best place to buy one. The price seems to jump from place to place. Is there something that I should be looking for besides new or refurbished ? Where and when did you buy yours and would you buy from them again ?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought mine from Amazon last year for $688.00. I just checked and the price dropped to $652.00. I've always had good service from Amazon, and the price was WAY lower than anywhere local.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just wait, hasn't the 550 been discontinued....I would imagine it will get really cheap this winter.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would buy the newer 660 over the 550.

Has:

- higher res screen
- lighter
- better battery life
- double the way points
- lane assist + 3D
- Bluetooth A2DP (stereo)
- "where am I" feature
- Querty or ABC keyboard layout
- Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos)
- World travel clock, currency & unit converter, calculator
- MSN® Direct compatible
- Speed limit indicator (displays speed limit for most major roads)
- Garmin Garage™ voices compatible (download custom voices to your device

The only thing the 550 has, which may or may not be too important, is XM® Navtraffic & Radio for U.S. compatible.

The 660 is $100 less at retail, is the newest model, and for the most part, is more feature rich. I personally think the 660 design is much nicer, have always thought the 550 was a pig of a unit. I know it's a proven, functional device, but it's FAT & ugly IMO.

Food for thought......

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 660 should push the price point for the 550 down a couple hundred dollars or more this winter. The 450 might actually be affordable for me at christmas.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a used 550 yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I have not heard or seen anything good about the 660.

Tim

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Found a used 550 yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I have not heard or seen anything good about the 660.

Tim
Same crap... way overpriced just because it is for a motorcycle... I will buy a Nuvi 550 (water proof with 8hr batt life) for just over $300 CDN (already have a RAM mount for it)... Still overpriced, but..... What features makes the 660 worth so much more?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have not heard or seen anything good about the 660.

Tim
I haven't either and I own one. At the present time, Garmin has it for repair.

On second thought, that's not completely fair. The advantage of the 660 over the 550 is a bigger screen, MUCH faster processor, and MUCH improved internal storage space. There's something like an extra 4GB onboard memory in addition to the micro SD card slot.

The AMA discount is 20% and was worth $175 off the 660 when I bought mine.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$899.99 for the Zumo 550 and $799.99 for the 660 on the Garmin site. Why is the 660 less ? :???:

With an AMA discount - $708.74 for the 550 and $671.99 for the 660 From Garmin. (Good savings on accessories though)

Garmin Zumo 550 $651.95 and $799.99 for the 660 from gpscity.com

Garmin Zumo 550 $652.77 and $799.99 from Amazon

Then there are places like NexTag, PriceGrabber.com, Costco.com, ebay.....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Same crap... way overpriced just because it is for a motorcycle... I will buy a Nuvi 550 (water proof with 8hr batt life) for just over $300 CDN (already have a RAM mount for it)... Still overpriced, but..... What features makes the 660 worth so much more?
$300?? I assume this is a used, private sale?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts

You need to be careful to compare the features of the various GPS before buying them.

For instance on some Garmin lines, I’m not sure you can use the Mapsoure software to plan routes on your home computer & then upload them to your GPS. Most find it much more tedious to type all of that stuff in through the touchscreen on the GPS.
<O:p
Also, you may not be able to take a multiple-stop route and have the GPS auto-sort the various stops to get the shortest total route length. I’m not sure that is on all of the GPS models in the Nuvi line, either.
The Nuvi 550 may be waterproof, but I’m not sure how it will stand up to the vibrations & bumps experienced on a motorcycle.
However, there are some features on the higher-end Garmins that aren’t all of what they’re supposed to be, like Traffic and Lane Guidance, both of which would be great if they worked all the time, but don’t work in some major cities. Some want MSN direct, but that costs an extra annual fee.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
FYI

I'm not sure the Nuvi 550 has an earpone jack to hear the voice prompts. You may want that on a M/C. Also, the voice prompts are not text-to-speech.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've only dipped my toes in the GPS pond (a Garmin 2720 on my KLR) I do want to get one for my DL. If my 2720 had a bigger screen and XM radio (or the ability to play MP3 files) I'd be happy. Which Garmin would do that?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Nice site for reviews. But not much on units designed for motorcycles. Execpt for mentioning that you don't want the 27** or 28** series because they use the old/slow receiver.

AllenTC2, if you go to garmin.com, you can search based on some of the specs you are looking for - like mp3 and xm radio. Oops, you can't search on FM. You will have to open up the specs for the several units that play mp3s and check each one. Of the current motorcycle models, the Zumo 550 does what you want. Of the discontinued models, it is the 2730 and 2820.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I've only dipped my toes in the GPS pond (a Garmin 2720 on my KLR) I do want to get one for my DL. If my 2720 had a bigger screen and XM radio (or the ability to play MP3 files) I'd be happy. Which Garmin would do that?
I have the Nuvi 765T for my car. It has an MP3 player, supports routes with multiple waypoints, a Headphone jack/audio line-out, and a 3.8 x 2.25 screen. Supports 10 routes and 1000 waypoints. Does not come with a CD. It does not support XM radio. It is not waterproof, although housings are now available for $70 or so.

It has a few features that other Nuvis didn't have that the StreetPilot 2xxx had: ability to sort waypoints into groups, a customizable front screen, and shows your speed even when you've selected a route. It's the closest I've seen yet to what you need on a bike.

The Nuvi 500 would have been cool as it has street and topo maps, but it does not have a headphone jack or MP3 player.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
JC Whitney sells the Zumo 550 for 699; they will price match, though, and I found it at camerakings.com for 612.

I ordered through JCW because they have an excellent return policy, most orders are shipped free if over 75 dollars, and I have credit with them. Don't know anything about camerakings.com other than the good price I found for price matching.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
FYI

I'm not sure the Nuvi 550 has an earpone jack to hear the voice prompts. You may want that on a M/C. Also, the voice prompts are not text-to-speech.
It says motorcycle friendly on the Garmin site... It is made for all round use (even hiking) so I would have to assume it was designed to get knocked around a bit. Besides many guys are using just plain Nuvi's (not waterproof) on their bikes, and I have not heard anyone complain they died of vibration. Earplug, voice prompts, no text to speech (sarcasm)... on then that's worth an extra $300 US for sure for a Zumo 550... (even if they worked properly as you suggested). Again, all that "supposed" extra motorcycle stuff isn't worth that much IMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts