·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering...
what hard luggage side case is
the toughest?

I meen which one can take the BIG hits
(like a bike drop at standing or on the move)
and still be serviceable as luggage (not gashed
wide open or cracked to bits).

I meen the luggage that can withstand a
nuclear bomb blast.

I know this is a very subjective thing but
it's not like I can go out and try all the side
cases that are out there that will fit on the
v-strom. LOL

Givi
Hepco & Becker
Happy Trails Pannier Kit
Jesse Luggage
JC Whitney
Kappa
Krauser K-Wing
Pelican
Yukon II Panniers
ZEGA Cases

Forgive me if I missed any.
Feel free to point it out if I have.

Thank you.
Pelican added. :lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
You can find the makers of the product right here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102759&page=29

Lots of good pics and details on the setup. Its defintley not cheap, but its a very hardy system. The whole thread is littered with pictures of people dropping their biks on the cases and getting up and riding off. And full drops, not just skids :) Its a very tough system, that has a ton of storage space, and isnt much larger than the handlebars. Its also got a excellent locking system, and the rack is top notch. Basically doubles as rear crashbars. One guy even posted pics of him killing a bird with his :oops:

The only downside is its not cheap. Many people make there own pelican luggage systems with the motech quick disconnects racks. I personally feel that the rear rack is defintley worth the extra dough, and will hold up indefintley.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I highsided my Wee Strom last October on a run to Deals Gap. My Givi E360 was scuffed, but it is still intact and waterproof and more importantly it probably saved major damage to the bike. If I trade my 05 Wee on an ABS 07, I'll have a serious lQQk at the Pelican cases if I can get the storage capacity

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I just found out I can restore my Givi E36 cases that filed themselves down on the asphalt at close to 100mph. The lids were the only damaged parts, only one was barely penetrated, and Givi USA says lids only can be purchased for $61 each.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fogllama said:
Yukon II's are not hard. They have an aluminum backplate, but the rest is soft.
Thank you.

greywolf said:
I just found out I can restore my Givi E36 cases that filed themselves down on the asphalt at close to 100mph. The lids were the only damaged parts, only one was barely penetrated, and Givi USA says lids only can be purchased for $61 each.
Wow.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Givi?

My E51 survived a low speed (<5 mph) drop onto pavement with a light scuff. I sanded it lightly, and it's really hard to see any damage.

The mounting rack on the other hand stripped out one of those little mushroom-cap thingys. As I couldn't find one for sale, I had to turn one myself on a lathe and then re-thread the cross bar it ripped out of. All fixed, and 5k miles without coming loose, but still a pain in the arse at the time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...I had thought that most
of the cases would be cracked and
dented beyond repair with so much
as a good drop.

It looks as if I were very wrong.
It now seem like any case at all is better than
no case when it comes to protecting the bike.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
What's the toughest hard luggage

You're also missing Moto Sport Panniers. http://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/
They make racks and bags for the Strom. Aluminum. Hard. I've been using them for about 10 years, first on my GS, and now on the Strom. They're cheaper than those others, have great tech support, and are excellent bags.

You don't want to fall down on any pannier system, but aluminum is the best.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have dropped my DL1000 on my Zega cases many times, no real damage. In fact I always leave the cases on when I go off road because it makes it easier to lift the bike back up because I can rest it on the cases.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts