StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vee is just past 50k miles, and I'm thinking it may be good to replace wheel bearings, the next couple of times I swap tires.

I'm almost due for a new front tire, and should be due for a new rear later in the year. Good opportunity to replace the wheel bearings, yes?

I can get the bearing sizes from other sources, but I'd like your opinions on which bearings to use.

All Balls is one option.

What wheel bearings would you choose if price were no object? Suppose you wanted to use the absolute best bearings money could buy.

Can you get the dust seals separately? We have a Motion Industries shop here, so i can get my choice of SKF, Timken, etc. bearings, but I'm not sure about the accompanying dust seals.

Sure I could always get OEM bearings, but let's not constrain ourselves unnecessarily.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I dunno, man. Mine's at 100K and when I test the bearing for movement when I change tires they feel fine and the wheels spin easily. I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought. But what the heck. I did change on one bike but they actually felt gritty.
Spending the money on known good bearings is a wise choice over lowest bid!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The added hassle should be minimal, given I've already got the wheel off for a tire swap. Which I will, soonish, for the front.

I agree that it's not worth going through the effort, just to put in the cheapest bearings available.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In no specific order:

Koyo
FAG
SKF
Timken

I personally do not use All Ball's or Moose branded bearings. Neither All Balls or Moose manufacture bearings they simply repackage whatever they can source.

Yes you can buy dust seals (single lip end shaft seals) separately. At work we use TCM seals they are not ban breakers and are good quality. I'm not nearly as picky about end shaft seals as I am bearings.

If you look closely the seal with have the O.D x I.D. x Thickness stamped into it on the face.

For the record Suzuki doesn't manufacturer bearings either. Typically they use Koyo so if you want OEM get Koyo.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. Given the sizes I should be able to get one or more of those brands through the local Motion Industries shop. That's where I got the NTN ones for my steering stem last summer.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The wheel bearings are common the seals should be as well. What year DL1000?

Quickly looking a 2007 DL1000 rear wheel bearings are 20 x 47 x 14 or a very common 6204 bearing. I'd opt for 6204 2RS. The 2RS mean 2 rubber seals. meaning the bearing is sealed both sides.

6204 = no seals
6204 1RS = rubber seal one side
6204 2RS = rubber seals both sides

Do not confuse the the RS with dust seals.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, the 6204 bearing designation is even in the part number (08123-62047).

It's the same bearing (and dust seal) for all four positions.

Only the sprocket drum bearing is different (it's bigger, described as 39x65x17).

I was planning to do the front wheel first, as it needs a new tire sooner.

Thanks!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, sprocket drum is the odd one out and has its own appropriately-sized dust seal.

Rear wheel bearings are still rock-solid, tried them last night.

I probably need new cush rubbers. Going to try the bicycle inner tube fix first.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Non-contact or contacting rubber seals on the bearing?

Looking like available 6204-2RS's are all contact-type so I guess that's what I'm getting.

Another question: Is there a source for the dust seals besides OEM?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Yep, sprocket drum is the odd one out and has its own appropriately-sized dust seal.

Rear wheel bearings are still rock-solid, tried them last night.

I probably need new cush rubbers. Going to try the bicycle inner tube fix first.
Just buy new rubbers, the bicycle tube thing is a hack to one of the more important parts of the driveline. Also make sure to check the hub spacer if you have not already.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Non-contact or contacting rubber seals on the bearing?

Looking like available 6204-2RS's are all contact-type so I guess that's what I'm getting.

Another question: Is there a source for the dust seals besides OEM?
On the face of the seal will be the dimensional data. Simply order that size dust seal. I am not nearly as picky about dust seals as I am bearing. We use TCM seals at work with great success.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Motion Industries doesn't list seals on their website, but I'm sure they can order them.

My only objection to getting OEM seals is paying an extra shipping charge. Rather get them from the same place as bearings if possible.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have several NOS bearings and seals. If you get the seal or bearings size and I have it you're welcome to them.

2 - 6203 2RS bearings
1 - 6204 2RS bearing
1 - 5204 2RS bearing
2 - 28x47x7 seals
2 - 35x47x7 seals
1 - 38x50x7 seal
1 - 25x52x10 seal
1 - 25x38x7 seal
1 - 24x40x7 seal
1 29x38x4 seal
1 - 22x35x7 seal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
My 05 650 had 122K on it when sold. The only bearing on it that was replaced was the sprocket carrier at 50 something. The others were super smooth at the last tire change.
Check them at any opportunity, and only do replacement when something is noted.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts