StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just picked up this Wee-Strom yesterday. I noticed that there is a wheel sensor on the rear that is broken. I am wondering if I can solder this back on or do I need to replace it?

...Or should I leave it disconnected?

Thanks!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
To me, as long as the ABS sensor is still in good working condition, I would attempt to repair the sensor casing with JB Weld or similar. The repair may end up not looking that great, but as long as it works. Sometimes a rattle can coat of paint will be enough for sake of appearance. Going the repair should buy you time to source a suitable replacement, if it is still required.
Perhaps someone may know whether there may be a similar sensor used by another manufacture, that one can perhaps make use of? Often some components are commonly used between the different manufactures, items like brakes calipers / pads, ABS unit, tip over sensor, fork seals, batteries, headlight / indicator / stoplight bulbs, heated grips, etc. I would think that it is a pain in trying to match up the part numbers of these compatable components, so most just go with the OEM part. You never know, sometimes a person can get lucky.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,590 Posts
I would replace it with an OEM part. The gap between sensor and rotation wheel is very sensitive.
You should also have a dashboard alert up if your ABS not working. If not something is wrong somewhere.

That black round piece welded under the swingarm is for a spool to enable a swingarm stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Where do you think that rotation sensor should fit?
Your bike looks like a 2007-10 DL650. I will have a look at my service manual.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me, as long as the ABS sensor is still in good working condition, I would attempt to repair the sensor casing with JB Weld or similar. The repair may end up not looking that great, but as long as it works. Sometimes a rattle can coat of paint will be enough for sake of appearance. Going the repair should buy you time to source a suitable replacement, if it is still required.
Perhaps someone may know whether there may be a similar sensor used by another manufacture, that one can perhaps make use of? Often some components are commonly used between the different manufactures, items like brakes calipers / pads, ABS unit, tip over sensor, fork seals, batteries, headlight / indicator / stoplight bulbs, heated grips, etc. I would think that it is a pain in trying to match up the part numbers of these compatable components, so most just go with the OEM part. You never know, sometimes a person can get lucky.
It would be awesome to find something like that. The only one I have found is about $200.00.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would replace it with an OEM part. The gap between sensor and rotation wheel is very sensitive.
You should also have a dashboard alert up if your ABS not working. If not something is wrong somewhere.

That black round piece welded under the swingarm is for a spool to enable a swingarm stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Where do you think that rotation sensor should fit?
Your bike looks like a 2007-10 DL650. I will have a look at my service manual.
Here is the ABS sensor and location.
Are you sure that it is part of your ABS?
I have not extensively went over the bike yet. The welded part could not be related to the issue at all. I do have the light on the dash for ABS. I will re-evaluate where this connects to.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
The sensor must line up with the plate with all the holes punched in it.

I would expect a hole in the bracket that supports the brake calliper.

Until the sensor lines up you will get the ABS light, once it all lines up you will need to ride the bike a few meters to get the light out.

That sensor must be removed when the wheel is removed, there is a big chance the bolt was not fitted properly last time that work was done.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sensor must line up with the plate with all the holes punched in it.

I would expect a hole in the bracket that supports the brake calliper.

Until the sensor lines up you will get the ABS light, once it all lines up you will need to ride the bike a few meters to get the light out.

That sensor must be removed when the wheel is removed, there is a big chance the bolt was not fitted properly last time that work was done.
Well that makes sense. I tried holding the sensor on where it should connect while the bike was on the center stand and it didnt go out.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,590 Posts
That cable does seem like it is the rotation sensor cable, but the whole unit is not there.
I agree with the above and you may find the rest of it attached to the bike. In that case I very much doubt that it can be repaired.
An image or two of the upper swingarm and brake caliper bracket would help.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The welded part on the bottom of the swing arm is for spools to be used with a stand. Looks like a bolt broken off in it, but nothing to do with the ABS sensor. I suspect the above comments about someone damaging the sensor during wheel removal are correct.

Reactions: gusbus

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That cable does seem like it is the rotation sensor cable, but the whole unit is not there.
I agree with the above and you may find the rest of it attached to the bike. In that case I very much doubt that it can be repaired.
An image or two of the upper swingarm and brake caliper bracket would help.
It definitely is the sensor.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Finger Rim

Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Grey Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Apparantly the sensor to ring spacing is still undamaged, so if you can reestablish the electrical connection I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,590 Posts
That's it all right.
Not just a matter of gluing it back though. As locoblanco says may be repairable but you would need some very delicate work to reestablish the electrical connections, and then to make the repair withstand normal flexing etc.

Myself I would replace the cable. You could spend a whole lot of time on it only to find it quickly fail.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It needs a new part, end of story. Its a Hall Effect sensor if I recall and it appears the sensing element is broken. ABS on the rear wheel can save your bacon and is worth fixing 100% properly. Its NOT a cheap part but perhaps a used one could be found on Flea Bay where someone is parting out a crashed bike.

Reactions: Gert and Brockie

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's it all right.
Not just a matter of gluing it back though. As locoblanco says may be repairable but you would need some very delicate work to reestablish the electrical connections, and then to make the repair withstand normal flexing etc.

Myself I would replace the cable. You could spend a whole lot of time on it only to find it quickly fail.
That’s what I am finding will have to happen. It would be beyond my own soldering skills unfortunately.

Do you know if it is possible to find out what other bikes this is on?

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It needs a new part, end of story. Its a Hall Effect sensor if I recall and it appears the sensing element is broken. ABS on the rear wheel can save your bacon and is worth fixing 100% properly. Its NOT a cheap part but perhaps a used one could be found on Flea Bay where someone is parting out a crashed bike.
I agree with you. However, coming from a 1500cc cruiser. The wee strom stops a lot faster, even without abs.

I asked in another reply, but do you know if there is a way to see if Suzuki used this same sensor on other motorcycles? In the event that I go the salvage route.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,590 Posts
That’s what I am finding will have to happen. It would be beyond my own soldering skills unfortunately.

Do you know if it is possible to find out what other bikes this is on?
I cannot confirm it but I believe:

There are also others that look similar. You would need to inspect the ends and tell the seller your cable length. I doubt that Suzuki would reinvent the wheel for every model.

Reactions: Gert
1 - 20 of 20 Posts