Strom Trooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out about 8:30 and headed south. Orting, Eatonville, Elbe, Morton and Randle. Got some hot coffee in Randle and while sipping in in front of the store to warm up I noticed that my reason for feeling a little cold was that all my jacket vents were open:headbang:. With that problem solved, I headed down FS25 at a somewhat rapid pace. This is such a great Strom road with its frost heaves. Sportbikes get beat up pretty bad on this stuff.
Didn't stop until McClellens Overlook. Mt. St. Helens from the overlook.

Then on down to Carson and Stevenson. Was going to eat there at the El Rio Cafe, but it was to busy and I didn't want to wait. So back up river to Lyle.
Shots from along the way.

Lunch in Lyle and then took the turn to Klickitat. Many a curve later I find this temp. bridge(One lane) that wasn't there last year(Winter washout?).

Continuing on the road becomes 1 1/2 lanes up and out of the canyon.

Once on top it flattens out and becomes mostly wheat fields on into Goldendale.

From here its up Satus Pass. Last month there was a large forest fire that swept across the summit area. It was like this for several miles.

Then on to Yakima and home via Chinook Pass.
430 miles total and home at 6 for dinner.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well I did try the FS 70 to Easton Lake route and as Don mentioned that route was impassable so I detoured to Stampede pass to get to I 90. That was a westbound parking lot and there were some hills that I came down that I wasn't going back up so I took the long way home. I went east to Cle Elum, filled my belly and my gas tank. From there I went to Ellensburg (discovering that I chose correctly when I found the I 90 parking lot extended a few miles east past Cle Elum), took Canyon road to Yakima followed Don's trail from there (about an hour behind you) over Chinook pass.

These first 3 are the panorama from up in the hills.

Then there were a few challenges. Here I figured out that I need better tires and more experience going down steep hills with big rocks in them.

I inched down the rest of that hill very slowly. (It was the previously mentioned hill that I wasn't going back up) and made it several miles further before I found this pile of dirt in the road. here is what the bike looked like from the top of that hill then a view from the other side.

Exercised my skid plate and got past it then a ways further found the first washout.

These are some of the rocks my street tires had to deal with.

So I got past that one to finally find the one that I wasn't getting past

Here was a little bypass trail but after a while I convinced myself that I did not have enough dirt riding experience or knobby enough tires to try it.

At this point I had to use the cell phone gps along with the paper map to find an alternate route out of the woods which as Don mentioned was Stampede pass. Only one more pic of the trip... One of my purposes this day was to get a picture of a rhododendron plant for the picture game... all that forest I passed through and did not see one until nearly back in Orting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
NO pics but my boss and I went to Colfax to visit a recently retired associate. 340 miles of hilly road with some sections of twisties around the Snake R. It was 99 degrees F at Lower Granite Dam. Stampede Pass sounds cooler.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Don, I was in the Goldendale area on Sunday. I don't ride on Labor day due to traffic. I rode from Lynnwood to the Bluebird Inn in Bickleton for lunch. Then I continued on to Goldendale. I found out the best part of the 35 miles between Bickleton and Goldendale was tar and chipped this year, and had quite a bit of loose stuff in the corners...so that became a 35 mph road as the signs indicate...sigh.

Then time was getting short, so I headed up to Yakima and home via 82 and I-90. About 510 miles and some great views on a clear, sunny day.

The lunch spot:

View of Mt. Adams near Goldendale:

Followed by an evening campfire in the cul-de-sac with the rest of my neighborhood:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Road the KLR way out in the woods looking for a deer to stick. No success that day.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron- There are more washouts past your point of turnaround. Glad it all worked out. Thats a great area to explore.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dhally- I still would rather be on the bike even if it's that hot. Yakima was 88-90.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Craig- Ate there in 06. SBNW poker run check point was inside.

Glad to see so many got out.

Remember everyone that Robs Wrench session and BBQ is in October. Then hopefully a Miners Burger Run a week or 2 later.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oregon - Heppner, Halfway, Joseph

I took a three day ride from Spokane, Washington to Heppner, Oregon to get to some really beautiful, twisty roads. I've posted a Google Maps link below for the Oregon specifics. We rode from Heppner to near Spray, then over to Monument, then a quick jaunt up 395 so we could get to the Old West Scenic Bikeway (awesome!), then took 26 over to where 245 starts so we could ride up over Dooley Mountain (Oregon's "little dragon") and on into Baker City for a early dinner. We camped in Halfway where they had their Labor Day rodeo going on. The next day we rode through the mountains to Joseph which was beautiful, but couldn't be taken fast due to the nature of the road. I loved it though. After that the rain started up and we had a wet trip through the Rattlesnake canyon heading toward Lewiston, Idaho and home. It was a great three days!!!

The Oregon Route

It was serious fun!! :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I rode with my wife, forum member V-Tom and his wife Sandy (4 bikes) to Wal-Mart, MR Cycles, Hess Gasoline, and ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) store and the Pisgah Inn for lunch. Then we parted ways, my wife and I home and Tom and Sandy on to the Cherohala Skyway and Deals Crap. About 65 miles total, a third of which were logged on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I know it sounds lightweight, but do I earn any street cred if I mention that I had just returned the previous day from a trip to Fort Lauderdale, Florida through heat, surly traffic, thunderstorms and doddering dingleberries in Dodge minivans on Greywolfs old highway beast. BTW, it performed flawlessly, I even caught some air off a rural Georga RR crossing.

My dream was to be in Ohio, but there was a family event down South that I had managed to blow off for a few years, this year, it happened to coincide with my Mom's birthday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
on my new adventure on Sunday.

I bet there are a few who know where this is. Cracks me up every time I ride over it. Always a good photo op.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Totally spaced it off. It was a pleasure meeting you in Lyle. Both my sons thought it a little weird and cool at the same time that I "knew" you. Our adventure took some unexpected twists and turns that week, but we made it home unscathed. Thanks for coming over and saying "hi"
Paul

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts