StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO of my bike lowered the ride 3/4" with AdventureTech links as well as dropping the front forks. I want to raise it back up by putting the original links back on and raising the front forks. When I look at the front forks the fork tube tapers just a tiny bit before the cap. On all my other bikes the stock position is with the top of the fork tube flush with the tree. If I do that with my '12 DL650 the the tapered portion would sit below the top of the tree. What should I put flush with the top of the tree: the top of the tube or where it starts to taper? Dropping an absolute 3/4" of an inch would put it with the top of the tube flush. Can anyone look at their stock '12 DL650 and advise? I've attached a photo to show where it is now....
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
From your pic it appears there is a 1/8" wintness mark where the fork originally sat in the upper triple clamp. Look at the junction of the cap and upper fork tube--about 1/8" below that it looks like that area was in the clamp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From your pic it appears there is a 1/8" wintness mark where the fork originally sat in the upper triple clamp. Look at the junction of the cap and upper fork tube--about 1/8" below that it looks like that area was in the clamp.
That 1/8" inch is the taper I was talking about....

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'll check, but I believe the upper tube sits in the upper clamp at the bottom start of that taper. I'll check on a friend's '14 DL650, same series as your '12.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The fork cap of my 09 Wee sits proud of the upper tree with no fork tube visible, although many recommend the fork tube sitting 15mm through the upper tree for better handling.
Yep.. Having the front sit a bit lower than stock (with the rear at stock height) will steepen the steering angle and make the bike quicker to steer... If you like to rail the twisties it can be fun to play with.. Have to be careful not to go too far with it though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts