StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cleaning my bike up after a long tour, and I had this thing just come out loosely in my hand. Where is the hose barb this thing attaches to or is it just a breather?

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looks to me like a breather. Trying to remember from my old wee, but I believe it routes along the edge of the side engine case. There should be a tab that holds in in place

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Looks like the tell tale hose for the Impeller.

If the mechanical seal at the rear of the Impeller is damaged coolant will leak into a chamber at the rear of the Impeller & come out of that pipe into the bash plate.

It prevents the seal to the motor being put under pressure and possible coolant getting past into the motor.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the prompt responses folks.

I thought it was just a breather, because it has no clamp or barb marking / stretching on it, but I obviously wanted to make sure, as it is clearly related to the coolant. I couldn't find a barb, but could find a place where it tucked in behind the oil filter.

However, I also found a chunk of broken metal that had been the round bottom of a mount at the bottom of the bike and was like, "whoa now, what is this all." and ran right along to ask the grownups what was happening. =)

The broken mount arc was determined to be from a footpeg (NEXT TIME DON'T RIDE DIRT LIKE A WILD MONKEY) and I wanted new footpegs anyway.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Suzuki SV's have the leak tube also. It's for the impending death of your shaft seal for coolant.

Not really an easy DIY project either, kinda a PITA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts