StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V is a 2005 with 35000 miles. I rode it to the lake a few days ago maybe 20 miles and all was good. Nothing but the usual surging that feels like slightly rough pavement. I let it sit for maybe 4 hours and when i came back it wouldnt start. So i cracked the throttle open a little and it started but ran VERY rough and smelled kinda weired. So i let it warm up and it cleared out almost to normal. So i headed straight home and on the way it started surging something vicious and would die at stop lights. I held the throttle open at a few stops and the revs would surge as much as 1k rpm .. what has happened to my baby. The bike is all stock. Im the 3rd owner and im not sure of the mantainace records but the bike was in GREAT shape when i got it with 30000 miles. Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
All the usual

start with checking TPS, look for loose injector boots.

Seriously though buy some seafoam and run a tank with it through the bike and see if clears up as it may be drooly injectors hanging open that the seafoam would clean up.

Also is this like old gas

·
Administrator
17,740 Posts
All the usual

start with checking TPS, look for loose injector boots.

Seriously though buy some seafoam and run a tank with it through the bike and see if clears up as it may be drooly injectors hanging open that the seafoam would clean up.

Also is this like old gas
Seafoam has been rated as worthless junk by consumer reports, Chevron Techron is a much better alternative and Maxima Fuel cleaner/stabilizer was rated #1.

·
Administrator
17,740 Posts
I guess they wouldn't pay off Condemer reports
It is all about what is in the ingredients, and Seafoam has 10/20 % of isopropyl alcohol in it "as do others". There are some that actually have ethanol in it.......yikes!!!!! The Maxima is the best option out there, but harder to find for most. I would still do with the Techron over the rest "except Maxima", even Greywolf says it is good stuff.

Is your gas additive safe with E10 fuel?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The rough running and surging might be water in the fuel. Even new fuel from a leaky tank at the gas station can have water in it.

That chart about gasoline additives misses one big point. If you have water in the gas, what do you want to do about it? You can either siphon out the water in the tank being sure you get all of it, or emulsify it with an alcohol product and run it through the engine. Either works. The alcohol product (HEET or similar) is the easiest.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
What works would depend on what gunk/slime/jelly/fungus has been growing and what would break it up / or dissolve it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts