StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, been a while since I was on the forum being winter and all. Been riding a decent bit this spring but just noticed it's May and I'm coming up on needing an inspection sticker which will almost certainly require new tires (at least a rear).

Last year I knew I'd probably need tires this spring and was planning on spending more than I probably should for some Pilot Road 4 tires for street duty. I have a 2nd set of wheels I'm getting some cheap knobbies for but that's lower priority than my street tires.

Today, cash is a bit tighter than I anticipated after I missed an expected bonus this spring, taxes and insurance bills came in, and some unexpected car repairs drained my bank account... This really got me thinking that maybe the Pilot Road tires were a bit overkill for a Vstrom, but just now I read the Pilot Road 5 review a bit further down in this forum and I'm flip flopping on how I feel since the review was quite positive. Leads me back to why I picked the 4's when I was shopping last summer.

So what's the general consensus out there these days for the best bang for your buck street tire for our bikes?
I know you get what you pay for most of the time, but is there a tire that seems to punch above it's price point?
I was looking at the T30 EVOs for $300, but for $100 more I could have the Road 5 Trail tires which definitely seem to perform better based on that Road 5 review thread I mentioned...
Trying to keep the budget down but I could shift funds around a bit to make the Road 5's happen if the consensus is those are the best option.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Best to ask members in your area, because prices vary a lot depending on your location.

For instance, when i called last week at pete superbike, the T31s were 276$ Cdn.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used Shinko's on a dual sport years back and will probably be buying their 804/805 tire combo for the knobbies that I hope to buy later this year for dirt duty.

Right now I'm looking for street tires and and the most street oriented Shinkos that come in the right front tire size are the 705's (an 80/20) which is more dirt oriented than I want; I'm looking for something 100% street or maybe 95/5.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best to ask members in your area, because prices vary a lot depending on your location.

For instance, when i called last week at pete superbike, the T31s were 276$ Cdn.
I was planning to order off Revzilla (at least that's where I've done my price comparison so far) so figured the prices there would be pretty similar regardless of region.
I'd obviously shop local in case a shop could cut me a deal around here but my backup would be revzilla.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was planning to order off Revzilla (at least that's where I've done my price comparison so far) so figured the prices there would be pretty similar regardless of region.
I'd obviously shop local in case a shop could cut me a deal around here but my backup would be revzilla.
Trust me, talk to your local dealerships, some may surprise you with a lower price (after you mention the online price that is). I like to support my local shops as much as i can, when they make the effort to be competitive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me, talk to your local dealerships, some may surprise you with a lower price (after you mention the online price that is). I like to support my local shops as much as i can, when they make the effort to be competitive.
Oh absolutely - I completely agree about supporting the local shops.
I have two local shops I'm going to approach about tires once I decide on what tire I want... but if the dealer can beat the online prices for several options it may be a moot point.
E.g. if I were comparing the T30's vs the Road 5 Trails and the dealer could beat online prices by $10 per tire, the price difference between options wouldn't change and my question about best bang for the buck would still stand.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm not too far from you. I dont know any shops in your area, but i know around me some will always mount for free if you buy from them. That usually outweighs the savings from buying online. However, im guilty of not doing that because i usually need a tire in a hurry and the small shops around me take forever at times.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that would definitely help save some money, though I'm not sure if it would offset the cost...

It's normally $50 to mount and balance but my brother just went to a shop around here who charged him $25 to mount a tire on his dualsport wheel after I pulled it from his bike for him.
I could definitely pull my wheels and tires to bring just those in to the shop if I can get them done that cheap, though my brother's tire wasn't balanced so idk how much extra balancing would add for my tires.

But if I could get the tires at the same price (or close to it) as online with free mounting and balancing I'd definitely give the local shop the money.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,192 Posts
Beware of drinking the Michelin Kool-aid! Anyone that pays their inflated prices for their good tires has no choice but to say they were the best tires period. It is human nature. If you have never run anything but ( insert name here ) then how do you know how good they really are? Same for your first set of road only tires on a V Strom. Yes, they feel fantastic. So would any number of other brands.

Hard to beat the price on Bridgestone T-31 right now. American Moto Tire has them for $237 a set shipped and there was a substantial rebate card available on top of that. I run these tires. They cannot be beat for all around value.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Shinkos 705 for 90/10. If you want more dirt oriented. try the shinkos 804/805.

705s go for around 160 for a set.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Beware of drinking the Michelin Kool-aid! Anyone that pays their inflated prices for their good tires has no choice but to say they were the best tires period. It is human nature.
That's why I'm here. I don't like kool-aid, too sweet. :)

Hard to beat the price on Bridgestone T-31 right now. American Moto Tire has them for $237 a set shipped and there was a substantial rebate card available on top of that. I run these tires. They cannot be beat for all around value.
I hadn't looked into the T31's very much, was mostly looking at T30s EVOs since they have better reviews than the 31s for about the same price over on revzilla (granted there are more reviews since the T31 is a newer tire)... Will look into the T31s more
Edit - Damnit, the bridgestone rebate on tires expired yesterday. Would have bought these right now if I could have got a $60 rebate on top of that price.

Edit - and the 705 is an 80/20, not 90/10... at least according to what the internet tells me.
It's definitely a nice looking tire and I would probably be getting those if I had to pick one set of tires for street/dirt combined duty, but I have a 2nd set of wheels collecting dust that I'll be putting 804/805s on so no point in having my 2nd set be anything other than 100% street since that's where most of my miles are anyway.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
check if you have a CycleGear store in your area. I bought my last set of tires on sale there at a good price, and they'll mount and balance them off the bike for about $30 wheel.

I was using Shinko 705, good price, but only good for about 5 or 6,000 miles.
They had the Anakee for 36% off last fall, so I went with those, I should get more mileage out of them to offset the extra cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check if you have a CycleGear store in your area.
Nearest one is probably about an hour away, maybe a bit more. I'll check out the website and see what sales they are running and if I find a good enough price maybe I'll make the trip. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Your best bet is if you don't do tire changes yourself is befriending someone with a tire machine. I could shod your DL with new Shinko 705's for under $150. Go to a shop and the same would be $250 - $300.

I buy tires from 3 places:

2wheelmoto
Bike Bandit
American Motorcycle Tire

Between the 3 always the lowest price available shipped to my door step in 2 days.

Discounts and rebates do not matter when you are getting a discount/rebates off MSRP.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,192 Posts
I have run the T-30, the T-30 EVO, and the T-31.

The T-31 is doing slightly better than the other ones in wear and feels at least as good when ripping through turns. They are pretty much the same tires as the earlier ones, so any really negative reviews would be suspicious to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have Bridgestone Battlaxe A40 Adventure tyres both ends, great on the road, terrific on wet roads and ok on loose surfaces.

·
Registered
562 Posts
For street only, I think the Bridgestone T31 (and previously T30 EVO) are some of the best bang for the buck. Sticky, wear evenly, last pretty long.
But I haven't tried Contis or any of the lesser-known brands like Shinkos.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts