StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I own a 2016 Wee that I have owned for 3 years, I invest all the money I can(with the permission of she who must be obeyed) Each time I come to the forum, I am blown away by the amount of money spent by members who talk about all the farkels like they cost pennies, not hundreds of dollars. What I wonder is where it all comes from? Are all these owners rolling in the dough? It seems so to me. I am not a poor guy, but I am just now retiring, and I know that I will NEVER be able to spend the money it takes to run with this crowd. I honestly don't understand how a bunch of "normal" guys can drop the bucks that I read about on every page, EVERYONE seems to have an unlimited supply of money to buy the countless expensive items it take to perfect their rides. I am honestly thinking about hanging up the helmet, frustrated that I cannot afford all the things I need and want. Do only rich guys buy V-Stroms?
Either people have a middling income and are frugal in other areas, or they make enough money that a $1000 here or there doesn't really matter. In the end, who cares? And what the heck does "run with this crowd" mean?? If you show up at a V-Strom event no one is going to care if your bike is bone stock or farkled to the max.

Keep in mind that amortization is a factor too. I have a fair amount of money in my Strom, but it's an '07 that I bought new in Oct of '06. Divide everything I've put into it by 14 years, and that's pretty cheap in the long run.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also prefer to buy my mods pre-owned, in that case, I can most likely resell them for the same price and not lose any money if I decide I don’t like them or go back to stock.

For me, I don’t mind spending money on motorcycle mods/accessories if they fit into one of two categories:

1) Safety. This applies to riding gear (I have higher-end suits, boots, gloves, airbag vest, etc - again, preferring to buy used.) This also applies to things like auxiliary lighting and additional brake lights.

2) Mods that allow me to ride more - either ride longer, or ride more often. This applies to things like aftermarket seat or different handlebar (more comfort = ride longer). Heated grips (comfort on cooler days = riding more often). Hard luggage (ride to go get groceries = riding more often).

I typically don’t spend money on “Performance” type mods.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wait...Everyone is missing the main point.

"I am honestly thinking about hanging up the helmet, frustrated that I cannot afford all the things I need and want. "

To me it sounds like you should give up riding. Especially if you can't find enjoyment in it just because you don't have a zircon encrusted twiddly dopper like the other guy! I rode a ratty old Ducati 250, half in primer, torn seat with a towel for a cover, with the tail light duct taped on, for a couple years. Why? Because I love to ride!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I rode a ratty old Ducati 250, half in primer, torn seat with a towel for a cover, with the tail light duct taped on, for a couple years. Why? Because I love to ride!!!
[/QUOTE
That was what I said in a different way. I choose to not have some things so I can ride cause it is important to me. You are absolutely right. When I was 16 I had a bike and no car. (In Canada).
I had no money, so I bought a 76 Kawasaki kz400 for $200 that ran very rough. Turned out it was running on one cylinder and just needed a spark plug. It was an ugly old bike, all I had was a ugly old helmet. But I was riding.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Its amazing what is affordable if you live within or below your means and do not rack up a bunch self inflicted bad debt.

Buying farkles second hand is always a great way to save money but if you are an instant gratification type buying used doesn't work out so well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep the thought of NOT riding scares me like from an injury or illness.

When I was young and scraping by ($20 week for groceries for young married couple poor) we still scraped enough together to buy Honda Interceptor 500 for $896 and Suzuki GS500E for $1,700 for her. Later spent $25 on a seat cover for the Honda and zero on anything else except 1 tire.

Riding keeps us sane. Certainly don't have to have every doo-dad that is available for a bike.

Now Jeep folks - WOW do they light $100 bills on fire

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,240 Posts
No, it's not cheap.

My biggest complaint about maintenance isn't so much the expense of OEM parts, as affordable alternatives are usually possible (e.g. fuel filter bypass modification). It's that it takes freaking forever to get OEM parts, due to a silly and antiquated distribution system.

·
Vendor
5,244 Posts
When I was in the Navy I rode a used Suzuki TS400 as a commuter bike. Why? Because it was all I could afford and I managed to not only have fun on it, but teach my wife how to ride a motorcycle as well.

What farkles are so important that you would give up riding not to have them. Luggage - go soft bags. Walmart has expandale duffles with wheels for $10. You can reinforce the bottom so you don't need a wide luggage rack.

Seriously list what you need an I'll bet we can come up with economical solutions. Model V-Strom as well. Heck I have a basket of parts I save for people looking for seconds. They are functionally perfect, but lack the wow factor hen taking them out of the package. After installation you will probably never remember they were discounted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do pretty good being a government employee, a wise man once told me "It's not what you make, it's how you spend it"

It's all about priorities. My motorcycles are my only source of entertainment, I like it that way.
I do not need a $1000 iphone, I need $1000 panniers. I do not need a $1000 TV, I need $1000 for my next adventure trip, etc.
Forget the starbucks that's $5 that can be funneled toward a farkel, it adds up fast.

·
Registered
106 Posts
These are the patched up old riding boots I wear. But the 2005 DL650.... farkled up just like I want it...! Maybe newer (not new) boots next year.. Maybe.. Most of my gear is used. Excpet helmets of course. At my age and limited income, I spend most of my money on what makes me happy...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I don't know who's spending big bucks (on bikes), but it's not me. My current ride, and only 2-wheel ride, is my 2012 Wee2 Adventure, which I bought 5 years ago for $5,150 (the $150 was for the guy to leave the nice Givi topcase on it - bracket was already in place, etc.). The OEM engine / crash guards broke, at the welds, so I took them off and threw them away. The Adventure model came with side cases, with which I'm satisfied, so there's that.

I've added a $20 throttle lock. Helmet is HJC. About $120, a couple years ago. Other than tires and refresh stuff (filter, valve adjust stuff, etc.), that's it. Essentially box-stock, and I have a blast, on it. Bought at 25K miles. About to turn over 50K miles. So, for $5,150, and some TLC, I've had access to a nice, trouble-free bike, that's now probably worth only $2,500, or so. That works out to ~$500 / year (not counting tires) for lots of fun, and plenty of miles commuting to work. Pretty cheap, I think. Of course I'm well satisfied. Next bike, if there is one, will probably be a 2020 Wee. Blue, please. :)

Reactions: Corsa

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Owners spending money on farkling their toys is what allows me to farkle my toys, along with my bills. Airplanes in this case. You have no idea what people will spend on toys.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I do pretty good being a government employee, a wise man once told me "It's not what you make, it's how you spend it"

It's all about priorities. My motorcycles are my only source of entertainment, I like it that way.
I do not need a $1000 iphone, I need $1000 panniers. I do not need a $1000 TV, I need $1000 for my next adventure trip, etc.
Forget the starbucks that's $5 that can be funneled toward a farkel, it adds up fast.
Corsa, I was right there with you in agreement all the way......until you got to Starbucks:cry:. Then you went a little too far.

I am thinking of a gofundme account to continue my farkling.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts

For me one big cost savings is in trucks. Most of the folks I know buy/lease a new 60K+ truck every couple of years. I like to buy new, but go for the midrange 35K truck and keep them 6-9 years. As with anything else it is all what you decide you want to spend money on. I could probably save a lot of money if I quit drinking, but what would be the fun in that ;)

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I live with my fiance, and she spends more money each week on garbage than I spend on motorcycling in a year. I mean LITERALLY garbage, and the making thereof.

Every Monday she buys enough food for five people, eats enough for two, and and on Thursday throws the rest in the garbage. She buys clothing like she's planning to live to be 200 years old, and throws out half of it every couple or months.
But let me buy new tires for the Wee or the Connie every three or four years and it's...."Why do you keep pouring money into those stupid motorcycles?"

Did I mention she makes over $150,000 / year and I make $30,000, so........................we each have our priorities.

Reactions: gristle

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
LOL. I remember when an offroading day was guaranteed to cost me $500-$2000 dollars in broken parts
When I was shooting trap I loved marathon doubles. I used to 7 cases (cases not boxes) of shells a day. ATA fee's, target fee's, 1-1/2 tanks of fuel, lunch and dinner. Usually twice a month. This was when shells were cheap and I was paying $2.50 to $3.25 a box buying by the skid. Each of thesetrip was at least $200 not counting the $7,000 firearm. I also shot local leagues and practice 2 or 3 times during the week. Wife and I also shop regular ATA events. All tolled with shells, fees food, hotels we were spending $8,000 to $10,000 dollars a year. This was from 1998 to 2008 before shells tripled in price.

Hobbies are expensive and I wouldn't trade one second of them for all the money I spent.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts