StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was ready to ride to work the other day when I noticed a large shiny object protruding from the rear tire. Closer inspection reveal that it was the shaft of a screw driver :surprise:. Fortunately it had gone in one side of the block and out the other without penetrating the undertread. What's the worst thing you've pulled form your tire and not had a flat?

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I pulled a 3½ masonry nail out of a 10ply Nokian Hakkapeliitta on a VW bus I owned, the nail went into the tread and came out the sidewall, how it missed the air in between, I do not know

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I pulled a 3½ masonry nail out of a 10ply Nokian Hakkapeliitta on a VW bus I owned, the nail went into the tread and came out the sidewall, how it missed the air in between, I do not know

Almost the exact same thing on the rear tire. Through one of the tread blocks, and up towards the rim on the left side. Nail was bent and just followed the curve of the tire. Didn't leak, but I replaced the tire due to fears about broken cords in the casing along the sidewall.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
the nail I had was a masonry nail, so it didn't bend, if it was a regular passenger car tire, it prolly would have ruined the tire, I think the only thing that saved it was that it was a 10ply truck tire

·
Registered
158 Posts
A few years ago while riding the KLR 650, we stopped in Madrid, NM for lunch. Pulled into the Mine Shaft Tavern and parked with a bunch of Harleys. Chuckling at the oddball KLR amongst all the hogs, we walked in and ate a nice lunch. While we ate the rear tire went flat. I looked around as if another rider sabotaged my thumper only to discover we picked up a nail somewhere. Don't remember what kind of nail, only felt shame for trying to blame the other guys fo my misfortune. Had no spare tube or pump so called a rescue vehicle and headed home.

Back on topic...I picked up the hook from a ratchet tie down in my Ford E250's right front tire an after pulling over and cutting the strap, I drove straight to the tire shop. Not sure how I missed seeing it as the ratchet and strap were still connected. What a racket that made. Beat up the wheel well and made a mess. Think I was leaving a stressful job and not focused on the road. Oh, tire was not repairable but road hazard warranty kicked in.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know this doesn't count but I was taking my 1200 bandit for a good flogging and a wild turkey committed suicide on the right side of my tire and then off the pipes. Made a hell of a ping. The truck behind stopped and picked it up. Free turkey.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
When I owned a tire shop one of my customers had a 1 ton long bed pickup with stake sides on it equipped with 10 ply Michelins (load range E). He was coming out of the mountains on a 4 wheel drive road at a brisk pace with a huge load of firewood and picked up a rock that was about 3"x4"x8" and kind of pointy on one end - shaped sort of like a wood splitting maul. It went through the tread of the tire and lodged there.

I can't imagine how much energy it took to do that but we tried to get it out just for grins and couldn't budge it even beating on it with a large hammer and prying with tire irons.

That was the most interesting thing to ever cause a flat but we had some animal teeth and bones in our collection too.

Harry

·
Registered
24 Posts
2012 on my KLR outside the UN compound in Nairobi, took a six-inch piece of sharpened rebar 3” deep in the rear tire. Don't know how my front tire missed it, had to have hit it just right . . . mostly I remember the racket it made. Seriously loud.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Friend of mine had a rear flat on his KLR. Eh, it happens.

So upon inspection we found most of a house key. Hm, that's interesting. We found a corresponding scuffed spot in the tube, but no hole...?

Upon further inspection, we found the old nail that actually punctured the tube and caused the flat.

It's a little like radiology -- don't stop looking just because you found one problem...

Another friend of mine a while back got a rear flat from, well, an ordinary rock. Out of all the billions of pieces of gravel and rock he had traversed, one piece about an inch long somehow managed to stab right through the tire.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did not find anything to take out of the tire so this may not qualify. Doing 70+ mph in traffic near Rockwall, TX and hit something. Cop thinks maybe a piece of concrete from the road, therefore, the same color as the pavement because I never saw anything. The cop could not believe I was able to pull over and didn't go down. Then I got the same reaction from the dealership where it got towed to. Believe me, it was more luck than skill. Lost all the air in the front tire immediately. The second pic is where I ended up. A police officer stopped there within 5 minutes and called for another car to search the roadway for offending object. Nothing found. Yes, the pants I was wearing cleaned up just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I know this doesn't count but I was taking my 1200 bandit for a good flogging and a wild turkey committed suicide on the right side of my tire and then off the pipes. Made a hell of a ping. The truck behind stopped and picked it up. Free turkey.
Lucky for you, 2-3 feet higher and it woulda broken yer neck, I have heard of more than 1 motorcycle fatality caused by a turkey.

a few years ago, I was on I-89 in Vermont, in passing lane overtaking a Caddy in the right lane, a turkey flew up from the shoulder right into the grill of the Caddy, the bird exploded, suddenly I was in a cloud of loose feathers

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's a little like radiology -- don't stop looking just because you found one problem...
I got a nail in my original Trailwings and took it in for a new set. When the tech removed the rear tire he noticed another nail sticking through on the inside. It was in one of the little grooves in the tire and couldn't be seen from the outside.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I had a group get up and fly (really fat ones) and they didn't get up fast enough in front of my Jeep. Smashed the windshield and $310 later it's replaced. :serious:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Besides the standard nails, screws and railway ties I have pulled quite a substantial stick out of the bead of one of my truck tires. Aired it up and it was fine. No flats on the bike yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts