StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On his VSARI site, R. Rick wants to organ. some variant of WABCDR and he recommends use of an aggressive tire, without defining same. I have M Anakee 3 and do Forest Srv Roads as much as I can. The next tire I know about in aggressiveness is the Conti TKC-80. I don't want to switch to them because I think the pavement experience will be less nice than the A-3 and they will wear much faster. I also think a knobby is only necessary in sand or mud, or for climbing berms or getting out of tank traps. A front knobby might prevent the ft tire from dishing out in soft/slippery terrain but going slow and counterleaning might do as well. Ditto for fording streams. I would not run the VStrom onto a Pacific beach even if I saw cars out there because of sand. I probably wouldn't do it even with TKC-80 because it would only mean I could dig a nice, deep rut under the rear, a lot deeper than I could with an A-3. I suppose the mud is not avoidable around Wash. state until it dries out more. So, for what I have done in the past, the TKC-80 is overkill. Comments??? Don't be shy.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Heidy k-60 scouts.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Try the Kenda Big Block K784. I find them good on all terrain - hard packed, rocks, sand, mud, tarmac :thumbup:

Cheaper than the TKC80's as well, and they now last just as long :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If I was riding lots of forestry roads I would run a TKC front and a mild rear like a Shink 705, M40 Full Bore or a Tourance etc. Although the 705 front ain't bad on dirt roads, but the TKC does a bit better on loose stuff.

I've run aggressive tires front and back on my bikes, but I hate the tread life on the rear. I like to carve corners too much though, so I just run a mild DS front tire usually. Try a set of M40's or 705's and see if they are enough. To me the Strom looks funny with knobs and I live on a dirt road... :green_lol:

705's might surprise you, much better on dirt roads than OEM. Better than Tourances in the dirt to me. Although, I do like Tourance on pavement better. Best to get a tire changing set up and be your own tire shop, try them all! Tires are like oil to some folks. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
566 Posts
You're fairly close to MX-1Canada where you can purchase a Mitas E-07. I'll be trying one on the front this fall. Better price than a K-60.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Not sure how this will come across, but if you don't know what "aggressive tires" are for the type of riding you envision, then perhaps your skill set isn't up for manhandling a 500lb dirtbike in questionable terrain....A big heavy bike like the vstrom isn't the best bike to discover that your tires aren't aggressive enough for flinging your Wee around off-tarmac.

Of real importance, is reducing the PSI in your tires when riding off pavement - even a dedicated street tire will function as a halfway decent hardpack dirt/rock forest service road tire when run at a reduced PSI. The PSI you run on the street is not very good for providing grip in the dirt. Picking up a portable mini-air compressor, so you can pump em back up for the freeway ride home is a wise investment if you wish to really enjoy getting off the tarmac and onto the dirt. Most of us are too lazy to do this, and rely on knobby-lite tires like the Heidenau Scout, Shinko 705, Fullbore M40/41, etc, to provide grip instead of airing-down the tires....lazy yes, I know!

I'd recommend a tire that is still a bit smooth riding on tarmac, yet will give you good grip/feedback on dirt roads and mild gravel-over-hardpack surfaces. Tires like the Heidenau Scout, Shinko 705, Fullbore M40/41, all provide a good bit more dirt-bikey capability than your Anakee (2 and 3), Tourance, Trailwing type tires provide. If you're just beginning to dabble in the dirt, running a TKC, or a Kenda Big Block will be a waste since the dirt miles you'll likely see will be minimal, and these tires DO wear down fast on the street.

Either way, enjoy the process of widening your riding opportunities - tires are a good way to get there.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Most aggressive:
Metezler Karoo
Metezler karoo T
Continental TKC80
Kenda Big Block

Aggressive:
Metezler Karoo 3
Heidenkau K60 Scout
Mitas E-07 (not distributed in the U.S., can get in Canada)

Pretty aggressive:
Shinko 705
Full Bore M-40

1 - 9 of 9 Posts