StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these bikes aren't dirt bikes... but I do wonder how much abuse these cast wheels will take before they bend or taco. Anybody know? My long-term plans are a set of spoked wheels if it turns out to be decent enough off-road once I finish the suspension.

I don't plan to do anything super technical... pretty much dirt roads, maybe some two-track trails if needed. Think Backcountry Discovery Route kind of stuff, which could be rutted and rocky in spots, but mostly not.

I'd just like to know about how far I can push it so that I don't ruin anything. If I do get Spokes, I'd like to be able to sell off these wheels to offset the cost.

Rob

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It's really hard to figure out how to quantify this in any useful way. :confused:

One thing I can say is that I've seen occasional posts about bent V-Strom wheels from crashing or from deflated tires over the years, but I can't remember seeing any complaining about damage from off-roading.

One caveat is that you definitely don't want to air down very far -- it's still a pretty heavy bike for off-road work. Not sure what a good minimum pressure would be.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I've seen a some pics of bent and broken wheels from rock hits. I wouldn't have a clue about how to quantify their strength though.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I think "Ironheadziggy" bent (or cracked??) a rim on his Strom during his Alaska ride a few years ago. He patched the ding with some kind of quick-hardening expoxy (maybe J.B.Weld??) enough to limp back to civilization somewhere up there. Seems like he hit a big pothole to incur the damage.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Tougher than the spoked rims that come stock on a KTM 990, or a BMW 800XC.

About the same as a 1200GS, not as tough as the rims on a 1200GSA.

I've hit the same obstacles at about the same speed as all those models.

Worst ding I've got was from hitting a washed out concrete culvert at 80kph (about 4" high). Small ding on the DL, big smile on the 990. The GS got a slightly bigger ding than me, the GSA, nothing visible.

The 800XC was a separate incident, sunken cattle grate, 8 other bikes got across just fine, the slow guy on the XC picked up a serious ding.

If you are careful and run 28PSI or so, shouldn't have problems. Mine was running about 20PSI front and a rush of blood having a pack of 990's eating my dust and being unwilling to eat theirs ;)

Pete

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been on some Jeep trails and some FSR that were nothing but rocks/mini boulders and have had no problem. Roads where I have been told, "I can't believe you on a strom back here".

Our ground clearance and suspension travel suckage keeps me at a slower pace, so that helps as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts