StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just renewed my registration and insurance. Now I have to remove my tail bag and seat to put the certificates in their place. What a hassle. It's not a very convenient spot. And if I ever get in an accident or pulled-over... well, you get the picture.

So it got me wondering; where do you store your registration and insurance papers?

Thx

·
Registered
765 Posts
Under the seat in a zip lock bag.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A workmate suggested photocopying them downsized to keep in your wallet (or purse, Janice ;) ) and keep the originals at home. I'm currently keeping the originals in the bike and the photocopy in my wallet... if I get into a registration issue with a LEO and he wants to see the original, I still have them, just have to dig them out.

I've also noticed that the Givi case I got has a "document" folder in the lid... I could keep them in there, but I don't always have the case on the bike and would hate to pull away without them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Depending on the color of the sky, my papers (and owner's manual) are stored under the seat in a ziplock bag, or in the document holder in my Givi topcase.

Jamie

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello WARainman,

I keep a copy of my regestration, proof of insurance and my operators license xeroxed on one peice of paper in ziplock bag under the seat.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
A workmate suggested photocopying them downsized to keep in your wallet (or purse, Janice ;) ) and keep the originals at home.
I think Janice keeps her papers in a Ziploc baggie, with her stash.

·
Registered
184 Posts
two replies, 1 you have to have the actual reg. and ins. card not copies if you get pulled over, photo copies are not legal proof. 2 Buy a sargent seat, they are not only more comfortable, but have a nice little round water tight plastic tube to keep all of your papers in and dry.

·
Administrator
13,351 Posts
That may vary by the municipality.

In Ontario, Canada, the ownerships says:

"Ontario law requires that this permit or a true copy be carried in the vehicle for which it was issued while the vehicle is being operated on a highway."

Like most, I leave my ownership papers in a zip-lock bag under the seat with my books.

For insurance I carry originals on me. I am not as sure whether carrying copies of the insurance is valid here or not but it is very common for insurance companies to fax or email me copies of the insurance slips for their clients to use when they drive away with their new cars. (I sell high end sports cars.) If it isn't per the letter of the law here I suspect most reasonable officers would have no issue with a copy.

..Tom

two replies, 1 you have to have the actual reg. and ins. card not copies if you get pulled over, photo copies are not legal proof. 2 Buy a sargent seat, they are not only more comfortable, but have a nice little round water tight plastic tube to keep all of your papers in and dry.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Depending on the color of the sky, my papers (and owner's manual) are stored under the seat in a ziplock bag, or in the document holder in my Givi topcase.

Jamie
????????Sorry, I don't get the significance of the colour of the sky on this one??????

·
Registered
628 Posts
I keep mine in a ziplock bag under the seat. I have my topcase mounted far enough back that I can get the seat off without removing the topcase.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mine sits in my wallet in the inside zippered pocket of my coat. I don't go anywhere without my wallet.:rolleyes:

·
Hodad
254 Posts
That may vary by the municipality.

In Ontario, Canada, the ownerships says:

"Ontario law requires that this permit or a true copy be carried in the vehicle for which it was issued while the vehicle is being operated on a highway."
[snip]
I suspect most reasonable officers would have no issue with a copy.

..Tom
In the Canadian legal context a 'true copy' means a copy of a document that has been certified by a statutory declaration made a notary public. That said, I'm sure most LEOs would be fine with just a regular photocopy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts