StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have installed quite a few tires and just learned something new. i installed a new front Tourance. it needed 2 ounces to balance at the same spot as the old Battlewing and the original Trailwing. i have read the valve stem is the heavy spot on the rim and never thought to check. but after more research i dismounted the tire and balanced just the rim. it took 1 ounce to balance just the rim. the heavy spot is not the valve stem on my wheel. with the stem at the bottom my heavy spot is at about 10:00 o-clock. i removed the weight and remounted the tire with the dots at the new heavy spot and only needed 1/4 ounce. probably not even needed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just for general informayuion,..what brand tire is a Tourance? It has dots on it? More than one and what color?

Just wondering because last tires I bought had no dots I could find,... some makers don't identify "weighty" spots, AFAIK.
dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
balance marksj

The tire is a Metzler Tourance and it has two small red dots that i think are the light spot. i have seen other brands with a single white dot and others without any.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I always am confused is tire dots always the light spot?

Some modern bike tires are made as a continuous process of reinforcements so there are no defined heavy/light spots where belts overlap etc.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
According to Bridgestone, “The difference between the high and the low is called radial runout. Using sophisticated computer analysis, engineers have found that a graph of the force variations looks a bit like a wave, as does a graph of the runout variations.

By simplifying the graphs to what is called their “first harmonic,” it’s possible to find the place on the tire where, on average, the force variation is greatest. That’s where the first harmonic curve hits its high point. And, it turns out that the first harmonic high point for the radial runout coincides pretty well with the first harmonic high point for radial force variation.

Now wheels, especially steel wheels, tend to have the same kind of high and low spots as tires. In fact, many steel wheels are marked with a dimple that indicates their low spot. So, if you could match the high point on the tire to the low point on the wheel, these forces would, to some extent at least, cancel each other, and you’d expect to get a smoother ride and maybe improved wear.

Some original equipment manufacturers are doing this kind of match mounting when they mount tires and wheels on new trucks. The tire is marked with a red dot at the high point, and this is matched with the low point dimple on steel wheels. On steel wheels without a low point dimple, and on aluminum wheels, the red dot is matched to the valve stem.”

A yellow dot indicates the light balance point on the tire. In order to minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly, match the light balance point to the wheels heavy balance point, which is normally located at the valve stem.
In a situation where a tire has both a red and yellow dot, the red dot takes precedence and should be mounted to the wheel low point dimple or valve stem.

What Are These Red and Yellow Dots On My Tires? | TireTeam Talk

Note that the color of the dots and even the presence or lack of the dots varies by manufacturer.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
On a motorcycle like the DL-650, I don't bother to balance tires anymore. I just mount them up and ride them.

No problems.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
On a motorcycle like the DL-650, I don't bother to balance tires anymore. I just mount them up and ride them.

No problems.
I cut off the previous weights and added an extra oz. of ultra seal for balancing = smoooth.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I disagree with the no balance

I have also heard this about some stealerships

A pair of saw horses and 4 nails and you can balance. If its fine then fine otherwise mine gets tape weights. Both my rims have over a 1/2 oz on them.

Old tires the reinforcement bands were overlapped where they met making a least 1 thick area. No longer true for some good tires.

Small RUBBER valve stems do not guarantee that is a heavy spot.

I agree with the write up that there is a lack of dots and dot meanings. I will try to balance the rim then the tire package next time as an experiment. Don't hold your breath as new tires for me are like 2 years away.

So somebody else should try it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
balance

i have installed over a dozen tires without balancing them on various bikes with out any problem. but the first time i installed a new front on my wee the bike was shaking badly. it took two ounces to balance. now that installed the tire dots to the true heavy spot i don't think i will need to balance them anymore. probably will anyway. also my 45 mph decel wobble is mostly gone now. could it be related?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts