StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to maintain the chain? Clean it completely then lube it? Just lube it regularly and clean "as necessary"?

Also, what chain lube/wax do you use?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I never clean and use Maxima chain wax often. The dirt flings off with the excess wax. Since I spend time off road, wax does not attract dirt and sand as much as regular oil does.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This is a can of worms on most forums but I'll give my $.02. Start with a warm chain because it will clean up MUCH easier. I use kerosene and either a Grunge Brush or an old toothbrush to clean the chain. I use an old metal paint tray to catch the kerosene so it doesn't make too much of a mess. After the chain is clean wipe it down to remove the kerosene and then apply your favorite chain lube while the chain is still warm. A lot of folks debate whether or not to use WD-40. I'm not using it now because kerosene is cheaper for me. OTOH WD-40 works very well and I never had a problem with it ruining an o-ring chain. YMMV

Another topic of debate is the lube. I have tried a lot of chain lubes and I will not try to say which one is best, only what flavor I'm using right now. I like the Dupont Teflon dry lube stuff (available at Lowes) on the dirt bike (attracts less dirt) and I'm using Pro Honda Red stuff on the street bikes. I usually look at the street bike chain and decide if I'm going to clean/lube or just add more lube based on how dirty it looks. I use the 2nd trip meter on the bike to mark when I clean/lube the chain so I know exactly how long its been since the last cleaning. I forget things so this makes it easier on me and I don't have to keep looking at the chain all the time.

The dirt bikes I clean/lube after every single ride because they need it!

D

·
0 Posts
RubberDown said:
I like the Dupont Teflon dry lube stuff (available at Lowes) on the dirt bike
I'll also cast a Yes vote for the Dupont Multi-Purpose teflon lube. The chain remains quite slick for the 300 miles or so between treatments and doesn't attract dirt. That said, it's probably more important to clean/lube regularly, than to use a particular "magic" product..

T

·
0 Posts
I have been using Sidewinder's sprocket lub it is some great stuff. I can go out & roll around in the sand & dirt come home & wash the dirt right off

·
Registered
232 Posts
Scott oiler for me, uses bugger all oil to contantly lubricate the sprockets and chain. Out of interest how often do people have to tention there chain, mine was done at the 1000 km service and the 6000 km service, it's comeing up to it's 12000 km service and the chain is still spot on, not too loose not to tight. Dont know if it's the Scott oiler or weather these stock chains just dont ever stretch, certainly not complaining :wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Aussie Stromer 1039 I've adjusted my chain similiar to you. I have about 80% highway kilometers (12,600K's). I use a spray on lubricant (non oil).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I may be a little anal, but I try to clean and lube every 250-300 miles.
I clean with Moose's sludge away chain cleaner. They make a nifty little box with brushes that locks on the chain so all you have to do is spin the rear wheel. The chain runs through the box and the brushes clean the chain. Then after a 10 minute ride to warm up the chain, I spary on Bel-Ray chain lube, which seems to be pretty good at clinging to the chain.
prof

S

·
0 Posts
It seems like most chain cleaning threads I've seen in the past usually end up opening a can of worms. There many differing opinions on this subject.

I use nothing but W-40 every 500 miles. I spray the chain liberally and the wipe it off with a clean towel. That's it! It takes 5 minutes. Since modern chains are sealed all you need to do for maintenance is remove grime and prevent rust. I have been using this routine on the last 5 chain drive bikes I have owned- with zero problems. No O ring problems at all.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I clean the chain with WD-40 and a wipe down when I wash the bike and about every 3000 miles, I take the rear wheel off and really go at the chain and sprockets with a tub of WD-40 and a dog tooth brush.

I lube with Maxima chain wax after cleaning or when the chain looks like it needs it.

B

·
0 Posts
I believe that keeping an oring chain clean.. may be more important than constant lubing. If the links and rollers can't move freely, then you will eventually have problems... sooner than later!! I also clean with WD40, as well as sometimes using Motorex chain clean "great stuff by the way"! I have tried all the spray lubes, and have finally determined that I like the PJ1 blue label the best. I use the 2nd trip meter to keep track of the miles, I usually lube every 600 to 700 miles. I have almost 5k on the bike, with only 2 small chain adjustments.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am probably the worlds worst for properly maintaining my chains. I try to lube about every 250 to 500 miles ( without cleaning). I have been using Motul street lube on my VFR for about 4 years. The original chain went 16000 miles, and still had life left. I replaced at 16000 when I swapped in teh big bore motor (120+ hp on th dyno), nad teh current chain looks like new. That said the Motul odes a decent job of cleaning while lubing. I just bought some Motul chain cleaner but haven't got around to using it yet.

J

·
0 Posts
Chain Lube

Belray super clean chain lube is great. Comes out white same as on a new chain. Do it every 500 miles almost every two weeks. Don't have center stand just put carjack under link for rear shock lift 1/2 inch spin tire. DL1000 K4 14000+ miles now. Past couple thousand having to tighten chain every thousnd miles. Maybe change at 16000. I'm sure scott oiler is the best way to go though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use Loobman with regular oil. This is a lowtech system to Scootoiler that I really like. Fill the bottle with any engin oil, every 400-500 miles before going for a ride I just squeez the bottle and go ride. When the bottle gets empty, I clean the chain by spraying WD-40 and wiping it clean. I then refill the bottle, give it another squeez and ride the bike for at least 30 minutes.

I used this system for the past 3000 miles and the bottle is only about 1/4 empty. The cost? $40, which includes shipping from UK. I'm very happy with it.

Wingman

·
Registered
654 Posts
1. Wash with simple green and the Coleman 1800 powerwasher.

2. Dry brake rotors first, then chain and sprockets, with a new towel.

3. Cover rear brake rotor.

4. Spray chain thoroughly with WD40 and spin wheel while on stand.

5. Wipe excess.

6. Go ride to "blast out" and lurking water that may exist.

7. Stop at the watering hole and have a 23oz.

8. With beer in hand, head out to the parking lot to admire motorcycle.

9. Head back in, tip out the bar maid, ride Orion Road home, feasting on R6 roadracer wannabees.

10. Park bike, grab a 12oz. from the beer fridge in the garage. Wait for bike to cool.

11. Cover bike, go inside, play with the dog, watch "Vegas", then go to bed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've only used WD-40 since the 80's.

Never less tha 20K on a chain, no mess and a quick spray down every 300-500 miles.

I feel that once you put anything on a chain that attracts grime, you start to damage the rings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts