StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some wiring for some aux led lights and came across this thing. So far I've seen 3 of them in various places. Since I'm no electrical genius, can any of you volt-heads tell me what this is? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
2016 DL650 bought used w/3600mi now 11000mi. 2004 Honda VTX1300 bought used w/1079mi now 90100mi.
273 Posts
It looks like a crimp to tie several wires together..

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
186 Posts
I asked this question a while back and didn't get a satisfactory answer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
On Gen1 Wee there are little white cube connectors with black caps at various points along the harness called ground junctions that ties together all the ground wires in a harness run. It makes laying out and taping of the harness easier because the assembler doesn't have to use continuous runs of wires. It was discussed in a thread sometime ago and the advice was don't mess with them nor use them for a ground connection for aftermarket mods. Below is a picture of Gen1 cowling wiring harness with a ground junction circled in red. Note that all the wires are black/white so it is ground only.

Gen2 and later went to what looks like a crimp connection and probably serves the same purpose. A crimped connection is probably cheaper to make too. I suspect the new design may reduce electrical noise on the harness the way that stub of wires seems to be designed like an antenna to emit RF noise that could interfere with the ECU but that is pure speculation by an ME not EE.

Reactions: Stalky Tracker

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On Gen1 Wee there are little white cube connectors with black caps at various points along the harness called ground junctions that ties together all the ground wires in a harness run. It makes laying out and taping of the harness easier because the assembler doesn't have to use continuous runs of wires. It was discussed in a thread sometime ago and the advice was don't mess with them nor use them for a ground connection for aftermarket mods. Below is a picture of Gen1 cowling wiring harness with a ground junction circled in red. Note that all the wires are black/white so it is ground only.

Gen2 and later went to what looks like a crimp connection and probably serves the same purpose. A crimped connection is probably cheaper to make too. I suspect the new design may reduce electrical noise on the harness the way that stub of wires seems to be designed like an antenna to emit RF noise that could interfere with the ECU but that is pure speculation by an ME not EE.
Thanks for the explanation dmfdmf. This does indeed make sense as all the wires coming together here are black/with white stripe wires. The picture that I started this thread with is a Gen3 bike (2020).

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Kinda like a wire nut. :unsure:

Wire nuts can corrode though so.

Must be some sort of hot melt glue?

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
834 Posts
Kinda like a wire nut. :unsure:

Wire nuts can corrode though so.

Must be some sort of hot melt glue?
Those wires are hydraulically smooshed together until the copper itself bonds. No glue required.

And the nice condom is to keep the liquids out to prevent unplanned corrosion. It's clear so you could detect if the corrosion was happening.

It's pretty elegant really. Difficult or impossible to reproduce by us amateurs without the proper hydraulic smoosher with the proper dies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The condom is heatshrink. You put it on, then use a hot air gun to shrink. That is why the fit is so good.
Hmmm...a heatshrink condom...interesting concept. :unsure: The hot air gun to shrink sounds risky at best, but downright frightening and painful if something goes wrong. 😳 I'm thinking friction induced heat might be a better option. Just sayin!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts