StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to clean the entire bike. Is there a good cleaner for the wheels? Will they stand-up to the high pressure stream at a manual car wash? 2014 DL1000.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Can't see why not. The paint or power coat on Suzuki wheels seems to be pretty tough. Keep it away from the bearings, though. Probably a good way to get chain goo off the rear wheel, actually.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Be very careful with the high power sprayers. If you hit the chain then odds are your chain will shortly after be scrap. Also avoid spraying in keyholes or anywhere you might force high pressure water into electrical areas or bearings.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Another vote for WD40 sprayed on a rag. Also leaves a nice sheen...that lasts until your next ride.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
WD40 on rag. You can't beat that.
Pressure washer destroyed my front wheel bearing in just one wash. Detergent entered the bearing and after 50-100 miles it was shot. No more pressure washing for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like to use Honda spray cleaner, or its equal and an old terry cloth towel. I hardly ever wash my bike, just wipe it down with the spray cleaner. It works great.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I like to use Honda spray cleaner, or its equal and an old terry cloth towel. I hardly ever wash my bike, just wipe it down with the spray cleaner. It works great.
Can you use Honda cleaner on a Suzuki? :confused:

Reactions: VSrider and Vhawg

·
Registered
11,528 Posts

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
Pg 65 of the 2004 Owners manual. "Wash the chain with kerosene. Kerosene will lubricate and clean the chain."

It also will wipe clean any chain lubes you have used and make the rim all clean again. Kinda shiny too.
Available in the Garden section of the big box chains as a refill for Tiki lamps. Who knew?

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Pg 65 of the 2004 Owners manual. "Wash the chain with kerosene. Kerosene will lubricate and clean the chain."

It also will wipe clean any chain lubes you have used and make the rim all clean again. Kinda shiny too.
Available in the Garden section of the big box chains as a refill for Tiki lamps. Who knew?
It is also highly flammable, so be careful. I have used Kerosene on my rims before, I think it leaves a white film after, but not totally sure about that now.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
Highly flammable, but of course. The manual even acknowledges that. Not as bad as gasoline.
Gave the grand daughter a science kit of electric motors for Christmas. When she read the warning on the box she remarked, "This should be cool"
Warnings are that, not a death sentence. Heck, motor oil will burn too!
Haven't noticed the white residue.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts

+ 1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
WD-40 on a rag is best, takes everything off in one second, Just be extra careful not to get any of it on your brake rotors.
That's what I use. Well, Walmart brand WD-40 cause it's half the money.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Can you use Honda cleaner on a Suzuki? :confused:
For $80 my dealer sold me a special can of bike cleaner. It was really awesome. It had "Szuzuki" written on a post it note, stuck to the can and secured with some high strength tape. Once the note tore off, I saw "Honda" behind the post-it. I'm glad I didn't buy the BMW cleaner. He said it was much better, but it was $120 for a smaller can. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
I've found soap, water and a brush works just fine. If you get a brush with a decent handle you don't even have to bend over very far.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Kerosene is highly flammable?
Try this for fun: Put some K1 in a small bucket (outdoors!) and flip lit matches at it. Bet you can't get it to light. Flammable shlammable.

If you are too sensitive, just use WD40. Its mostly kerosene anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts