StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 08 KLR a few months back but was starting to have problems with the vibration from it aggravating an injury to my hand. I test rode a Wee and didn't have a problem so I decided to get one (as I had originally intended to do), and sold the KLR this past weekend.

I pop into my local Zuki dealer with five grand in my pocket and the intention of putting in an order for an 08 DL with ABS as I knew they were sold out of the 07's. I ask for the sales manager and after waiting 30 minutes we sit down and I tell him that I would like to get ABS Wee, he proceeds to tell me that the last one he had sat on his floor since the beginning of the year.

I knew he was FOS because I had been there several times in the previous 8 weeks and knew that he had at least two come in and both were sold within weeks of hitting the floor. In fact one of their sales guys took me across the lot to their shop where one had just been "built" from the crate, it lasted only a week. The kid had told me that they actually had more come in and get sold fast but I never saw those with my own eyes.

So he proceeds to tell me that he didn't order an 08 ABS yet because no one wants the ABS version and that if I want one I will not see it until Nov/Dec because the next order will not go out until Sept.

Out of curiosity I ask him how much an 08 will cost me if he ordered it today and he quotes me nearly eight grand, $7,200 for the bike and $600 for "set up". I tell him that I will put up the five grand if he orders the bike and pay the rest upon delivery if he makes the "set up" fee go away. He states that he cant do it because he has to pay his staff, that he can maybe knock off maybe $50-100.

If anything I would have figured he would have lied in the other direction saying that they couldn't keep them in stock because they sell so fast, therefore justifying a higher mark-up.

Whats with the lack of honesty?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm not convinced they're lying, I really am starting believe that they're just that stupid.

Had a local Kawasaki "dealer" arguing with a buddy of mine last night that Kawasaki hasn't yet released the Kawasaki Concours 1400 and that no dealers have them yet. Where do they get these guys??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like you need to find another dealer, one that will be willing to work with you.

A lot of Money up front for them doing little to no work, with an offer to pay full MSRP, can't believe they wouldn't give you a "Customer of the Day" award.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Do you know how to tell when a motorcycle salesman is lying?

His lips are moving!

·
Registered
22,238 Posts
So he proceeds to tell me that he didn't order an 08 ABS yet because no one wants the ABS version and that if I want one I will not see it until Nov/Dec because the next order will not go out until Sept.
I believe that to be true, motorcycle dealers are not like car dealers, they cannot just order a bike anytime they want, at the dealers meeting in September, they must order what they anticipate to sell for the year and delivery dates

then I got my 07 1k back in december, I was lucky, my dealer didn't have any scheduled to arrive till March, but the Suzuki warehouse happen to have one in stock that wasn't delivered cause the dealer it was supose to be delivered to was on credit hold

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
113 Posts
dealers!

I think that most dealers no longer ride. It has become just a product-they really don't care. Sales are down and dismal all they want to sell is the M109 cruiser, Busa or dirtbikes at my dealership. Like I am going to buy a Busa hahahahahahaha!!!! It is never going to happen.

They probably don't read the magazines, go to bike shows or touch a wrench to anything. They never modify or else the go so overboard that they want an extra 1k for a "proper farkle setup".

To me the only dealerships that even appear to care anymore are Duc/Aprilia guys. at least the still seam to love their product. Gotta give Buell credit too, but the Harley stealerships do them a big injustice. However I see the new Rotax powered sportbike is out! Yum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
After getting home with my used 2005 DL650 and realizing that my local Suzuki dealer misquoted blue book and the internet asking price so that all the money I "talked them down" brought me to the price I should have paid in the first place, I placed a larger "Sucker" sign on my head and rode around my neighborhood.

I now will only deal with the small local motorcycle shop that has great people who really know bikes and will spend the time chatting whether you buy something or not. - Insert shameless plug for RPM Cycles in Ventura, CA here -

By the way, they just got a used Black DL1000 in (not mine) with KTM mirrors, Sargent? seat, Staytune exhaust, stainless break lines, lower fairing, and cool graphics. If you're local and are thinking of a DL1000, it's worth a look.

·
Registered
61 Posts
IMO most but not all are scum of the earth. Good thing is there are many many many of them around. Take your cash to the next shop.

I don't even mess around haggling or anything anymore. I go to the first dealer with an internet pre-researched price and tell them the price I'm looking for and money I'm putting down. Then I tell the salesman I'm going to three dealers and telling them all the same thing. The one with the best price AND terms sells me the vehicle. If he gets into what that dealer can do for me blah blah blah, I cut him off and say politely, "I just want the best price and terms, everything else is inconsequential right now".

Then you're going to fill out a credit app and get the heck out of there. It's a bit more time consuming but they understand when you walk in prepared you're not messing around.

My $.02 anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with finding another dealer is that there are none, they are all owned by the same folks with the exception of one, and they are crooks. I guess Im just going to have to start spiraling out until I find a good one, I can fly out to Dallas, Phx, Den, Okc, etc. for well under $200, ride back, and save bunch.

We only have one really good dealer in town, PJs Triumph/Ducati, and I obviously cant get a DL there. But they do great service on all bikes, so the Zuki dealer will not only loose the sale, but any service I cant do myself.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I think that most dealers no longer ride. It has become just a product-they really don't care. Sales are down and dismal all they want to sell is the M109 cruiser, Busa or dirtbikes at my dealership. Like I am going to buy a Busa hahahahahahaha!!!! It is never going to happen.

They probably don't read the magazines, go to bike shows or touch a wrench to anything. They never modify or else the go so overboard that they want an extra 1k for a "proper farkle setup".

To me the only dealerships that even appear to care anymore are Duc/Aprilia guys. at least the still seam to love their product. Gotta give Buell credit too, but the Harley stealerships do them a big injustice. However I see the new Rotax powered sportbike is out! Yum.
I think you're on to something here. Its pathetic to go into a dealership and know more about the product than the salesman on the floor. I research the hell out of my purchases. I expect to deal with someone who is also passionate about what they're selling.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I was fortunate, my sales person is an avid Wee Rider. I would have paid extra for that feature! :D

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Rule #1 in retail sales : "What's hot is what's in stock"

I sell but not in retail. Those guys have a really tough job. Rotten hours and low pay. I always cut them some slack on the judgement meter.

There are a lot of times where my customers see stuff on the internet from my manufacturers that I have never heard of much less know what it is or have pricing for.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
482 Posts
If there are really no other dealer choices then I would go to a volume dealer like Honda East. For what you will save you could fly out there and ride the bike back. The $600 set up fee is BS as they get set up reimbursement from the manufacturers. Just an FYI I paid $400 under MSRP and that included MI 6% sales tax, title and license.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Got a liar in the Tucson, AZ Suz dealership. When I was shopping for my Wee, I called all over the Southwest, within a 500 mile radius. Talked to Jim Scully at Tucson Motorsports. He assured me that they had an 06 DL650 ("it's red, I'm looking at it right now and it's a sweet-looking bike. You going to come up and buy it?") they were going to let go for $4300, "plus dealer fees". I pushed him on the "dealer fees" but he refused to give me an out the door price.

Turns out that Sierra Cycle, in Sierra Vista, had an 06 Wee in stock, and quoted me an out-the-door price I liked.

Called Jim Scully back, and asked him to beat that price. Mind you, this is the same day, about a half hour later.

"An 06 DL650? Haven't had one in the shop for over 6 months. Now, I can get you in an 07 DL1000 for (close to twice what he had quoted me for the imaginary 650) if you're interested in that. Come on over and take a look."

Not only did he lie to me, but it was a stupid lie. I was pissed off at him for it. He would have had me make a 180 mile round-trip (at 15MPG in my pickup) to look at a bike that wasn't there in the first place- just so he could push a bike that I wasn't interested in on me. What a jackass. Avoid this dealership.

As an aside, I later found out that their 'dealer fees' run in the $3k range. A riding buddy of mine used to sell for them, and he warned me off that dealership- after my run-in with them.

"An 06

·
Registered
343 Posts
It has been a long time since I have been to a motorcycle or car dealer that knew more about the car/bike than me. They usually lie. (ie. does this have abs?, Yes, all of this model do. No, they don't only the GT model has it. No, this one has it. Okay, so me the ABS unit... and then they point to the fuse block or something... an actual story from a car I bought last year... well not that one, one with ABS at another none lieing dealer.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't give anyone your $5K until you can actually see the bike. If you really want ABS (which I'd highly recommend), get on the phone and start calling LOTS of dealers. You may still be able to find an '07. They are scarce, but I'll bet there are still a few more out there. Would you be willing to take a road trip to get one? Be careful though, as you found out, they'll tell they have an ABS when they don't.

I think the ABS's are in high demand, but most dealers don't even know it. If they advertised them right, they'd sell even quicker. You may not be able to work a super deal, like you can with a non-ABS one, because they are hard to find/in demand.

Ordering and waiting for an '08 might be an adventure. Have heard horror stories of people "ordering" an '07 last summer, putting down $, and waiting at least through this past Spring to get it.

I'd be patient, make lots of calls, hold onto your $ until you find one, be it an '07 or an '08. Doesn't look like any difference between the 07's and the 08's except the color (Silver/Grey in '07 and Black in '08 ).

I picked up my '07 ABS 5 weeks ago, and it took lots of calls to find one. Many dealers either said they had one, or could "get one in 2 or 3 days". Once I started really quizzing them and/or they made some calls, they then confirmed that they didn't/couldn't.

Turns out there was one, still in the crate, just 70 miles from home. Beet feet up there, took a test ride on a non-abs they had on the floor, and did the deal on the still-crated ABS.

Hope that helps, just my $.02.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the local Kawi dealership and asked about the 08 KLR, back before they where released. The salesman told me there were no KLRs for 08 that the three 07s they had were the last klrs available. I told him about how Suzukis website had 08s listed with pictures and price and he pretty much told me i was crazy. I didn't appreciate being flat out called a liar. Asked about the KLR at a dealership outta town that same week and they gave papers on it and when they expected it. I bought a Wee anyways but i know i wont be going back to that first kawi dealer anytime soon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think we owe it to folks like that first dealer, to explain to them why we spent our money elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts