StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks. I´ve installed a oxford grip heater in my dl650(2015). Currently its connected directly to the battery, if i forget to turn it off, i will be in trouble. I´ve been thinking on add a relay connected on ignition, so i won´t have battery issues. Any suggestions? thanks for your support

·
Registered
894 Posts
There is a factory connection point for heated grips. Check the “sticky” aux connector and heated grip connector location. That might be a good option for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, I had no idea that the harness have the connector for heated grips... and believe it or not, the oxford grips were installed by suzuki dealer... i´ll go back there and ask them to rearrange the wires properly. thanks

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Oxford recommend you hook directly to the battery.

They will shut down a few minutes after stopping the motor so no relay is required.

I have been using Oxfords for years and have never had a problem hooked directly to the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I hooked my oxford grips direct to the battery per the instructions. They are designed to shut off when sensing low battery voltage if you leave them on. Nothing wrong with hooking them up to switched power or using a relay though for a bit of peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Thanks! And there's no problem with the bar ends? I have Barkbusters installed.

I suppose you have had no trouble with them being water-resistant, too?
Oxfords come in a number of types if you go with the adventure model you will need to cut the length of the grip to suit your bike (its only rubber), this can be helpful if you have barkbusters and the spacer between the end of your bars and the BB frame, you can have the grips long enough to cover the spacer if you wish.

I fitted some oxford sports to a mates bike & found them to be very soft and are not lasting as well as my adventure ones.

No problems with water.

·
Registered
14,142 Posts
My Oxfords are the early style with the rheostat and a red indicator light and they will heat forever. I mind the red indicator light when leaving the bike.
I've not gotten around to a relay and fuse block like a good Strommer.
i do have a few EB bits and they are plug and play as indicated. Good stuff!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oxford Heaterz are computer controlled and the computer tracks voltage. A drop in voltage for longer than 30 seconds signals the computer to switch off the grips. Lovely safety margin and no relays required (tested myself, works a peach.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got the oxford heated grips on mine and the battery saving mode doesn't work on it I've forgotten to turn them off twice and both times its killed my battery. I'm looking at wiring them so they turn off with the ignition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts