StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
where do you mount spot lights?

Wonder if there is other possibility then crash bars.
Stock lamp seems to be weak and IO need stronger light.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I scratched my head for a while looking for a location for my extra lights. Was considering making brackets that mounted to the frame of the bodywork but just ended up just buying crash bars.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I scratched my head for a while looking for a location for my extra lights. Was considering making brackets that mounted to the frame of the bodywork but just ended up just buying crash bars.
yeah, that beak doesn't leave many options :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you can make your own braces for the lights you can try various options. I put lights in two places. One set of driving lights I hung off my handlebar ends under the grips. Can still make a lock to lock turn. These give me light where I turn the handlebars. The yellow fog lights I did like Brock showed above and bolted them down by the calipers. These lights always illuminate forward like the headlight.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Offnote: did you already purchase a pair of lights you want to mount ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Offnote: did you already purchase a pair of lights you want to mount ?
not yet.

that caliper mounting is interesting idea, I bet it illuminate road good but visibility wise is probably too low? How is it attached, just longer bolts?

·
Registered
385 Posts
that caliper mounting is interesting idea, I bet it illuminate road good but visibility wise is probably too low? How is it attached, just longer bolts?
for mine, I used the fender bolt and the reflector bolt. Took the fender bolt out and slid my brace inbetween the fender and fork tube, then used the original bolt. The rear of my brace is held by a bolt that goes where the reflector use to go. I removed the reflector and bought a bolt to fit in there. The brace is a couple inch long piece of angle iron where the vertical surface is attached via those bolts and the horizontal surface holds the light.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I found out the hard way that many of the lights made for this (for motorcycles) are priced pretty steep.

But you can get creative and go for the DIY rather home grown set for cheap and still get decent lights.

I made my light brackets out of highway peg mounts from my old bike. Longer bolts -home made spacers.

The lights I got from Ebay ($22) From: Yitamotor He has some really good stuff on there.
Came with 2 lights -wiring harness- Switch -relay. Been working fine since install.

And I have his LED lights on 3 other vehicles . No problems Here are pics :

Attachments

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I mounted mine to the crash bars with some old mountain bike handle bar stems I cut up. I can find these for a couple of bucks each at the local bicycle wreckers.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
If that's a reference to mine, they're on the fender bolts, not calipers. Yep, longer bolts, spacers, lock washers, etc. Mine are for being seen, not to see, so can't really comment on effectiveness of road light-up. They're small and have a wide light spread. They seem to get me attention. Having the 2 down low helps. The brain interprets low as close.

If I was shooting for driving lights I'd prob go with the Adventuretech bracket or mount to crash bars to get them higher.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have had ZERO instances where people did NOT see me coming toward them.

If I feel I have to I will do a quick flash of the high beam to get the message accross.

For what these cost me they have paid for themselves 10 times over. I could replace
these 20 times for what a genuine dealer light kit costs.

And I know stuff from china is cheap stuff. But sometimes you find a decent vendor
that actually sells reliable stuff. Yitamotor

·
Registered
454 Posts
I mounted mine to the crash bars with some old mountain bike handle bar stems I cut up. I can find these for a couple of bucks each at the local bicycle wreckers.
Which model Clearwaters is this? Looks great.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Which model Clearwaters is this? Looks great.
The model is Darla. I bought refurbs....saved $100 off list. They are expensive no doubt, but I feel these lights have some good qualities, (handle bar mounted Dimmer, full on with Horn or high beams, well focused lense..Made in the USA)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts