StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of yous that have cast wheels ever had a problem with them .. especially if you do any off road riding.. ??? Also have all model years come with cast as standard? or did the older model years have spoke? I understand the newer XT models have spoke ..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Spoke wheels only started appearing on an optional model DL650XT in 2015
The 1000XT with spokes appeared in 2017.
I think the spoked wheels should interchange with all year model Stroms but you might need matching rotors for some earlier bikes with the stock 3 blade alloy wheels. Bearings & spacers would be different on 650s & 1000s too.

I havent taken any of the 8 Stroms Ive owned offroad...only gravel/rock county roads where a cast wheel doesnt have any issues coping

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you that is helpful. this info will help me decide what model year and cc. engine to look for when I get my finacial ducks in a row.

·
Registered
251 Posts
One more note.....the newer model alloy wheels are forged instead of cast I think... which makes them even lighter than the older 3 blade wheels. Specs say the spoked wheels only add a couple of pounds over the alloys...I dont kno if anyone has weighed them (early & late alloy designs & spokes) for comparison

·
Registered
503 Posts
There have been reports here about cast rims being bent by large rocks, then being repaired.

Cast wheels are normally lighter than spoked wheels. Alloy connecting the hubs and rims is lighter than steel supporting the same weight plus the alloy has compression strength as well as tensile strength. The bike weight is on the axle/hub which hangs from the steel spokes extending upwards between the hub and the rim. Alloy is stronger than the same weight of steel and cast alloy wheels get support below the hub as well as above it. Some people think spoked wheels are lighter because they look lighter but that is often not the case.

The main difference is rigidity. The rims on spoked wheels are drawn alloy, rolled into a hoop and welded where the ends meet. Rolled or drawn alloy is less rigid and more ductile than cast alloy. Also, there is no compression strength on a spoke so hitting a rock of just the right size may deform a spoked rim below its elastic point so it gives and comes back when the same hit may damage a cast rim. It's also easier to break a casting than a rolled or drawn piece.

Spoked wheels require more maintenance but may be a better choice for dirt riding if the terrain or style of riding is hard on rims. Spokes can break and bend and replacement is common.

On pavement where light and rigid are both good things, it's no contest. Cast is better.

If upgrading to Nissin 4 pot calipers, they will not fit spoked wheels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
While I was at the Barber Vintage Festival last year I ran into a couple in their eighties who had a completed an around the world tour on V-Stroms. They were justifiably proud because they did it while in their seventies. Husband and wife on two DL650s. One of their stories was about having been warned that their cast wheels might give them problems and they were advised to get different bikes by their tor guide. Of the twelve or so bikes on the trip two BMWs needed new rims before they made it out of he US. Another needed a new rim on one of the more distant legs of the trip. The couple made the entire around the world tour on the DL650s with NO bike related issues.

Yes, people have dented rims. However as noted in several threads people ride hem off pavement quite frequently. If you stay on fire roads you don't even need tires more aggressive than the Bridgestone Battlewings.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
You have to try really hard to dent the DL cast rims. (Hitting a 4" high concrete ledge @80kphwith 22PSI in the front will do it). Proved stronger than the OEM KTM and BMW spoked rims. (GSA spoked rims are very strong, GS rims not so much). That's from hitting the same obstacles at the same speeds on various bikes ;).

Keep the pressure above 28PSI and the odds of rim damage on DL cast rims are minimal.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
My 05 650 never suffered a ding in the cast rims during the 122K on it. Maybe as much as 10K of that was off pavement. My 18 1000 picked up 2 dings on the same ride( deep, sharp edged potholes in partial shade) in its first summer. Local shop repaired and painted for $150.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One more note.....the newer model alloy wheels are forged instead of cast I think... which makes them even lighter than the older 3 blade wheels. Specs say the spoked wheels only add a couple of pounds over the alloys...I dont kno if anyone has weighed them (early & late alloy designs & spokes) for comparison

It would be nice to know for sure that the new wheels are indeed forged. How can this be determined?

·
Registered
238 Posts
While I was at the Barber Vintage Festival last year I ran into a couple in their eighties who had a completed an around the world tour on V-Stroms. They were justifiably proud because they did it while in their seventies. Husband and wife on two DL650s. One of their stories was about having been warned that their cast wheels might give them problems and they were advised to get different bikes by their tor guide. Of the twelve or so bikes on the trip two BMWs needed new rims before they made it out of he US. Another needed a new rim on one of the more distant legs of the trip. The couple made the entire around the world tour on the DL650s with NO bike related issues.

Yes, people have dented rims. However as noted in several threads people ride hem off pavement quite frequently. If you stay on fire roads you don't even need tires more aggressive than the Bridgestone Battlewings.
Would a 2018 DL 1000 do the job just as easily as a Honda cb500..... riding the T A T ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
It would be nice to know for sure that the new wheels are indeed forged. How can this be determined?
Mabe look inside the rim with the tire off. Should be totally smooth with no sandpaper look to the center...or there could be a stamp for wheel info...not a raised labelling.

I'll hava looksee at the outside of my 14s rims

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well...my bad....I shouldve looked closely at the wheels. They are... in fact..cast ...& not forged. The pebblegrain finish tells the story.
But theyre still sposta be lighter & stronger than the old hollow 3 blade design.
It would still be interesting to kno the weight of each wheel type. Whether cast or spoked ..& taking into account the difference in front wheels for abs models

Weights front w/o rotors...with brgs
02-12 1000 04-06 650 cast 9lb 10oz
07-16 all 650 cast
14-20 1000/1050 17-20 650 cast
15-20 650XT 18-20 1000/1050XT spoke

Weights rear w/o rotor or sprocket carrier
02-12 1000 04-16 650
14-20 1000/1050 cast
15-20 650XT 18-20 1000/1050 XT spoke

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thats what I thought too....but mabe someone has weights of each style

·
Registered
642 Posts
I can weigh the ruined rim of my 04 Vee, with wheel bearings and without disk rotors. And with one huge bend, plus 3 fixed bends. :) I'll let you know what it weighs.

Update: I'm a little surprised; the front rim "only" weighs 10lbs. I was expecting more!

·
Registered
251 Posts
If ya'll have rims with the rotor(s) still attached...that would be the best scenario.
That way..someone with a newer Strom...say one with spoked wheels..or the new style cast wheels...could weigh their wheel(s) during a tire swap. Brake rotors havent changed much over the years so there shouldnt be much difference in weight of those.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
There have been reports here about cast rims being bent by large rocks, then being repaired.

Cast wheels are normally lighter than spoked wheels. Alloy connecting the hubs and rims is lighter than steel supporting the same weight plus the alloy has compression strength as well as tensile strength. The bike weight is on the axle/hub which hangs from the steel spokes extending upwards between the hub and the rim. Alloy is stronger than the same weight of steel and cast alloy wheels get support below the hub as well as above it. Some people think spoked wheels are lighter because they look lighter but that is often not the case.

The main difference is rigidity. The rims on spoked wheels are drawn alloy, rolled into a hoop and welded where the ends meet. Rolled or drawn alloy is less rigid and more ductile than cast alloy. Also, there is no compression strength on a spoke so hitting a rock of just the right size may deform a spoked rim below its elastic point so it gives and comes back when the same hit may damage a cast rim. It's also easier to break a casting than a rolled or drawn piece.

Spoked wheels require more maintenance but may be a better choice for dirt riding if the terrain or style of riding is hard on rims. Spokes can break and bend and replacement is common.

On pavement where light and rigid are both good things, it's no contest. Cast is better.

If upgrading to Nissin 4 pot calipers, they will not fit spoked wheels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It wasn't on my Wee, but on an R1100 BMW, an unavoidable big chuckhole bent my front cast rim. I removed the tire and used a rag under a block of wood and beat the heck out of the wood over the bend. Took some time to get it right but repair was invisible complete. FWIW

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Spoke wheels are heavier than cast. Not a lot, but some. I am about to change tires in a few weeks and will weigh mine for you.....they are almost the same as Strom wheels, except for different hubs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No need to weigh other bikes besides Stroms. Only need numbers to compare those from early & late cast...& of course the current spoked Strom wheels

1 - 20 of 22 Posts