StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know exactly what an engine mount thrust adjuster is and what it's exact function is?

Our bikes have them but I have no idea what the heck they're for. Wouldn't a regular nut work?

What does it adjust? If you tell me 'thrust' I will hit you.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
You must be changing out your engine, Janice. From the position it occupies, and the description in the maintenance manual, I'd guess that it is just a fancy way of adjusting/controlling the torque (side thrust?) on the main transverse engine mount-to-frame bolt. Here are instructions on making a socket to fit the lock nuts associated with them:

making special tool for engine mounting thrust adjuster : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

Now let's talk about the part where you offer to hit me..............

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's what holds the engine onto the engine mount hangers. After torquing the adjuster with the special tool, the engine mounting bolt goes through it. The thrust adjuster is what keeps the engine from dropping when the bolt is removed to mount some makes of crash bars. Here's a pic.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's what holds the engine onto the engine mount hangers. After torquing the adjuster with the special tool, the engine mounting bolt goes through it. The thrust adjuster is what keeps the engine from dropping when the bolt is removed to mount some makes of crash bars. Here's a pic.

Thanks. Nowhere in the manual does it explain what it does. Now I know.

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
Wonder why they don't use the universal description for the device, the Recessed Fastener Removal Tool.
Then we'd all know WTF they are referring to. Yeah, anyway.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The name of that part makes me think about sending new Privates out looking for things like Canopy Lights, Boxes of Grid Squares, Exhaust Samples, ACOG Batteries, and the PRC-E9.

·
38,103 Posts
12Nm is the correct torque but it's unlikely to do much for vibration. The crash bars/accessory bars/engine guards are like organ pipes. They pick up the vibrations and amplify them. The most effective damping involves separating the two halves by fitting rubber at the connection between the two sides.

·
Registered
352 Posts
12Nm is the correct torque but it's unlikely to do much for vibration. The crash bars/accessory bars/engine guards are like organ pipes. They pick up the vibrations and amplify them. The most effective damping involves separating the two halves by fitting rubber at the connection between the two sides.
Sorry Greywolf just asked you in another thread, is there one or two of these on the bike?
the guy in the other thread said tourqueing it to 12nm cured the vibration in his bike so it's worth a try, thanks.

·
38,103 Posts
#7 and #9

1 - 12 of 12 Posts