StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
The tire ware on the Michelin is excellent so really a cheaper tire could have you pulling money out of your pocket again allot sooner.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I run 705's. Regardless of how they are marketed, I consider them mostly a road tire with some off-road capability. Someone said 90/10 and I would agree with that. I would go with Suzuki recommended tire pressures on road. I had my rear start to cup because I was running it about 5 pounds too low because someone said I would get more traction, which turned out to be BS. I replaced it and it is doing fine, along the front that has been on there for the whole time.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
When you see posts of mileage of over 15,000 miles on a rear tire, make sure you have your hip waders on! There is some BS to wade through. I don't doubt a few riders have managed over 15,000, but what did they go through to get that? And how would other tires compare in mileage.

What you get with your riding style is all that matters. I gave up long ago on a 10,000 mile rear tire......
I dunno, I put nearly 45,000 miles on a General altimax Arctic, and it still has 40% tread

for someone only concerned about cost, Darkside is the way to go, I'm not recommending it, since I have a spare rear wheel, I only run darkside in the winter when there are no other fools on the road with a bike, before I had the spare wheel, I did run darkside 2 full years, a compromise like any other tire, one I could deal with for its snow & ice benefits, but have gone back to a MC tire for the other 3 seasons

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The tire ware on the Michelin is excellent so really a cheaper tire could have you pulling money out of your pocket again allot sooner.
And now we've come full circle :laugh:

While I won't doubt that I may get better life out of that tire, the more budget oriented tires with lower life fit my needs a bit better right now. In a year or 2 when I need new rubber again that might be a different story.

I also see some reviews that the Road 5's are smoother (in terms of absorbing impacts/shocks, not vibration) than whatever Battlax tires they were comparing against on the bike (whatever came stock on the Ninja H2SX SE, not the T31s based on tread pattern) but again... just a matter of finding what's best and fits the budget for right now. Will re-evaluate in a year or 2.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There's no shame in that! They are professional and have the experience.

On my maiden voyage time with my no-mar tire changer, I could not install the rear Bridgeston Battlewing on my machine. Ended up taking the rear in. Come to find out, the shop owner said the Bridgestone Battle wing sidewalls are REALLY stiff and showed me a special technique as he had a hard time taking if off himself. He advise that next time I do this, be sure to leave the tires outside in the hot sun for a few hours to soften them up.
Leaving the tires in the sun is great when the sun is out and its summer. But sometimes that's just not an option.

Changing tire is definitely a technique thing and there are small tricks that make it go a whole lot easier. Small wooden blocks to hold the tire in past the bead making it easier o get the wheel to seat in the hold down cams is one.

When tire changing with proper technique with the levers and lube points there is rarely a need for a lot of force. Its actually pretty east to rip a tire. If you are really forcing levers of tire irons you are doing something wrong. biggest thing is when getting the second bead over the lip of the rim you need to keep the opposite side in the drop center On some tires this is har and the tire will even roll up to the point where the thread is touching the drop center.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
When I was price shopping a couple months ago Rocky Mountain ADV had the good prices on Shinko's with free shipping.

Another good reason to buy from them is that you get a percentage back to use for future purchases.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got 10,000 miles out of a rear 705 ($88). I got 11,000 miles out of a PR4 Trail($200) I don't think price makes a tire last much longer.
The 705 is a good tire and I use them but they aren't exactly in the same league as the Michelin for a road oriented tire. Just as you say money won't make a tire last longer. Making it cheaper doesn't make it better. I believe I read the OP is looking for a road tire.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here's my two bits based on your original post regarding tires for the paved road. I've been using the Pilots for 3 years (Pilot 3 and 4) and recently rode a friends VStrom with Bridgestone T31's - Battlax Sport Touring. I found the T31's to have similar grip as the Pilot 4's but without all the vibration and noise. I wouldn't say the Battlax were any better but the reduction in vibration was welcomed.

Here's my take on tires for motorcycles. Determine what type of riding you like to do, lots of twisties, lots of pavement, or part pavement part offroad. Then determine what's the very best tire for your type of riding and pay whatever the cost. Shop around for the best price if you have the time and shop local so if there is a problem it can be resolved much better than from online purchases. Let's face it, that little bit of compound rubber/silica contacting the road is what is keeping you upright and safe. You'll feel much better and even ride better knowing you have a quality tire that meets your riding capabilities.

Ryan at Fortnine (youtube) just did a video on "How to Choose the Best Motorcycle Tire - Best of 2019" and this year didn't include the Michelin's Pilot tire.

And Ryan's revealing video on chain lubes will change your idea on 'lubing' those O ring chains. Prepare to save lots of money on all those 'lubes' you currently use.

·
Registered
412 Posts
He asked for bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, actually he didn't. He specifically asked, and I quote "best bang for your buck street tire?" I could line up street tires all day that would beat a 705. It is a great low cost all round tire that is well balanced for a bit of on/off road use. As I said before, I use them. For a full street or perhaps a 90/10 they wouldn't even make the list. The fact that I like them doesn't make them a good answer to his question. Jussayin.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Really! I have a hard time believing any tire with that mileage.
Feel the forces pulling at you, coaxing you in, drawing you deeper and deeper down the swirling vortex into (dnn-dnn-duuun).....................the Darkside, for affordable unlimited rear tire mileage. Ya know you want to>:).

Okay, I'm not buying it neither. haha!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hey folks, sorry I've been offline for a few days. Spent a long weekend doing yard work and helping a buddy install a new clutch in his car.
I was looking for street tires and wound up pulling the trigger on a pair of T31's. Ordered Friday and showed up on Monday. Now I'm just waiting for the bead breaker/spoons to show up (today) and I'll get them installed.

I'll get some 705s or 804/805 combo later on (hopefully this year) when I have some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket for the dirt trip I hope to take later this year.

Thanks again for all the recommendations!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts