StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2016 Wee that I have owned for 3 years, I invest all the money I can(with the permission of she who must be obeyed) Each time I come to the forum, I am blown away by the amount of money spent by members who talk about all the farkels like they cost pennies, not hundreds of dollars. What I wonder is where it all comes from? Are all these owners rolling in the dough? It seems so to me. I am not a poor guy, but I am just now retiring, and I know that I will NEVER be able to spend the money it takes to run with this crowd. I honestly don't understand how a bunch of "normal" guys can drop the bucks that I read about on every page, EVERYONE seems to have an unlimited supply of money to buy the countless expensive items it take to perfect their rides. I am honestly thinking about hanging up the helmet, frustrated that I cannot afford all the things I need and want. Do only rich guys buy V-Stroms?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think owning a Strom, for the right reasons, is quite the opposite of spending to keep up with the gang. That's a Harley trap. I don't own V-Stom underwear, V-Strom jackets, boots or a V-Strom colostomy bag.
Get my drift?
As a retiree, I have certain priorities. And moto camping is at the top of the list. So my Wee has the modifications it needs to meet this interest. Peg lowering kit, skid plate, crash bars, etc.
All things that allow me to go camping for peanuts instead of the expensive vacation. Or expensive multiple vacations.
To me, that is called living. What the heck did I work all my life for if I can't optimize my retirement?
What are your priorities?
Why do you own the bike?
If you don't need any farkles don't buy any. If you do need them, for a reason that fits your activities, they will reward you beyond their cost.
Whatever you decide, the freedom of retirement and using what you worked for all you life to get a happy return on the investment is important. Whatever that is, don't cheap out on it. You earned it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I consider myself extremely cheap and so is the wife. We don't eat at restaurants. We look to save money on camping trips by boondocking, buying groceries etc.

I bought a V-Strom because I was to cheap to buy a BMW. That being said I also knew going into it that I was going to accessorize the V-Strom to my liking. I have no issue spending a few thousand on accessories to make it MY ride. It will end up being the way a like it with the accessories I like and still remain a relatively reasonable price. Many thousand less than a stock BMW.

When a new rider is purchasing a bike and let's say they have a $10,000 budget. I would suggest they spend a 2-3 thousand on riding gear and rider safety courses and the other $7,000 towards a the bike. Many of use on this forum have been riding for years. We have the gear and we're not likely working minimum wage jobs.

Our house is paid for and we have no debt. I have no issue spending a few hundred on bike accessories. It's way cheaper than drinking :)

BTW... we're DINKS. Dual income no kids.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I constantly have people giving me a kind of negative attitude like I’m rich cause I have a bike,sled,quad. But I drive a 1997 dodge, 2 wheel drive. Most of the people that are shocked by my toys, drive a vehicle worth more than all my toys and my truck together. It’s all I’m my priority’s in life. I live very cheap in some aspects so I can live pretty well in others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always say to myself: "Always buy something ONLY IF you can afford 2 of them!"
When I decided to buy a motorcycle last year, my budget was a lot higher than 8200 Euros, but I still decided to get the Wee instead of my dream bike (Z900RS), so I can afford gear, accessories and gas. It was painful, yes, but still the right decision.
And yes, the costs of owning a motorcycle is high in the western world, because it is mostly a fad thing for us, to be honest. Look at the people that depend on motorcycles for living (India, Thailand etc.); how many expensive bikes do you see? Very few, and yet there are millions of motorcycles on the roads every day...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would be interested in hearing what you think you need to add and why you think you need to add it?

I added some mirror extenders and a footpeg-lowering kit because I'm very tall and large: improved comfort and gave me a better field of vision to my rear. Seat hurt my ass on longer rides so I added an Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover: boosted my pain-free range up to a full tank of gas. Got tired of cleaning/smearing bugs on my helmet visor so bought a taller Givi Airflow windshield. Bug problem solved and riding in the rain is much nicer.

If I was of a normal size, I would never have bought the mirror extenders and peg-lowering kit. If I wasn't old, I probably wouldn't have needed the seat cover. The Airflow was my biggest (and most expensive) "not necessary but nice" addition.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Only worry about buying what YOU NEED.. don't take notice of what others spend.
Part of the perception of big spending is that multiple people are buying one or two new accessories, and because all those accessories differ it seems that people are spending big bucks freely.. but in reality someone spends $80 on a sidestand foot, another spends $300 on pannier frames, someone else spends $250 on a top box, a Givi screen... and so forth.. it is not one person spending big bucks in one hit.

Just buy the bits you need one at a time as you can afford them. 🏍 😎

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am the definition of frugal. I probably got lucky when buying the bike that previous owner outfitted it with good stuff. The cost of the bike with all of the goodies was not very high ($3,750). That included Happy Trails panniers ($1,200 approx.) Sargent seat ($400) Centerstand, engine guard, skid plate, MadStad windshield ($600 or more easily)

I have slowly added a few things over time (footpeg lowering kit! different windshield and a luxury item - heated grips).
I also did change some of my riding gear since I came from a Harley.

I always seek the best value on these items. Some are very fairly priced like AdventureTech sfuff.
Heated grips were 1/2 retail due to open box.
Bought some riding gear used for about 25% of retail. Other stuff, I have usually been able to find a deal if I was patient ($200 jacket for $80 new as an example)
Even got Yuasa batteries for 2 bikes at 50% retail. Dry packed so I had them over a year before needing them.
Stocked up on OEM oil filters ($6) and Honda oil ($5.50 gallon) at the same opportunity.

Like some others, we have several motorcycles but we live simply for the most part. All of the bikes were good values when purchased and most can be sold for what I paid.

Insurance on all the bikes through Dairyland is cheap since I don't have full coverage. Around $50 year per bike is typical cost.

Basically expenses now are tires etc. Owning multiple bikes, tires can get expensive so I do shop the sales and rebates if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Well, some of it is that the house was paid off a few years ago, kids are out of college. But otherwise you have some folks who could buy a brand new bike for 10K but decide to buy a 2K bike and nickel and dime it up to 5K.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
FWIW, I rarely farkle anything. Sometimes Grip Puppies because I have large hands. I suspect many with farkle fever have money available and it's looking for a place to go. Probably one of those "2 kinds of people" things, where one kind can be pretty happy with what they have, and the other needs to constantly 'improve' them. I could afford to farkle, I just don't see the point. A lot of wind in the face? It's a motorcycle. Hands cold? Get warmer gloves, or ride on a warmer day. Footpegs a little too high? Get over it.

Might matter more if you are spending days in a row on the bike. I ride for a couple of hours, every so often. My bikes are 'good enough'. I have no need or desire to 'perfect' them. Probably helps that I started out on crap bikes. Now anything that starts and runs reliably is going to make the cut. I don't ride socially, so no need to have things to show people, or have things to talk about, either.

I wish I could say the same about guns. Always something to make them shoot better or more accurately. But much easier to observe objective improvement.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Riding is a hobby or passion for many of us, and modding up a bike is part of the fun. Yup we lose our butts the more we add to them, but why not make it your own if the funds are there? But nobody is saying you have to add anything, but the reality is that few will ever leave a bike stock for various reasons. You do your thing, doesn't matter what anyone else does or thinks.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
You will find there are two types of "Farkeling". One is the universal standard, meaning they just have to buy stuff to look cool. Found on all brands. Two is those that ride a bike a lot and need to improve what the factory bike comes with. Also found on all brands. Buying a BMW doesn't mean it won't need the same basic changes many make for high mile riding.
My DL 650 could have been ridden to work every day with no money spent. I would have removed the windshield as it was torture to ride behind.
But the truth is that I have ridden on trips of thousands of miles on it, and 800 mile days sprinkled in. If you can ride a stock bike in comfort doing that, you are a riding God. I am not. So here comes the money for upgrades.
Seat and windshield are the two things that most effect comfort on long trips. Luggage speaks for itself, you need stuff to travel ( at least in a civil manner...).
Seat=$500 or so
Windshield=$250 or so
Luggage=$600
Little things like footpeg kit, material to fab highway pegs, throttle lock =$200

That is a minimum to spend in my book. So you have spent over $1500 on the bike after purchasing it. But that value allows 3-4 times the amount of use of the bike over time. A very good return on investment.

Buying a good used bike with accessories already in place is the best way to buy a bike on a budget.

Where does all the money come from for what I spend on bikes? I have worked hard all my life and if I was not making the money I thought I should I changed jobs or profession. Worked overtime. But mostly I will say that never drinking alcohol has saved me more than what I spend on bikes many times over!!! I still don't spend a lot on bikes compared to some. I tend to keep a bike many years, which makes the money I spend both on purchase and farkeling to work out in my favor. I am a BIG proponent of buy what you want, not what is cheap, and keep it for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
I wish I could say the same about guns. Always something to make them shoot better or more accurately. But much easier to observe objective improvement.
Well, there is an answer - different people spend money on different things. (I've often had your same thought on people who post pictures of a bazillion guns that they own)

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can also farkle with a lot of used items. I bought my racks and panniers off Big B here used. That saved a LOT of money off of buying them from Suzi or the manufacturer. Really about 1/3 the cost of new. I bought a center stand new, but, buying a set of stands was almost as much as the center stand and the center stand is permanent. The bike itself was used and only cost about $1k with a bike trade and paying the state their pound of flesh for the right to drive it. I bought a dry bag off a friend for $25 that normally costs $170. I bought a tank bag off CL for $25 that normally costs $150 and the guy pitched in a set of normal rear links for free so I could ditch the lowering links. He also offered up an 18L Givi rear case if I wanted it (free, I declined). I've put in LED bulbs on almost everything and probably have $200 invested there with the aux lights and AdvTech shelves included. All in this bike probably cost me about $1500 total investment. That's just slightly more than a mortgage payment. It's closer to $2000 if you include replacing my worn out helmet and the addition of a mesh jacket to replace me torn one. The only thing left to farkle is off-road protection. And that will probably be $500.

Now, on the flip side, my retirement plan is to die of heart failure while doing a wheelie down I95 or something ;). I'm woefully unprepared for that.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
A lot of farkles are just bike jewelry.

I put panniers, a skid plate, and crash bars on mine. That is about it.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Farkle on a budget. Buy USED! I've gotten several items from the for sale section of the forum. Even gotten Aerostich jackets virtually like new for pennies on the dollar. Same with the luggage. Ain't pretty but it works.
I don't buy helmets that cost hundreds of dollars. Scorpion and Bilt, by Cycle Gear make helmets that work well when put to the test and only cost about $100.
In some cases it worth paying the premium, when on sale, for the better gear like boots. Waterproof is a good feature cus rain covers are a PITA.
Oh, it helps to have socked away your 401 and any other savings during your work life. Inheriting well is a pleasant thing too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I learned from my first bike that I can't afford many farkles, so the plan for the Wee was to buy one that someone else had already done. $4,000 Canadian Dollars got me a low mileage 07, Skid Plate, Hand Gaurds, upgraded windshield, engine gaurds, centre stand, three piece luggage set, all on a bike that needed nothing to pass a safety inspection and start to ride. I don't worry about the guys with brand new bikes all kitted out, they've got their priorities, I've got mine, I'm happy to ride with any of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any hobby costs money, like others here, get a car and keep till worn out, still cheaper than a lot of hobbys, such as shooting, golfing, race cars, classic cars etc. For me the vstrom is worrh it as a escape, and for the relaxation

·
Registered
658 Posts
Let the millionaires buy new. In 2012, my '06 650 cost me $4k and came with engine guards, a center stand, top case...and under 10k miles on the odometer.

My bike was actually part of my retirement strategy. I went without a car for years and saved around $40k. That's $1,600 of passive income every year for as long as I'm around, it'll pay for lots of trips and parts.

When I finally took it across the country last year, I didn't hesitate to drop $200 on a secondhand Sargent seat to be more comfortable. Pretty much stock otherwise. Got 150k on the clock, who knows if it'll ever stop.

You have a nice bike. Don't hang up the helmet, ride way more and get the most out of what you already have. Most people aren't paying any attention to what bells and whistles you have attached.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts