StromTrooper banner
301 - 314 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Kore, there's always wind issues either in Sask or Alberta but BC is usually where it starts. I watch the weather pretty close and when I am out in BC and I usually either leave early or late to come east (home) just because of the wind. The last trip I even changed my route home just to go with the wind a bit instead of fighting it. Have you ever had your V-Strom out to BC? What year and cc is your Strom?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Kore, there's always wind issues either in Sask or Alberta but BC is usually where it starts. I watch the weather pretty close and when I am out in BC and I usually either leave early or late to come east (home) just because of the wind. The last trip I even changed my route home just to go with the wind a bit instead of fighting it. Have you ever had your V-Strom out to BC? What year and cc is your Strom?
I am really a new rider, never been out of Regina- except for white city/moosejaw etc - and I noticed that the wind is sometimes really scary - I started riding with Yamaha R# (beautiful bike esp. in city perfect) then after feeling a bit more confident I got 2020 Vstorm 650Tx and love it ... Next summer I really wanna go to Bc lets see...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow that's exciting. When I ride I usually always try to ride out of Saskatoon and depending on the wind direction that will determine which direction I will head. Sometimes if it is like 50 klik wind I won't even ride because its too much work riding with the big wind. Sometimes I just go for a ride in a big wind just for the practise because sooner or latter you will run into the wind. Have you fixed up your bike with accessories yet? When you go on a trip to BC are you moteling it or camping it? Last year I went for 3 weeks and stayed in a motel once to shower and charge up devices and all the rest was camping by rivers and beautiful spots.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kitchener Ontario- Ain't no Strom -

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow that's exciting. When I ride I usually always try to ride out of Saskatoon and depending on the wind direction that will determine which direction I will head. Sometimes if it is like 50 klik wind I won't even ride because its too much work riding with the big wind. Sometimes I just go for a ride in a big wind just for the practise because sooner or latter you will run into the wind. Have you fixed up your bike with accessories yet? When you go on a trip to BC are you moteling it or camping it? Last year I went for 3 weeks and stayed in a motel once to shower and charge up devices and all the rest was camping by rivers and beautiful spots.
I am so happy to be a member of stromtrooper- I am learning a lot - thanks for sharing your experiences. There is a website called (you might have heard) freecampsites.net I have visited that site and I have been working on my schedule - a draft is almost ready for example from Regina- first stop is swift current No 137 (rest, eat at a camp site) then ride the bike and stop at Webb SK another campsite to put up my tent --- as you can see I am checking that map which shows all the free camp sites and I am thinking of preparing my schedule in advance and from time to time thinking of stopping at a hotel for a proper sleep and shower - If you think of going on adventure in the future esp. to Bc keep in touch who knows we can go together and I can share my schedule with you in details- ..once again thanks for sharing I would appreciate all the tips ... Note: I have my panniers and will just buy a top - bigger box/ case I even have most camping equipment (tent, cooking etc, air bag etc.) Like a 5 year old kid playing camping in my garage hahhahahaha ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Tony- thanks for the advice- I have never taken my bike out of SK always rode around the city- I should admit that I am not a very very experienced rider- I took a course- ( a horrible riding course in moosejaw) then practiced a lot on my own on my Yamaha R3 ( a perfect bike for beginners) then passed the exam (road exam) no problems in the exam- then bought my Vstorm 650 Adventure and I love it
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Fuel tank

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow that's a beautiful bike. It looks like you have everything that you need ( bags, hand guards, etc). If it was nice out I would drive down tomorrow (any excuse to ride my bike) and we could go for a cruise for a day. Hey do you mind if I pm you?

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
I am really a new rider, never been out of Regina- except for white city/moosejaw etc - and I noticed that the wind is sometimes really scary - I started riding with Yamaha R# (beautiful bike esp. in city perfect) then after feeling a bit more confident I got 2020 Vstorm 650Tx and love it ... Next summer I really wanna go to Bc lets see...
One thing novice riders (and even a lot of experienced riders) don't know is that the bike is naturally stable in the wind. It will naturally find a nice stable attitude if left to do so.

What you have to do as a rider is let the bike .I've around in the wind and find a natural stable attitude. That means the bike will move around left and right and you need to let it do so. If you had a throttle lock or cruise control you can literally let go of the handlebars and the bike will continue to ride relatively straight. If you try and hant on tightly you will be fighting it an probably scare the crap out of yourself.

Next time you are in heavy winds try relaxing your grip and let the bike move around. I'm sure you will find the bike handles the wind just fine.

..Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow that's a beautiful bike. It looks like you have everything that you need ( bags, hand guards, etc). If it was nice out I would drive down tomorrow (any excuse to ride my bike) and we could go for a cruise for a day. Hey do you mind if I pm you?
Hi Tony- of course you can pm me... lol but my bike is in the garage for the winter until spring- I guess it is risky to ride the bike in this weather- dont you think so ? This is SK lol !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing novice riders (and even a lot of experienced riders) don't know is that the bike is naturally stable in the wind. It will naturally find a nice stable attitude if left to do so.

What you have to do as a rider is let the bike .I've around in the wind and find a natural stable attitude. That means the bike will move around left and right and you need to let it do so. If you had a throttle lock or cruise control you can literally let go of the handlebars and the bike will continue to ride relatively straight. If you try and hant on tightly you will be fighting it an probably scare the crap out of yourself.

Next time you are in heavy winds try relaxing your grip and let the bike move around. I'm sure you will find the bike handles the wind just fine.

..Tom
Thank you Tom but sometimes if I let my bike do whatever she wants I might end up in a ditch lol - but good advice appreciated ...

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
Thank you Tom but sometimes if I let my bike do whatever she wants I might end up in a ditch lol - but good advice appreciated ...
Just try relaxing your grip. The bike will move all oven but keep tracking. If you try and keep it upright you'll get blown off the road.

..Tom

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Tom. I did the relaxing thing and it worked pretty good up umtil the wind got over 60 kliks right on my side and then I was pooping my motor bike pants....lol. And of course the wind was coming at my side out of the ditch so it was pushing me right into the on coming traffic. Thats when I stopped and took an hour break and calmed down. Out in the west here we get some pretty crazy winds coming out of the mountains.

·
Administrator
14,470 Posts
Thanks Tom. I did the relaxing thing and it worked pretty good up umtil the wind got over 60 kliks right on my side and then I was pooping my motor bike pants....lol. And of course the wind was coming at my side out of the ditch so it was pushing me right into the on coming traffic. Thats when I stopped and took an hour break and calmed down. Out in the west here we get some pretty crazy winds coming out of the mountains.
I've ridden out west. I've ridden in 100 kph gusts and on a city street that happened to be one street over from a tornado [Google Vaughan Tornado] and the same thing applies.

It's counterintuitive but the stronger the wind the more this applies.

..Tom

301 - 314 of 314 Posts