StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what might be a next bike for me? Any thoughts on what bike is a step up from the Vstrom 650? Don't misunderstand, just got my new 2011 Vstrom in March, have 2k miles on it and LOVING IT! In my humble opinion, the Vstrom 650 fits me perfectly, it a ton of fun to ride, and really does a great job on the twisties in Upstate N.Y. where I live:hurray:

That said, what would be a bike up from the Vstrom 650 that is as much fun, with more power and heavier without being a "sit on your butt" cruiser?
Any thoughts on what bike YOU would recommend, maybe for more stability and presence for highway riding? Not interested in two up riding. Curious as to what other strommers think. In a perfect world the "boss" would be o.k. with me having more than 1 bike, but have wasted too much $$$ over the years on fancy cars. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Wondering what might be a next bike for me? Any thoughts on what bike is a step up from the Vstrom 650? Don't misunderstand, just got my new 2011 Vstrom in March, have 2k miles on it and LOVING IT! In my humble opinion, the Vstrom 650 fits me perfectly, it a ton of fun to ride, and really does a great job on the twisties in Upstate N.Y. where I live:hurray:

That said, what would be a bike up from the Vstrom 650 that is as much fun, with more power and heavier without being a "sit on your butt" cruiser?
Any thoughts on what bike YOU would recommend, maybe for more stability and presence for highway riding? Not interested in two up riding. Curious as to what other strommers think. In a perfect world the "boss" would be o.k. with me having more than 1 bike, but have wasted too much $$$ over the years on fancy cars. Just wondering.
If you like the 650 but want more power and weight (why would you want more weight though :confused:) it sounds like the DL1000 would fit the bill.
Not sure what more "presence" means??

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
For me with the kind of roads I like to ride, I couldn't take advantage of more power. Lighter would be good.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If I was going to move on from the Wee Strom, it would be for a sport tourer... like the Bandit 1250SEA . In the meantime I am making the 650 as close as I can to exactly what I want.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
The natural successor to the strom is the gunbus. I'm sure the boss won't mind.
Good plan, just don't get one with the optional seat warmer. :green_lol:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just use your imagination and invision a adventure bike, with the same great ergonomics with a drizzling of refinement...

* a huge increase of an additional 90 HP,
* an upgrade from lame 2 pot calipers to brembo radial mounted ones.
* traction control and ABS
* ditching the damper rod forks for one of a kind electronically adjustable ones.
* ditching the enkei wheels for marchesini wheels.
* LED tail lights, and handguards with intergrated turn signals.
* a cool digital dash with all sort of adjustments.
* a super light weight trellis frame resulting in a bike that weighs some 40 pounds less than the weestrom.
* a racebred engine with a redline through the ceiling due to a valve train that won't float at any feasible RPM...

just imagine if this bike existed..... oh wait it does.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts

I went through a similar thing about a year after picking up my 2009 Wee. I saw a 1995 VFR 750 for sale with 8500 miles and picked it up for $2000. They are sort of my Jeckle and Hyde bikes.

If I am heading out on a long ride and want to relax and take in the scenary (aka a lot of stops and back roads) then I take the Wee. Pack up the camera and tent and I am gone.

If I am looking for speed and the rush from a seemingly unending supply of torque and horsepower then I take the Viffer. Usually I don't remember the sights or where I went but I really remember the road when I am on the Viffer.

My only advice is to pick up a good used bike for your second one. Unless you have unlimited funds... in that case there is this 2002 Blackbird I would really like to have....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Keep your eye on the Yamaha Super Tenere. Let Yamaha get a bunch of them stateside to a point where you don't have to put a deposit on one, sight unseen, to order. This will probably happen before you need tires for your new Wee. Then take a test ride. The power and handling is supposed to be great. Check out the Yamaha website or the Super Tenere forum. They both may have videos of this bike in action. I think the forum is super-tenere.net (with a hyphen).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any thoughts on what bike YOU would recommend, maybe for more stability and presence for highway riding?
I agree with the other poster that you sound like you're in need of a sport touring bike. There are a number of good ones out there. My last bike was a Kaw Concours and with 1000 CC, it was good to go; easy to ride on the highway but still nimble in the twisties. The newer Concours is supposed to be even better. If you're made of money, you could look at the Beemers, in particular the RT. There is the GS/Adventure, but personally if I could have two bikes, I'd want the second one to be very different from the Wee, not just a bigger version.

Like I said, plenty to look at ... Honda ST, the FJR, or stay with Suzuki and check out the Bandit.

Keep us posted as your thinking develops on this, and what you think as you try out the candidates.

Have fun, the exploring can be the best part!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where do we go from here

I think Jack H has it right, at least for me. I don't think I can or will ever get rid of my Weestrom, it is just too damn fun!. Just took a two hour ride along the farm country of the Adirodacks of Upstate N.Y., and the fun factor was +10.

If I can and do get another bike, I have been eyeing the Kawasaki Concours 14 or Honda St1300 as long range tourers. Maybe a winter steal on a 2009 with no miles.

I am now realizing that multiple bikes may be necessary!:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
575 Posts
i'm still hooked on the prospect of getting a multistrada 1200, but it'd have to be a used base model... my piggybank is a little anorexic.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Patrick Godet in Rouen France builds 1150cc, 5 speed Egli Vincent's...google "Godet Egli"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts