StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting the itch for a new ride lately, but am not sure what to look at b/c my vee has had me content for some time now.

What bikes have vee owners moved on to or dream about post vee?

· Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Eww, spoked wheels on the Tenere? Means a tubed tire right? No thanks. A pain in the arse to clean too. Sure is purdy though. Maybe they have a mag option.

Edit: I see the bike description says "Tough spoked, tubeless aluminium rims", so it would be just the cleaning issue. Save the spokes for cruisers IMO.

· Registered
299 Posts
I concur, if you want to stay with an ADV touring bike, the new Tenere is the cat's azz.
That's pretty much my feeling also. But I will wait it out a few years first to see how the market plays out and what other options come along. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Tenere but the cost and delivery schedule nixed that option for me. For now I'm very pleased with my Vee.

The new Guzzi Stelvio ain't to shabby either, but parts and ease of working on the bike won't be as nice as the Tenere.
I rode the Stelvio and found it not nearly as nice to ride as in my imagination. It's not even close to the Tenere in refinement or ergos, which is too bad as I really wanted to love that bike. I love Guzzis and maybe I'll have a LeMans Mrk I one of these days.

Is there a possibility you might go with something other than an ADV touring bike?
That's the most probable for my next bike purchase, even if I keep the Vee. I could see either a FJR or something more sporty (Kawi ZRX1200, that LeMans Mrk I, or maybe a Triumph Thruxton 900) showing up next........ hmmm. Ya, I've got MBS but it's better than MWS.

· Until we meet again
5,433 Posts
so it would be just the cleaning issue.
It's a dual sport. Look on youtube and other places to see how this bike is being used. Like a big dirt bike. Why would you want to go overboard cleaning it. I'm not anticipating the spokes to be anything but another part I occasionally squirt with a hose.

· Registered
299 Posts
Eww, spoked wheels on the Tenere? Means a tubed tire right? No thanks.
Nope, modern tubeless tires, similar to how BMW does it. The spokes don't poke through the rim.

They are a little harder to clean but that's what pressure washers are for. I like spoked wheels on ADV and vintage style bikes. For the rest I'll take cast wheels.

· Registered
79 Posts
Nope, modern tubeless tires, similar to how BMW does it. The spokes don't poke through the rim.

They are a little harder to clean but that's what pressure washers are for. I like spoked wheels on ADV and vintage style bikes. For the rest I'll take cast wheels.
What he said. The Tenere rims have a 90 degree spoke that does not penetrate the rim. Therefore they run tubeless tires.

Lucas

· Registered
79 Posts
That's the most probable for my next bike purchase, even if I keep the Vee. I could see either a FJR or something more sporty (Kawi ZRX1200, that LeMans Mrk I, or maybe a Triumph Thruxton 900) showing up next........ hmmm. Ya, I've got MBS but it's better than MWS.
Funny you should mention that. My other bike that keeps my DL1000 company is an 07 FJR1300. If you've never had one, you really should. They are an absolute blast, and have power everywhere. The DL1000 is now my daily driver, but for freeway riding, the FJR wins hands down. When you whack the throttle, it pulls like a freakin train. Plus, the power is so smooth and linear, you're doing 100+ mph, and you don't even realize it.

My ultimate goal is to keep the FJR1300, and maybe eventually sell the Vee and pick up a use Tenere.

Lucas

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree....a used Tenere sounds like the best option. That bike is sick! I actually was looking at a FJR1300 before i found my Vee.

Although, I'm not sold on it being shaft driven....I like having a chain for and adventure bike. Do others think its superior?

· Registered
79 Posts
The Tenere looks really nice.. Would you recommend this if you don't plan on doing too much adventure riding?

Has anyone seen any used ones around?

Are these avail in the states? What am I looking at estimated, OTD?

Thx!
Tenere won't be in the states until Aug 2011, and those will be the new ones to fill orders that have already been submitted. I wouldn't expect to get a new one until the end of 2012.

Lucas

· Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Shaft drive is the only way to go. Make the Yamaha awful tempting.
With shaft drive you have no options. Just ride it. With chain you can mess with sprockets to have the bike how you want. Added maintenance sure, but it doesn't take much effort to clean and lube a chain.

Shaft has to have it's fluids changed out regularly too, so it's not completely maintenance free.

Plus there is a hit on performance with shaft VS chain.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
I can live with that. Ahhhh an oil change every 25000 miles. No can of lube traveling with me where ever I go. I even like the stock gearing on my vee. So yep I will live with the limits of a shaft.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.