StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone with experience in traction control please educate me (us) on when to engage traction control. Should traction control be turned off when on dirt? Thanks for any insight.:confused:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Not unless you have experience on dirt bikes.

You can't power slide with TC engaged, but basically if you are just riding through the dirt section and trying to not fall down , not a problem.

Pete

·
Registered
449 Posts
The TC when on setting 1 on the new Strom will let you slightly power slide in gravel enough to use wheel spin to help turn the bike. I have ridden mine probably 300 miles on gravel so far and setting 1 works well. It does not allow the bike to do a wheelie but it will let you get the front end light to get over pot holes. I would reserve setting 2 for rain use.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think traction control is fluff and I wish I didn't have to pay for it. Mine remains off. Hope I don't sound like too much of a braggart or an idiot, but I've been in a lot of weather over the years and, especially with today's modern tires, I've always been in control. (Hope this doesn't hex me.:jawdrop:) Hard rain, I watch my speed or just avoid it. And in the dirt, who doesn't love to rocket rocks off the back wheel?

·
1,323 Posts
I think traction control is fluff and I wish I didn't have to pay for it. Mine remains off. Hope I don't sound like too much of a braggart or an idiot, but I've been in a lot of weather over the years and, especially with today's modern tires, I've always been in control. (Hope this doesn't hex me.:jawdrop:) Hard rain, I watch my speed or just avoid it. And in the dirt, who doesn't love to rocket rocks off the back wheel?
I low-sided a CB700SC on an onramp last year in the rain. There was silt and oil on the road and I had cold, hard tires. It happened just as I was accelerating through the apex. I bet traction control would have helped then.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I know a BMW 1600 rider who thinks TC was the cause of his fall. He was on hard pavement going around a turn fast and hit some gravel. He thinks when he slipped in the gravel, the TC retarded the throttle so when he got through the gravel his rear continued the skid. It sounded reasonable and this guy is very experienced. He didn't think what he drove through was enough to cause the the low side under normal conditions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Big fan of the tc so far. Setting 1 will let the backend come out slightly on pavement without letting you lowside, setting 2 is great for the rain as previously mentioned.
I only turn it off on dry days when im am having some fun but I generally ride on tc 1.
tc 1 will let you bring the front wheel up although it pogos as it cuts power then regains power.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My traction control came into play this morning on the way into work at 5:30am. Roads were damp, i took a right turn and got on the throttle like i usually do to start a merge onto the interstate, all the sudden the TC light on the dash started flickering, I had it on TC2. It wasn't obtrusive or anything, I was still accelerating, it just was keeping the rear wheel from letting loose, very good system in my opinion...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts