StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Wee really runs out of gas (figuratively) at around 6500-7000 RPM. The bike really hits a wall power wise and I am wondering if I am expecting too much from the smaller Wee. I am wondering if the air intake can be modified to allow for better breathing thus allowing better performance. Maybe new exhaust? Does new exhaust really make that much difference or is it psychological?:confused:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
It should really be humming at that point.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 2012 Wee really runs out of gas (figuratively) at around 6500-7000 RPM. The bike really hits a wall power wise and I am wondering if I am expecting too much from the smaller Wee. I am wondering if the air intake can be modified to allow for better breathing thus allowing better performance. Maybe new exhaust? Does new exhaust really make that much difference or is it psychological?:confused:
How many miles on it ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My other bike is a Suzuki GSX1400 so to me the Wee has no power at any point. The power delivery is very flat on the Wee though with no real peak point. I find that most of the time I never rev it harder than 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
advance, etc various gears

I believe the earlier DL650s had different spark advance and maybe fuel characteristics in some of the gears. I suppose the new ones would be the same. Limits power in some ratios.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Rider, something needs to be repaired. With all the stock parts working right, it'll run smoothly up to redline, and really hum from those rpms and upward. Onthe pre-'12 Wee intake & exhaust mods did little except raise the sound level.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What I've noticed with mine is it does rev smoothly up to 8-9K, but the power doesn't increase much, it "feels" flat. The torque from about 3-6 K is what I love feelin :) crack the throttle in any gear and you get this whoosh of acceleration- never gets old, lol

Chappyd

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
My 2012 Wee really runs out of gas (figuratively) at around 6500-7000 RPM. The bike really hits a wall power wise and I am wondering if I am expecting too much from the smaller Wee.
There is something wrong with your bike.
6k to redline that thing should hum. Don't expect it to perform like a Ducati or something, but there should be no 7krpm 'wall'...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
A flat spot in the rpm's?

Mine runs great. Torque is best from 5-7k rpm's. 8800 is the peak HP.

I'd have the stealer check it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I notice on the L2 the power is more linear, (hope that's the right word) than my K7.
The K7 was more of a slug from 4K-6K and there was a definite difference when you hit the 6K-9K range, not like an R1 difference or anything, but a definite uptick in power. The L2 feels faster overall, but not in the 6K-9K range. It is more constant and has a lot more mid range grunt, and doesn't run out of gas up top, but not a big increase up there either.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
Descriptions can be deceiving:

If you mean that it stops pulling after that rpm then, as was mentioned previously, fuel supply issues could be the culprit (Plugged fuel filter although unlikley on a newer bike, water in gas.)

If you mean that it keeps accelerating at roughly the same rate to redline but doesnt snap like a sport bike at the higher end then there isn't much you can do.. the nature of the beast is that the motor is tuned for mid-range torque and flat torque curve. Your only real answer is to get a new bike as there is little to really improve the power curve.

..Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the input

It sounds like there are some who have similar concerns and others that think that there might be a problem. I guess that my expectations are that the bike should continue accelerating with the same enthusiasm after 6500 RPM than it does up to that point. The bike has 850 miles and I will continue to monitor. The bike just had the 600 mile service and they said everything checked out so we'll see.

Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
It sounds like there are some who have similar concerns and others that think that there might be a problem. I guess that my expectations are that the bike sould continuing with the same enthusiasm after 6500 RPM than it does up to that point. The bike has 850 miles and I wil continue to monitor. The bike just had the 600 mile service and they said everything checked out so we'll see.

Was well over 5000k's before mine finally loosened up.

Pete

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm currently at 800+ miles and can't rev over 7500 but this baby hums above 5 grand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Roll ons

I notice on the L2 the power is more linear, (hope that's the right word) than my K7.
The K7 was more of a slug from 4K-6K and there was a definite difference when you hit the 6K-9K range, not like an R1 difference or anything, but a definite uptick in power. The L2 feels faster overall, but not in the 6K-9K range. It is more constant and has a lot more mid range grunt, and doesn't run out of gas up top, but not a big increase up there either.
Yes, The 60 mph roll on power is very good compared to my 06.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It sounds like there are some who have similar concerns and others that think that there might be a problem. I guess that my expectations are that the bike sould continuing with the same enthusiasm after 6500 RPM than it does up to that point. The bike has 850 miles and I wil continue to monitor. The bike just had the 600 mile service and they said everything checked out so we'll see.

You are right, it should continue with "at least" the same enthusiasm, if not a bit more after 6500, all the way to redline, if yours doesn't you may have a problem.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Ask Nrom if his bike is still working okay approaching 80,000 miles. It was mine originally and I paid zero attention to the break in procedure. The engine is nearly red lined on a dyno before it leaves the factory. I believe the break in procedure is to get the rider accustomed to the bike.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
Ask Nrom if his bike is still working okay approaching 80,000 miles. It was mine originally and I paid zero attention to the break in procedure. The engine is nearly red lined on a dyno before it leaves the factory. I believe the break in procedure is to get the rider accustomed to the bike.
You probably want to avoid continuous redline (or very high RPM) as the heat buildup in the rings might not dissipate properly but I doubt that is much of an issue for most of us.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 27 Posts