StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds like just the ticket for the 'Strom but why is it so friggin' expensive? Targeted at Harley riders maybe?

Is anybody using this stuff in their 'Strom?

Here's a blurb on it's MC-specific properties...

"Fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specifically engineered for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, yet they are optimized for the unique requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission.

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

Mobil 1 V-Twin oil is designed for air-cooled, large-displacement bikes. Because of their design, these engines can generate very high localized oil temperatures and high overall bulk-oil temperatures.

As you know, a typical air-cooled V-twin's rear cylinder gets a lot hotter than the front cylinder – it's a matter of airflow. When it's hot out and you're stuck in traffic, the oil temperature in your bike climbs rapidly. Above about 250°F, conventional motor oil is going to break down. Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic oil is good to above 300F.

Like Mobil 1 MX4T, Mobil 1 V-Twin has high levels of phosphorus/zinc and the same high-temperature detergent technology for superior wear protection and engine cleanliness, even at elevated oil temperatures. And it's formulated to protect against wet clutch slippage.

You can use Mobil 1 Motorcycle oils with confidence, knowing they will protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional motor oils simply can not stand up, including extended high-speed operation and prolonged idling in summertime traffic."

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mobil will readily admit that their motorcycle oils cost no more to produce than their car oils. But they'll correctly make the point that a speciality oil for motorcycles produced in 2% the volume of their car oils requires completely different distribution, marketing, support, etc. IOW, they charge more because the market is willing to pay more for something custom tailored to a specific application. It's basically the same reason that the same hamburger costs $15 at a good restaurant and $3 at McDonalds.

Whether a motorcycle-specific oil is really necessary in a motorcycle is probably the most-debated internet subject there is - google away and read for days. Personally, I use M1 15W-50 car oil in most of my bikes including my Strom.

- Mark

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It couldn't be that motorcyclists are willing to pay more for oil that has "motorcycle" printed on the container, could it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
greywolf said:
It couldn't be that motorcyclists are willing to pay more for oil that has "motorcycle" printed on the container, could it?
I do believe you have it!

Buy Rotella Syn T $16 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Or even Rotella T at $9 a gallon. Or Chevron Dyno. Oh, whatever desiel oil is readily available (Rotella is "everywhere").

·
Registered
327 Posts
You're all correct!
I hate to think how much I've contributed to Castrol over my 44 yrs of riding just because, for years, it was the only oil that said 'air cooled' & 'motorcycle' on the label.

Al :oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts