1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Pics would help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Aug ‘18, I bought a’12 650. Even the same color. Mine had 27k miles. It had new tires, fork brace, bar risers, crash bars, fog lights, mirror extenders, heated grips, 12V outlet, Seat Concepts seat, PM rear racks & all bulbs swapped to LED’s. I paid $4k

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Despite Mucksavage 's great deal. This one seems a good deal. Personally, I wouldn't buy one without luggage...but that's just me. I use luggage all the time.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I sold my stock super clean w/o a mark on it 2012 DL650 last July with 20,000 miles for $3,500. I could have priced it at $4,000 and kept lowering it but I wanted it gone. It took 2 weeks to sell and in that 2 weeks I had exactly 2 people express even remote interest.

As a buyer I'd shoot for $2,800 tp $2,900 since it needs tires. $3,000 to $3,150 if the owner get new tires on it. Even if he puts on inexpensive Shinko 705;s they are good tires and it save you the hassle.

Being a buyer in a DL650 market is a far better position than being a seller in a DL650 market.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Seems like a bargain.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
"I wouldn't buy one without luggage"
Other than getting a frame to mount the luggage on the market is so full of workable options that it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Plus, guys are always offering used luggage mounts in the for sale section. You could probably get away for a couple hundred dollars and have a satisfactory set.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Other than getting a frame to mount the luggage on the market is so full of workable options that it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Plus, guys are always offering used luggage mounts in the for sale section. You could probably get away for a couple hundred dollars and have a satisfactory set.
Truth! I'm not used to having bike with so many options! It's good....real good!
I take back what I said!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check out Soloboxes - I think they are on facebook. Good quality, and way less expensive than some other options that are as well made. There are a few caveats - they are cheap not because of build quality, but because of what is left out. No locks - but you can buy inexpensive padlocks for them (I happen to think two padlocks per side case is a pita compared to one key twist on a central lock, but if it saves a few hundred clams....), and the tops are removable - not hinged, not attached (but they do latch down securely).

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Ratchet, I could put hinges and locks on those boxes so quickly it make you head spin. A key for a pad lock or a cylinder lock is still a key, no big deal.
My Seahorse boxes have integral locks if you pay the extra bucks or drill a hole and buy a set of like keyed locks and voila, locked box.:grin2:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Beside mentioned above you are getting aftermarket windshield, engine guards and engine cowl. I don't think it needs new tires but you can use it in negotiating the price. To me the price seems reasonable but I would offer $2700 and eventually meet the seller half way at $3000. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I bought my orange 2012 in June 2017 with 6400 miles. Not a speck of dirt, immaculate well maintained condition with luggage, skid plate, engine guards. I paid 5K, so I look at this as a tremendous bargain. Good luck and if you are interested I may sell the Givi racks and E-21s that came with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was offered a $2500 trade-in by a dealer for my one-owner 2012 DL650A with 31,500 miles on it, with a Corbin "Canyon Carver" seat with a small tear in it, a SHAD top case mount (and 49L case), OEM hand guards, engine cowl, center stand, 12V accessory port, V-stream windshield, and a tool tube and "accessory shelf" for my EZ-Pass tag and a wireless TPMS display on a small "dashboard".

I thought that amount was crazy low, until they said they were going to have to replace it with a stock seat (since I hadn't kept my original stock seat that I replace 6 years ago), replace worn chain/sprockets and steering bearings, and do other cosmetic touch-ups (i.e., remove emblems and reflective stickers/decals I have put on my bike).

Replace the Corbin with a stock seat? OK...

Another guy at the dealership overheard this, came over, and said he was sure a friend of his would buy my Glee as-is for $3500. But he never followed up, and now I'm just going to fix up and then keep this bike if I'd only get in the neighborhood of $3000 to 3500K for it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dealers wont give you money for accessories, often it makes the bike worth less.

A motorcycle needs a seat. If you remove one and add another, the value of the bike hasn't changed, even though it cost you several hundred. Same goes for suspension upgrades, etc.... If something is visibly damaged than dealers won't soend time shopping and will just order oem.

They'll likely have to spend 1-2 hrs shop time cleaning and reconditioning, then have to list it high enough to allow some negotiation room while still paying a salesman commission and making at least $1000 on top of their investment. The advantage to you: it sells today. $2500 doesn't sound unreasonable. Some areas require that dealers offer 30 day warranties as well which ads to their cost.

How much is your time worth and how much will it cost to recondition it yourself?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts