StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just interested because after getting 16 000 km [10 000 miles] out of the rear Trail wing which I was quite happy with, I was discussed to only get 6 000 km [3750 miles] out of a Metzler Lasertec, that to me is a joke for a supposed TOURING tire, only problem is the joke is on me since I'm the poor sap that pay good money for a lousy tyre so who else out there has been stung with lousy lasting tyres

·
Registered
203 Posts
10,000 miles from a stock Trailwing is pretty good. I wish mine lasted that long. I replaced mine at 6k, but it should have been replaced around 4.5k.

This is an interesting point. We should start a tire thread, seperate topic. It might be helpful to those wanting to buy tires.

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, my rear trailwing was toast at 6500miles. Peeled right off on the highway. Now I use Metzlers.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Well I got 800 miles out of a battleaxe 020 but that was because of the nail sticking out of it :( 11000 out of the trailwing (probably another 1500 remaining)

If you want to see short tire life check out the user "Wrycque " in the other forum under tires. He claims that most are only good for 2500-3200 miles. He says thats taking it easy. Good lord he must be riding like a bat out of hell, spending extended periods above 100mph, braking and starting as fast as possible, and in general thrashing his bike to think thats normal. The strom isnt exactly a 150hp sportbike that eats tires....

Someone posted about using a trailwing on the track and making it about 120 miles before they toasted it (repeated heating and cooling).

Road makeup, wieght, maintence and riding conditions will affect your tire life too, but you should have no problems getting 7000+ out of a rear in a touring situation.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
467mi on the stock tires... I took them off as soon as I got the Strom into my garage so I could put on a set of Tourances. Come to think of it, the front tire is still in my garage if anyone wants to buy it.

Stromette

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
6000 miles on the trailwings and showing very little wear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It looks like i'm only going to get about 5,000 out of my 607. I got 6,500 out of my TW before going to the 607.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I was happy to get 8000 out of my T.W.'s .
In fact I Put another set right back on ......:)
IMHO Not a bad tire at all , No vibration , no Tire induced HEAD SHAKE
Excellent traction Wet & Dry . My choice for the 1K .;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said above I got 10 000 miles out of the rear Trailwing, the front Trailwing is still going at 24 000 km [15 000 miles], its about had it now and it and the useless Lasertec rear are about to be replaced, ME 880 marithons since most of my miles are road, sure hope Metzler do a better job on the 880 than their Lasertec.
Stromete, I'd buy your front Trailwing in a flash if I were'nt on the other side of the world, I found the trailwings to be a great tyre but since they are as dear as the 880 here figured I try the 880 and see if I can get the 20 000 km some people say they are getting, sure be a welcome treat over the 6 000 from that crummy Lasertec, just a worry there from the same company, Metzler, and while on the Metzler topic can anyone tell me if they solved the problem with their front Tourance tyres,havent heard much about that for a while

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got 7,000 miles out of my rear Trailwing. I replaced it with a Metzeller Tourance. My front one (Trailwing) has 9,500 miles and still go to go. Worned about half way, maybe a bit more. Will eventually replace it with a Tourance as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've got about 9500 miles on the bike and the stock tires still have plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
184 Posts
4500 out of the rear TW - the front was about half worn, but I don't think it it is very good economy to run a front down to the wear bars - the handling just goes into the toilet about about 40% tread left on most fronts.

I'm fairly pleased with that, I've gotten as few as 1300 out of Dunlop 207s before on sportbikes.

- Mark

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got 4500 miles out of the OEM Trailwing and get about that on Tourances as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Guess I'll chime in on this. The stock TW rear is absolute toast at 7400 miles, but the front has decent tread left. After a near put-down today due to the rear getting loose on me in the middle of a wet road twistie (at a very mild 30 mph), I'm parking the bike until I can get the rear replaced. Oh well, guess I'll have to fire up the Baghira and scare the bajeesus out of the neighbors this weekend!

·
Registered
441 Posts
No Stomette got four hunnert out of a skin because she is a wild woman. I'm imagining about dozen smoky burnouts in the first day or two!

Kidding aside. I've only gotten about 4K out of the OEM Dunlops on my KLR 250 and it sure as hell isn't becaue I was smoking the back hoop with the beastly 24 horsepower from that mill.

MWValley

·
Registered
60 Posts
No many

I got about 4500 miles on my OEM TW and picked up a BIG nail. I got 5000 on the replacement rear TW (it was completely toast) and 10,000 on the front. The front had tread but was cupped and handling suffered. I replaced the TWs with Pilot Roads and I love them but, the rear has about 3600 on it and is looking thin (maybe another 1500 miles left). The front looks like new. It appears that this bike will require a new rear tire every 5000 miles and a new front every 10000. I rode a lot of gravel Sunday and it was fun. I may try the Tourance next and risk my old fat body on some fire roads.

Just Bill

·
Registered
316 Posts
My stock TW's lasted 9300 miles, the rear was squared off and a slick in the middle, the front was cupped a bit, but still usable. I put a set of Anakees on this past Friday and only have 300 miles or so on them - but like them so far.

I hit some fire roads along the Blue Ridge Mountains this past Saturday, and even with some slick mud, the new tires did a good job.

Here we are on the trail after we climbed up out of the wet area...

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I replaced the original Trailwing today at just under 8,000 km (5,000 miles). It was completely shot. It probably should have been replaced last week, but I had a 700 km ride planned last weekend and I thought the tyre still had around 1000 km on it. That last bit of tread sure disappeared fast. I think the front still has 2 - 3,000 km to go, but I'll be watching it closely.

The replacement rear tyre is a Battlewing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts