StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's my story. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if this is the right bike for me. It's out of my price range but, IMO, perfect for my riding style. If I save up for a bit, I think I can make it work, hopefully sometime this summer!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had three different bikes in as many years since I started riding on the street. I'm in college, but as I'm heading into my final year of school, I'm realizing that I'm growing up and it's time for me to invest in a bike that I actually plan to keep for a while. Up until now I've spent no more than $1k on each bike. Rode em, got bored, turned them around and sold em. It was more of a hobby than a hunt for "the keeper." My last bike was a Yamaha Seca II, intro level sport bike, fun for a while but quite underpowered and, once the magic wore off, just plain boring! I sold it last week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before that I had a 1985 Suzuki GS650. Fun, different, but definitely a pig. The thing was falling apart and I felt like I was on a sinking ship so after putzing around town a bit I sold it off as things started to fall apart. I really liked the shaft drive though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before that, my first street legal bike, was a 1975 Honda XL250s. Bought it from a friend, and when I got bored I sold it back to him! Haha. I really enjoyed it though, and opened my eyes to what the world of riding on the street is like. Originally started in the dirt with a WR250F that my dad and I split for Christmas about 5 years ago. I still get to ride that from time to time but it's not in my immediate possession any more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, yea! I'm moving up!! Just sold the Seca and I'm in the market. I want a fun, manageable, versatile bike that has decent power but won't break the bank nor get my ass pulled over. I don't do speed and thrills, I'm all about poking along and seeing the sights yknow. I originally started looking at SV650s and some of the bigger Kawi Ninjas, but realized that at least 75% of my riding will be 2up with my girlfriend, so I want to get a more comfy sport/tour bike, with more emphasis on the "tour" aspect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got pointed in the direction of V-Stroms and here I am! I just read the super long thread about Wee vs. Vee and (granted, without throwing a leg over either of them) I think I'm aiming for a Wee. I need a low cost of maintenance since I'm still in college, and like I said I don't want too much power, so the 650 should do just fine for my style.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any thoughts and advice? Tips on how much to expect to spend, what model years to look for, common problems with used Stroms?

Thanks in advance! Mods: I'm sorry for the abbreviated posts. I'm posting via my smart phone right now and it's acting funny so I'm doing small posts instead of one long big one. Anyways, hope to hear from you soon and eventually own a V-Strom!!

-Stefan

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Save up and buy a good second hand Wee.

Mileage is not a big issue as these bikes are capable of clocking big numbers.

Try to get up to the Wee models that have ABS.

The 650 is more than capable for two up riding [unless your passenger is an adrenaline junkie who loves to travel everywhere at warp factor 9, if so buy a Hayabusa- and a cemetery plot, coz you will need it in a very short period of time].

The Wee tours, does dirt roads and commutes, all with ease and cost effectively.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
How long have you owned your Strom? Why do you like it? What kind of riding do you do?
43 months with my Vee. I know because I'm at 43K miles and I have consistently put 1K miles a month on this bike since new. Not bad for a one day a week rider (plus occasional trips).

I love it because it's not perfect. It's a compromise between dirt and street handling, albeit much more street oriented. Although anyone can ride and enjoy the bike, it takes a skilled rider to take it to a high level of performance in the twisties. The bike will not do it for you, you must have the ability to confidently control the bike as the terrain gets more and more technical. That means you never get bored when riding it in a challenging environment. There's always something new to learn or improve in your technique. The bike produces fantastic adrenaline at stay out of jail speeds.

The vast majority of my riding is done in West Virginia where there are endless opportunities to improve your skills and enjoy aggressive twisty riding.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I was looking for a lightweight sport touring bike for commuting, 2-up trips and general riding. I'd had a couple of Kawasaki Concours over the years and just got tired of dealing with a bike that weighed almost 700 lbs.
When the Strom first came out I liked the idea of the bike (although I wasn't thrilled with the way it looked :)) and had a chance to ride a few. Loved it, especially the 650 and eventually bought one in '06. One of the best bikes I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've had my '02 DL1000 since March of 2003, and it has 75,000 km on it now. No, I'm not a huge mileage accumulator, but it's been on a number of long trips. This bike fits me and adequately feeds my need for speed and fun in the twisties. It's no sport bike, but it gets around pretty good. And it's good for the long rides, too. Just haven't seen anything yet that's better enough to make we want to part with a big wad of cash to move to it. I had gone through 4 different bikes in the 7 previous years - a Yamaha DT200 (two stroke dual purpose bike), a Kawi ZX6E, a Kawi Concours, and a Kawi ZRX1100.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I have owned my wee for a year now, its my first real motorcyle (so to speak). I got it because i am tall and it fits me right and still sporty. I do commuting and hopefully going to start doing long trips. This is a great bike and this fourm helps with everything you need to know about th bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the welcomes! I am happy to be here :thumbup:

Try to get up to the Wee models that have ABS.
What years have ABS? Are there any other big differences between model years?

hamblinc said:
I got it because i am tall and it fits me right and still sporty. I do commuting and hopefully going to start doing long trips.
This sentence fits me perfectly!!! I am also tall, looking for something comfy but somewhat sporty and able to handle more touring.

I'm definitely starting to like the idea of this bike a lot more than anything else out there. The downside is that it will be a while before I can afford one, unlike an SV650 or something else that doesnt quite fit my needs but I could have next month. Grrrrr :headbang:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had my Vee since '07, put on 29K. Had a Suzuki M50 before that. Most of my riding has been commuting and day trips. This year I plan on extending my riding by going down the coast from Seattle to San Fransisco.

The bike (so far) has been great. Other than a stator replacement a couple of years ago, I haven't had any trouble with her. She treats me well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I purchased my '08 DL 650 in Dec '08 and took delivery Mar '09. I wavered for the longest time between the 1000 & 650. The issue was solved for me due to the fact that 2007 was the last year that the 1000 was available here in Germany. Not wanting to buy a used one, I ordered the 650. No regrets whatsoever. Currently have 25K on it. I ride it in all four seasons, although winter mileage is kept low. It has plenty of day and night stretches on the Autobahn at a 80-90 mph tempo, but it's real worth is apparent when touring the Alps and Dolomites... albeit undivided attention is required on all of those short turns and switchbacks... you really have to ride... it's not a Porsche. The bike carries my 200 lbs plus 120 lbs of gear without any trouble at all. Mileage is great... I get 390 kilometers out of a tank normally. A bit less if I'm doing the Autobahn thing. All around it is a great bike for the price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
well i just bought my 07 last month with 13000 on the clock
i loaded it up with luggage and am getting ready to ride it all across the US this summer

i got it because of its dirt road capabilities its huge gas tank its givi luggage options and it is an awesome ride

·
Registered
146 Posts
Had mine a year now. Flirted with cruisers in the past (not enough suspension travel, uncomfortable seating position for me) as well as sport tourers like the Concours (best engine in the word, but after 2 hours on it I literally felt like going to the ER).
Started looking at VStroms because: they are different but loved by their owners, lots of suspension travel (I'm old and fat), good at just about anything I ask it to do, fast enough but not so fast as to get me in trouble... all the time, ability to do light off roading if I want to, seating position is best for me - doesn't put all the pressure on my tailbone like a cruiser and not all pretzeled over like a sport bike, and it is bullet proof and relatively inexpensive to purchase used. Phew..... :thumbup:
Not sure I could really point out anything I don't like about the bike really. I've been riding since I was 16 and I just have to say that I still get off this bike and spontaneously say "I love this bike".... Stock seat sucked for me and I replaced the windshield, but some get by just fine with both of those items intact.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have had my K7Wee for about a month now and am loving it. Have more farkles to do than I have money atm (gotta keep momma happy). I come to the Wee from a 1989 Honda Pacific Coast that I have owned since about 1998. I have personally put about 140K miles on that motorcycle. Have it set up with Hagon Racing Shocks on the back and Progressive springs on the front. Other farkles too, including RAM setup for GPS. Still own the Pacific Coast.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 11 and started getting serious about riding at 15 (we could get our motorcycle license in MO back then at 15). I am coming up on my 60th birthday this fall.

What am I going to use the Wee for? Mainly as a commuter, a tourer, and a go the the mountains bike (the Smokies). Do not expect to do much off the pavement although a gravel road sometimes tempts me to find out what is on the other end. The Wee attracts me mainly due to the relaxed riding position and the ability to do many things. I am getting older, have medical problems including Rheumatoid Arthritis and some pretty severe back problems (have had 3 vertebrae glued back together due to compression fractures). I can't imagine life without a motorcycle, so here is where I am.

I love fast, but realize that it would be easy for me to allow my love of speed to write a check that my slowed reaction times couldn't cash (face it, as you get older you get slower reaction times) and the 650CC engine is plenty fast enough for me. Hell, back when I was young my 650 Bonnie was one of the fastest motorcycles on the road.

If any of you are planning on riding though Bowling Green, Kentucky drop me a PM and not only will I buy you a cuppa but I will point out on the map some good rides you can take here in our lovely state (might even be talked into riding a while with you if my back is doing okay). If you are into Barbeque, I might take you up to Owensboro for food at a world famous Barbeque Restaurant (The Moonlight Barbeque Restaurant), at the very least I will tell you how to get there on your own.

Ride safe friends,
Doug in Kentucky (Semper Fi)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts