StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a LOT of posts on here constantly complaining about vibration. I wondered vibration compaired to what? The absolute biggest twin I have ever ridden was a V2K or a Kaw 2,000. It really wasn't bad, but you could tell it was a twin! The worst bike was my VTX 1300 at 55-60 mph, buzzed your hands to sleep, if you went faster or slower it was o.k. Cheers-BB

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges. A 90 degree v-twin is smoother than those v-twin cruisers.

I've ridden a Honda RC51 and while you could feel the pulses, it was smooth in relation to something like a paint shaker Harley. It wasn't as smooth as an inline-4.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few "cruisers" I've ridden would literally put you're feet to sleep! No apples to oranges here----I just read about all the vibration posts and wondered if anyone has even rode a bike with serious vibes, and no this in no way is a H-D bashing thread--to small of a frame for me, but I do like some of the looks of certain models! Cheers-BB

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed; 90 deg v-twin is a fantastic engine. I have a Ducati monster 800... some vibes, but I've done a nearly 600 mile day on it w/ no problems. I've ridden a friend s Monster S4R (996 cc), and again some vibes, but not bad at all.

It's the lack of balance in a 45 deg (or other) twin w/o a natural balance that gives the vibes.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The funny thing is (about cruisers)----they actually make them to run like that? The single pin crank will give you a "proper" sound with pipes, but will vibrate a LOT more? BB

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges. A 90 degree v-twin is smoother than those v-twin cruisers.
I don't know why they even bother to put mirrors on Sportsters.

To answer your question, I've ridden several Harleys displacing 96 cubic inches. What they lack in refined delivery of power, handling and braking they make up for with estrogen magnetism.

·
Registered
211 Posts
most $$ vibrator in the world :cool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
My last bike was a Roadstart Warrior. 1700cc pushrod, aircooled, v-twin. The Strom aint got nothing on that bike's viberations.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Shadow ACE 1100, single pin. Yeah, it vibrated. So when people complain about vibrations in Stroms or Katana's, I just shrug.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hmm..

That would be a 250. Her name was Gretchen.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Zook M109 ...I think that is 1850 cc. Very smooth, very fast, very nice!

·
Registered
57 Posts
2007 HD Road Glide. Ugly, torquey, got 50 MPG. Rode it 1500 miles in 2 1/2 days. Cruise was awesome - makes me want to add to my wee. No numb hands on the HD, but so far I have no numb hands on my wee, either.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I see a LOT of posts on here constantly complaining about vibration. I wondered vibration compaired to what? The absolute biggest twin I have ever ridden was a V2K or a Kaw 2,000. It really wasn't bad, but you could tell it was a twin! The worst bike was my VTX 1300 at 55-60 mph, buzzed your hands to sleep, if you went faster or slower it was o.k. Cheers-BB
I had the vtx 1800 and loved it. When I was looking at them, the dealer showed me how badly the 1300 vibrated. The choice was obvious.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I regularly ride a 1584cc HD and a 1200cc BMW. The Harley is butter at cruising speeds. Yes, it the engine shakes like mad at idle, but they have done a lot of work to minimize how much of that is transferred to the rider. I just try not to stop. :) I can ride it all day long, the mechanical sensations it produces do not cause me any grief.

The RT is rough at idle 'til it warms up, then it is better. At cruising speeds, say up to about 70, it's pretty comfortable, but there is definitely some buzz in the handlebars. Above 70, or when you are winding it up beyond 4k or so for spirited riding it's very buzzy. It leaves my hands tingling at the end of a ride of more than an hour or two.

My Wee has only 350 miles. It's buzzier than the BMW, especially in the pegs. I'm told it smooths out once you get 1 or 2k on it. I hope so.

·
Registered
523 Posts
1500 Kawasaki Nomad. No vibes. Smoothest cruising bike I've ever owned. Smoother than the Wee which can get slightly buzzy through the bars and footpegs at around 5k.

But vibes don't bother me. It's a bike. :bom_smoking:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I rode both a Kaw 2000 and Zook M109R at Americade. Neither were all that bad but definitely worse than the Strom. In fact I loved the M109R if I ever wanted a cruiser. I was riding behind a SV650 and was able to keep up in all but the tightest of turns. I hated the ride of the Kaw 2000. It had the beach bars and the curve was really uncomfortable. It vibrated a little more than the M109R but less than a Sportster 1200 and Road King I have ridden in the past.

Of course a Gold Wing is like butter but I still want to ride a CBX or KZ1300 just to ride the smoothest configuration possible. Would that be like waxed butter?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Rode the VTX1800

Meh......I don't care for big, heavy, slow stopping cruisers at all. Power was real nice, but that bike weighed as much as an elephant

*wait, test rode the Raider once. 1900 I believe. That was a decent ride for a really big cruiser

1 - 20 of 37 Posts