StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the Wee to the wash for her first bath tomorrow. I know not to use the pressure washer on the bike but are there any particular areas that anyone can recommend not getting wet?

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Funny you should mention this. I've got the hose out right now for mine. I always cover with rags: ignition, under seat area, handlebars switches, wheel bearing areas and locks are covered with small pieces of tape.

And I use a low pressure.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I wash carefully as well. Just be careful around electical connections, wiring etc. In other words don't shoot water into these areas. I don't cover anything with cloth or towels.

I use my shop air compressor to dry the bike completely in 35 years never had an issue with compressed air drying a bike. A leaf blower also works quite well to get most of the water off. Then you can go over the bike with a terry cloth towel. After washing I always start the bike let it run and warm up. Might even do a quick loop up the road. This will remove the rest of the water.

And I usually finish up with Plexus plastic cleaner polish on w/s and paint.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bikes are designed to run in the rain with no problem.
Water can be shooted everywhere, including switches... OK lol dont fill up the exhaust...
But be carefull when blowing compressed air, thats how you could have some water force his way where it could not go with water hoses or rain...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bikes are designed to run in the rain with no problem.
Water can be shooted everywhere, including switches... OK lol dont fill up the exhaust...
But be carefull when blowing compressed air, thats how you could have some water force his way where it could not go with water hoses or rain...
Yup - wash with glee, dry carefully.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What is this washing thing you speak of?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Chain will rust up.

I'd avoid the switches on the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
When I worked at the Harley dealership, we frequently had to remind our customers that the product was intended for outdoor use.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Its a weestrom.... Ride it hard put it away wet!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you're afraid of water, don't take it out of the garage....

Once a month, S100 and a hose then toweled dry and ridden to get the rest out. Never had a problem - with any bike. Been doing it this way since 1981....

Never had a problem with the chain either - it's cleaned, adjusted and greased/oiled at bath time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sahara dust rain, not optimal for washing

Rain. Mine's getting the first bath this week. Forgot to cover it last night...
Here we sometimes get this red-brown-dusty rain from the deserts across the Mediterranean. Doesn't help the cleaning process much at all.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You mean we are supposed to wash our Stroms? Mine has had only one purposeful bath in it's life. Still looks good and runs well to boot. These bikes aren't cruisers to polish and ride for 4 hours on weekends.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the best thing ive ever bought is a simple leaf blower and after washing my bikes i blow all the water off the bike with it ...it works really well and leaves your bike nice and dry ....

·
Registered
97 Posts
You mean we are supposed to wash our Stroms? Mine has had only one purposeful bath in it's life. Still looks good and runs well to boot. These bikes aren't cruisers to polish and ride for 4 hours on weekends.
:bom_stupid:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I never use a pressure washer on any of my bicycles or motorcycles. Too much of a chance to inject water into bearings or electrical switches. A friend of mine screwed up his carbon fiber road bike by pressure washing all of the grease out of the bottom bracket and there was some grinding going on in there.

I use a brush, bucket with carwash soap and a hose nozzle on the 'shower' setting. Afterwards, I dry it with a cordless leaf blower. I do periodically wash all my two and four wheel vehicles for the sake of appearance, corrosion protection, and I find it easier to work on a clean field.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did 'kind of' wash the Vee over the weekend. Started by cleaning off all of the flying insect victims, which turned into a partial wax and a little armour all. Sprayed the dirt off the luggage and oiled the chain. No bucket, no suds. She's cleaner than she should be.....and I don't like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You CAN safely use high pressure washer

I live on 1000 acres and need to travel along a rutted track to a dirt road and then travel 2km on that to hit sealed butumen. As you can imagine the bike gets pretty dirty whether it is muddy or dry.

I have found I can use a high pressure washer (using bore water to boot), however as with most things in life a bit of caution and common sense are required when doing this. I limit the high pressure to the OEM cowling which (supposedly) protects the oil filter and under the rear wheel arch where dirt and mud tend to build up. I use the high pressure unit without the nozzle to spray a mist of car wash and bore water over the bike (the washer has a tube to siphon from the car wash). I then use a bucket with tankwater (i.e. rain water) to hand wash the bike and then rinse this off with the high pressure washer. I stand about 3 feet back at least and keep the washer moving so the water contacting the bike is no more than what a severe rainstorm would produce. After this I use a 12v camping shower to spray rain water from a 25lt tank all over the bike to thoroughly rinse off the bore water.

The bike looks great and I have never had a problem. Of course it would be simpler to just hook a hose up to the rainwater tank but the tank is only a few feet off the ground so there is no real pressure, even from a short length of hose.

I think a clean bike MAY be a safer bike as (depending upon the colour (color for you North Americans)) it can be more visible on the road as opposed to a mud or dirt encrusted machine. That said, to each their own though. :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I love to get my Strom muddy and dirty, means you are using it as intended :thumbup:

Doesn't mean it won't get a good wash though, bring it back to it's sparkling best :yesnod:

How lazy would you have to be to not be able to get out there and give it a once over every now & then :confused:

I wash mine with a small home pressure washer and it comes up great. Leave it to air dry and then a quick "slick mist" spray over the bodywork, makes washing next time easier :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts