StromTrooper banner

Where is the end to your heated gear battery harness?

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  V-Strom Ry 
#1 ·
Curious where you all are running your heated gear connection from the battery. I brought it out by the rear passenger footpeg, but of course it's not close enough for my jacket wire to reach it. Thought about bringing it up between the seat and the gas tank in front...but not sure I want it flopping around while riding and not using it, and don't see a place to put it without removing the seat. In the winter months, I don't want the wind blowing it around against the tank when in a store or whatever.

Would like to leave it on the bike because I ride all year around. For some reason, the obvious place to place the end where I can connect to it is alluding me. :confused:

#3 ·
My harness gets stored under the seat inside the left side cover. When it needs to be used, it comes out between the seat and the plastic frame cover on the left side, just behind the tank. I put a depression in the plastic with a soldering iron to create space and provide a wide, flat area for the wiring harness to sit on.

#6 ·
I purchased a "Plug" (think "outlet") that one mounts like a dash power outlet.......made a bracket out of aluminum and mounted the plug on it. It is located forward below the tank using one of the SW-Motech Crash Bar Bolts. I always had a problem trying to plug the male end of the vest's wiring into the female receiver using one hand when the female part was simply dangling outside the bodywork. Now, it's easy (one handed).

#7 ·
It is long and tucked under my seat except when I need it!

#8 ·
Inside my tank bag. I have the powerlet tank bag electric kit in my givi tanklock tank bag. Power runs through that. There is a splitter inside, 1 a cigarette lighter plug, the other a DC power plug, that then plugs into a 12v/USB box I built. It has 4 USB ports, and 2 12v power outlets, of which 1 is switched, and runs a 6" 5 or 6 LED strip for lighting in tank bag, the other, not switched, runs heat troller.
Wow, that was a lot to explain! Don't know why I can't post pictures, but I have posted them before. I do have a thread on here of one, that one is version 1, I've since built the one I described above, version 2.0. The new one doesn't have a cigarette lighter socket, but has the switched 12v outlet, but I have the splitter so I don't need it, plus with Chinese USB module, only 2 of the 4 USB ports work...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Great ideas! Keep them coming. I'll loo through them all this weekend and get mine moved to a much better location.

#13 ·
The source end goes to an Eastern Beaver power block under the seat, and the other comes out between the seat and tank. When it's warm outside, I just roll it up and put it under the rubber band that holds the battery in place.

If you want use this setup, please pay me the $5.00 fee I charge for developing this unique and practical idea.

:beatnik:

#16 ·

Left plug is permanent power for gopro, right is my heated gear plug. The controller i have velcro'd down below on the frame. I can reach it while riding to adjust.

When i get off the bike the plug pulls out on it's own if i forget to unplug first, which i usually do.

#18 ·
Twisted throttle sells the handlebar clamp bracket and high amp socket harness. Plug and play and I use it for everything, heated gear, charger, phone, Ipad, and its always hot so you can charge gadgets in the campsite.

#20 ·
I found that out the hard way. I put a connector on the '07 Wee that I had to fiddle with a few times to keep the solder joints from breaking. It also required an in line connector when taking off the body part it was mounted on. I also had to carry the pigtail from the connector to the suit.

On the '12 Glee, the wiring just sits under the seat until it needs to be brought out. I didn't want to take a chance on the wire rubbing on the tank paint so I brought it out between the seat and the unpainted plastic trim piece behind the tank.

#22 ·
You should get a seat like mine that removes in a jiffy using the ignition key. Removing my helmet and gloves takes longer.

And it's not your question that's simple -- it's the procedure of accessing the wire under the seat. Some others seem to agree, but that doesn't mean it's right for you.

#28 ·
I usee mine to charge my cell phone in my tank bag, so the lead from my tank bag hooks in whenever I ride. durring the cold season I add a y cable that lets me plug in my tank bag and heated gear, I use the wireless remote.

#29 ·
Mine came out between the seat and tank when in use. I had a patch of self-adhesive vinyl on the rear of the tank to prevent wear.

The ground end of my heated gear plug (2-wire trailer plug) went up under the tank, to a switch on my handlebars, and finally back to the battery. That way I had a convenient on/off switch near my grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.