StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know where it is...

But, with only quickly looking here and there, and never thinking to search it out when I've got time, can someone point me to the general area of the stock horn location on my '07 650 V?

Wanting to upgrade, I had the hi-lo set of Fiamm horns on the last bike (130db each) and I'm thinking of doing the same here, replacing the chickadee that the bike uses now for a horn.

Thinking the hockey puck size Fiamms might be an easier install than the Stebel air tooter. And with two Fiamms... Think old Buick...

Must be buried under all that plastic somewhere...

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
I don't know if it has changed for the 07 but on the 06 it was located by the radiatior. You can see it from the left side by getting very low and looking upwards.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

Steve.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My wires for the stock horn decided to go by by. I must have caught them by accident. Could someone check their bike and trace the horn wires back to where they are tied into the wiring? That will give me a starting place to look. Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
My wires for the stock horn decided to go by by. I must have caught them by accident. Could someone check their bike and trace the horn wires back to where they are tied into the wiring? That will give me a starting place to look. Thanks!
There has to be some sort of award for taking the time to search a subject and coming up with a thread from over 7 years ago!

Kudos!

..Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
All this time I have been searching for the stock horn as indicated on the left side behind the radiator, only to find out that for some reason, my horn is on the right side of the radiator??!!!!

Oh well, it was a little pain in the a$$ to remove the stock wires and I come to find out that both wires are black and blue. No red and black as I assumed. I'm installing a new denalia sound bomb and need to attach to the wires accordingly. Any ideas on how to proceed? What's the result of I install the wires incorrectly? Hopefully no damage and I can just swap them around?

·
38,048 Posts
The two stock horn wires connect to terminals 85 and 86 on the Denali horn relay. Polarity is unimportant. Polarity on the wiring is indicated by one smooth wire and one ribbed wire. In house wiring, smooth is hot but I'm not sure that holds for low voltage wiring. It doesn't matter anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks Greywolf!

So I'll just plug in the kit wiring + and - into the stock horn connections, not really focusing on polarity.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
All this time I have been searching for the stock horn as indicated on the left side behind the radiator, only to find out that for some reason, my horn is on the right side of the radiator??!!!!

Oh well, it was a little pain in the a$$ to remove the stock wires and I come to find out that both wires are black and blue. No red and black as I assumed. I'm installing a new denalia sound bomb and need to attach to the wires accordingly. Any ideas on how to proceed? What's the result of I install the wires incorrectly? Hopefully no damage and I can just swap them around?
The DL650 horn is on the left, the DL1000 on the right. The guys who told you it was on the left had 650s.

Polarity is no issue when connecting your new wires to the old horn wires. But polarity matters when connecting to the new Denali Sound Bomb horn. There should be a + and - on the bottom of the horn showing which connector is which. If you reverse them, it will simply suck air instead of blow and you'll get a funky wheezing sound.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Satch, thanks for the explanation on the 650 vs 1000 horn location. I seriously thought that the engineers were drunk and not doing things properly when mnufacturing my bike!

You are correct on the polarity going from the relay kit to the horn directly. Yes, the horn does have clear + and - indicators so that good. Instead of grounding to the frame, I'm gonna go straight back to the fuse block.

I'm going to cut off the inline fuse on the pos wire that goes into the fuse block and use a 30 amp fuse directly from the fuse block. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Satch, thanks for the explanation on the 650 vs 1000 horn location. I seriously thought that the engineers were drunk and not doing things properly when mnufacturing my bike!

You are correct on the polarity going from the relay kit to the horn directly. Yes, the horn does have clear + and - indicators so that good. Instead of grounding to the frame, I'm gonna go straight back to the fuse block.

I'm going to cut off the inline fuse on the pos wire that goes into the fuse block and use a 30 amp fuse directly from the fuse block. Does this sound about right?
Here's the wiring diagram I suggest you follow. It's best to ground to the battery and not to the frame. You're okay to go to the fuse block with the + or just leave the inline fuse and go to the battery terminal.

·
38,048 Posts
Use a 20A fuse. The fuse block is probably only rated for 20A intermittent and 20A is plenty for that horn. The kit should have come with a 20A instead of a 30A. The fuse for the entire fuse block should be a 30A. Using the fuse block ground is fine.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Those instructions aren't the best. As was already mentioned, polarity doesn't matter on the trigger wires so mentioning polarity is just going to confuse the installer. Also, you can ground to the frame as they show, but it's best to ground to the battery terminal. As for the 20 vs 30 amp fuse, in theory a 20 amp is sufficient, however in practice I know that some have had problems with 20 amp fuses blowing. Most wiring kits for the Stebel horns will include a 30 amp fuse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts