StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ,

I am coming up on my 4000 mile service, and I have done oil filter changes, oil changes and screw tightening, Chain cleaning and adjusting, but never messed with fuel injectors. The dealor quoted me 300 for all that, which is a little much !

So, what is involved in cleaning the fuel injectors?

Thanks,
MW

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Most services clean fuel injectors "on vehicle" which essentially consists of bypassing the rest of the fuel system, and then hooking up a pump which runs solvents through the injectors to clean out any deposits. Some will do "off vehicle" cleaning, where they remove the injectors and put the in a machine that pumps the solvents through the injectors combined with ultrasonic vibrations. It's doubtful that most motorcycle shops would have the machine for "off vehicle" cleaning.

Worst case, some shysters will simply dump some Gumout in your fuel tank and charge you for "fuel injector cleaning." It's best to ask you shop specifically what they do. If htey are't willing to explain it to you, go find another shop.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey ,

I am coming up on my 4000 mile service, and I have done oil filter changes, oil changes and screw tightening, Chain cleaning and adjusting, but never messed with fuel injectors. The dealor quoted me 300 for all that, which is a little much !

Thanks,
MW
Save your money. It is highly unlikely you have a problem with your fuel injectors needing to be cleaned...

Worse case, run some techron thru it on a full tank ride.

Coop

·
Registered
28 Posts
Proposed Injector Cleaning

As a career professional mechanic I can safely say that 99% of injector cleaning operations are a complete waste of time and money. Just use clean fuel always and change fuel filter as specified in owners manual.IMHO
rt

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay - maybe I'll go with option 2 then...

Option 2 being to order the V manual online, Get the oil, new filters, and change them myself.

It would be convenient to pay the guys to do it. But $305 is too steep. I will have them do the valve check though someday.

And It happens that I do get gas at the local Texaco (with Techron) station. Maybe I'll also make it a practice to only put high octane in it.

Thanks guys, good advice...!

·
Administrator
16,609 Posts
I have to run 90 octane or higher in my C14, so besides looking for top tier stations, I also avoid pumps that don't have seperate hoses for the octanes. And whether it is needed or not, I still like to drop in some Techron a few times a year.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Am I confused?

Is the dealer suggesting you need your injectors serviced or are you thinking it needs to be done?

At 4,000 miles?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Never been an issue. I do use some pour-in cleaner 2 or 3 times a year just "because".

cheers

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
The multiple references to Techron as an additive cleaner -- it's the first time I've seen on this forum or anywhere else the emphasis on that particular product. Is there a new study that I haven't seen as far as effectiveness is concerned? Did Sea Foam, for instance, lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Hey ,

Thanks,
MW
I guess to really answer your question, NO, you do not need anything done with the injectors. You may want to seek a new dealer however.

Cheers!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah - the dealor, in his quote "Fuel injectors cleaned"

Yeah,

The dealor says they just do that apparently. 4000 miles service. I don't recall seeing that in the owner's manual service schedule as a requirement for 4k.

Also,

I haven't got my mechanic manual yet for my 2008. Can anyone tell me the torque setting for the oil drain plug, and also is there a torque setting for the oil filter?

Thanks,
MW

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Yeah,

The dealor says they just do that apparently. 4000 miles service. I don't recall seeing that in the owner's manual service schedule as a requirement for 4k.

Also,

I haven't got my mechanic manual yet for my 2008. Can anyone tell me the torque setting for the oil drain plug, and also is there a torque setting for the oil filter?

Thanks,
MW
Your dealer sucks. Find a new one.

15 ft/lbs for the oil plug and 2 full turns past contact for the Suzuki oil filter. I'm sure there will those who say the plug just needs to be tight and a torque wrench isn't needed. The OEM filter has a round gasket that must be flattened to make a proper seal. Hence the 2 full turns. After-market filters may have a flat gasket and require significanly less tightening to make a proper seal. Buy the Suzuki oil filter wrench for $8. It's worth the money and will help make things easier.

SS

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The multiple references to Techron as an additive cleaner -- it's the first time I've seen on this forum or anywhere else the emphasis on that particular product. Is there a new study that I haven't seen as far as effectiveness is concerned? Did Sea Foam, for instance, lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?
Techron has been tested and found useful by several independent agencies. It's good enough that competing brands are putting it in their gas. I think Sea Foam is usually used for de-watering gas or storage.

Besides, the Chevron Cars love Techron. It makes their schvanstukas bigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, did the oil change / filter swap

Oil change went fine, got a hi-flo filter from a competing smaller dealor up by that one dealorship. I paid 27.95 for the filter and oil, plus I bought a strap-wrench for 6 bucks and some crush gaskets.

I also read in the manual I can check the coolant fluid level by popping off the seat. Gotta check that tomorrow along with chain tension/ cleaning

So, I am glad I saved the $305 bucks, since at the rate I am putting on miles oil changes will be very frequent!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It depends on the year. A 2007 650 and later has it as pictured. The seat has to come off to read the level and the tank has to be lifted to add coolant.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I learned something new today. Thanks greywolf.

So, now I am curious as to what's occupying the place where the overflow bottle used to be?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts