StromTrooper banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Any other folks out there doin a tire change at the moment....& have a way to weigh their Strom wheels so the list in post #12 can be updated

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
975 Posts
as far as strength goes, have you ever seen off road race bikes with cast or forged wheels?
A long time ago a manufacturer (Rokon) tried cast wheels on dirt bikes and they couldn't get them to quit breaking. Rokon did pioneer disk brakes on dirt bikes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
as far as strength goes, have you ever seen off road race bikes with cast or forged wheels?
Fair point, but I'd suggest that off-road race bikes don't use factory spoked wheels that come on any production bike. Nor do road race bikes use ordinary forged rims. Carbon fibre probably. I just see it as one of two logical choices for the V-Strom, which is not a crazy off road bike. All the limits of off-road stromming that have been discussed seem to me to limit the abuse a DL will take (reasonably) off road. A few crazy folks go way beyond that.

I recall also that Ryan F9, in his recent review of the KTM 390 Adventure, felt that the alloys were suitable for that bike (which might be more off-road suitable than the DL) and also that he never had a rim dent on his DL1000 that caused him to lose tire pressure. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
In 50 years I have never damaged a cast wheel but I have bent quite a few spoked ones.

All the spoked wheels were tube type and if they were tubeless they would not have held air.

When riding dirt roads and I have to cross that loose build up of gravel between the wheel marks the cast wheels give me more confidence than my spoked wheels.

The newer wheels with the spokes going to the outer rim could have fixed that I don't know I have never ridden on them.

·
Administrator
18,480 Posts
I kno I found mine.....& its got mags!

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
My current steed as well, quite fond of her too.......FAST and nimble. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Breaking the cast wheels is a piece of cake!

I was riding in N. California two weeks ago and hit a pothole (A POTHOLE) with a 3 in back lip on some back roads (paved with some good dirt and wash).

At 35-40 mph, that front rim bent, and cracked under 30psi. Spent 5 hours in the forest waiting on a no show AAA tow.
Needless to say, if you break one of those mag rims, you will be hard pressed to find a replacement for the 2nd generation bikes.

I could not find a replacement wheel in country and Suz is telling me 3 to 6 months minimum for the replacement part. The fact that these parts are not easily accessible for replacement is not how a company retains customers.

Love my 2015 DL1000, but if I can't get the replacement parts, it will be the last Suzuki I own.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No wonder it bent ..& cracked....1000 Stroms recommend 36 psi in the front tire

Under 30 psi mite be good on a spoked tube type Dual Sport tire....but the Strom is not a Dual Sport

21 - 33 of 33 Posts