StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install my tender and heated jacket plugs somewhere out of the way, not dangling, but not stashed under the seat all the time. Does anyone have a clever solution?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
What's wrong with keeping them under the seat when not in use? It's an excellent solution.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I installed flush mount plugs in front of the seat lock panel on my V2, it works great there because if you forget to unplug when you get off the bike they will pull out on their own.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
I put my Gerbing outlet at the front left of the gas tank. Don't see the need for hiding the things. The 12 volt outlet, cigar lighter, is near there too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Behind left hand side panel - I have an 05 Wee and there’s a factory cut out in the lower edge of the left hand side panel (above left side passenger peg?) which is just big enough to get your fingers in to grab the end of the plug. My battery tender lead lives in there and tucks nicely out of the way and has never falken out. Its also close to the battery and easy to route the cable.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The nicest thing about stowing a short lead under the seat and bringing it out only when needed is the plug connection stays in line with the wires on both sides of the connection. If you put a socket on the bike for heated gear for example, you can get off the bike, forgetting about the connection, and walk in a direction far from in line, which could damage the connector or wires. I put a connector in the plastics on my '07 and realized I needed to make a short wire jumper from the bike connector to the suit connector to prevent problems. I had the wires to the connector on the bike come loose a couple of times because I didn't get enough heat in the solder connection. Any additional connection is one more thing that can go wrong. On my '12, I just stowed the connector and its lead wire under the seat. It was cheaper, simpler and more reliable plus didn't modify any stock parts which could be interpreted by the next owner as damage.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I rarely use mine but when I do put control in side pocket of tank bag. Stash in box when I am off. This AM at 31 no need at all as my one finger mittens and liner gloves do well if less than 30 miles.Did hook up the wire to battery this week but has to be in teens and going over 35 miles or so before I use it.Did check gloves after hook up to make sure still working.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Battery leads degrade over time, so I recommend buying an extra and keeping it as a spare for trips etc. Take great care not to stress your cables (especially the y-cables) or let the plug tips hit the ground. It's not fun to be in the middle of a long trip with one working glove.

For the original question, I drape my connector over the passenger grab handle when not in use, and it works fine that way. During the summer I'll stash the lead under the seat.

If you want a more elegant solution, they do make dash-mount sockets, but keep in mind that the longer and lower gauge the cable, the more voltage drop (and less heating capacity).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I originally had mine coming out on the right side next to the rear preload knob. The amount of leads wired to my battery grew with my aux lights so I decided to get rid of it. Previous owner wired the 12V socket directly to battery, so why not use that? Wired a male socket to my tender lead and just plug directly in to the socket. Hard to jump on the bike and miss it too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I typically have one tender plug into which I plug a separate fused adapter into for my heated jacket. When I go on a trip I connect a second SAE style plug with a power outlet adapter for charging my phone, powering my GPS or whatever. I find that as soon as it gets cold, or on a long trip when I am using my heated jacket daily or semi daily, I just leave the tender plug dangling out from under my seat and thought it might be nice to have something a little cleaner. Greywolf, nice point on pulling them at an angle when I forget to unplug, I didn't think about that feature of the dangling connection. I have certainly forgotten to unplug enough times to have broken a connector or lead by now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts