Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,937 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is only one "heated grips/accessory wiring" plug. This is the 2012-16 plug, but the same as yours. https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/112409-aux-connector-heated-grip-connector-location.html

Also look here for a plug to mate it to so that you never have to go down into there again. Same as the horn plug. https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/216394-heated-grips-male-plug.html
Brockie, important to note, the 2017 and up plug looks different and the linked Eastern Beaver cable is not going to work. The correct connector is called “MT sealed Sumitomo connector 6187-2171”. It looks more rounded. Eastern Beaver has it I think. I ordered the raw plugs on Aliexpress as I already owned the crimp tool to make my own cables.
The single accessory plug is behind the radiator up high taped to something. I was able to reach it and remove the tape while sitting on the floor on the left side of the bike, without removing any bike parts.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Now at least I know there is only one (and not like 2012-16 2 of them) and is located in the same place as on my 2015.

·
Super Moderator
12,983 Posts
If the latest DL650 has a power plug (cigarette lighter socket) on the dash like the 2014+ dl1000 it basically is a switched 12v source. The fuse is quite low but it should be fine for using as a trigger for a fuse box.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The horn is another easy place to find switched power.

·
Registered
254 Posts
there are 3 asfik new style plugs available. One on the left side of the tank, near the horn, easy access, I used that one for gps power.
Another is under the dash/clock and third one somewhere under the seat on the side.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not sure of the difference between an "accessory plug" and a "power plug" to install heated grips. But my 2018 V-strom 650XT has this easily reached plug right underneath the front beak. If you're facing the bike, it's under the right side, and appears to be plugged into nothing but a plug/holder attached to the backside of the beak. Does anybody know if that is for the heated grips? It doesn't seem to fit the "horn lead" that others have said to use. BTW, I now have a couple of those if anybody wants one. This one looks more like it needs:

Sumitomo MT090-2B 2pin sealed Motorcycle Connector M(6187-2171) - F(6180-2181)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure of the difference between an "accessory plug" and a "power plug" to install heated grips. But my 2018 V-strom 650XT has this easily reached plug right underneath the front beak. If you're facing the bike, it's under the right side, and appears to be plugged into nothing but a plug/holder attached to the backside of the beak. Does anybody know if that is for the heated grips? It doesn't seem to fit the "horn lead" that others have said to use. BTW, I now have a couple of those if anybody wants one. This one looks more like it needs:

Sumitomo MT090-2B 2pin sealed Motorcycle Connector M(6187-2171) - F(6180-2181)
That connector you found under the beak is the ambient air temperature sensor. The heated grips connector is near the horn behind the radiator on the left side of the bike. It is white but it is wrapped in electrical tape so you may look past it at first. You do not have to remove the radiator or tank to get to it but removing the left fairing makes it easier to find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That connector you found under the beak is the ambient air temperature sensor. The heated grips connector is near the horn behind the radiator on the left side of the bike. It is white but it is wrapped in electrical tape so you may look past it at first. You do not have to remove the radiator or tank to get to it but removing the left fairing makes it easier to find.
Thanks very much! Truly appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts