StromTrooper banner

What would you do with this turn signal?

• Replace with stock.

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • Replace both with aftermarket.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Epoxy inside and use with cracks.

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Retape it with better tape.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nothing.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Remove all the turn signals because they are not cool. (The PO of my Vulcan did this)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gently laid my bike down in the driveway while attempting to put it onto a swingarm stand and broke the right turn signal housing. The lens in split into two pieces. The body is in three. I was able to tape it together with packing tape enough to ride. It is functional. From the options in the poll what would you do with it?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
even with the Givi crash bars the stock signals are vulnerable in any kind of scenario where the bike ends up lying down. After eating 2 stock ones learning this in the first year of my off road exploits, I bougt a set of semi flush mount ( less than 2" profile) aftermarkets for under 10 bucks and they have performed well ever sice

·
Registered
37 Posts
I replaced mine after the same problem in my garage except the left side. Ordered the stock replacement from ronayers.com. Looks good as new!

·
Registered
705 Posts
After eating 2 stock ones learning this in the first year of my off road exploits, I bougt a set of semi flush mount ( less than 2" profile) aftermarkets for under 10 bucks and they have performed well ever sice
Have a link to what you purchased?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I bougt a set of semi flush mount ( less than 2" profile) aftermarkets for under 10 bucks and they have performed well ever sice
which ones and where did you get them?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I replaced broken indicators with some 20 dollar Chinese aftermarket that would have a running light too is I weren't so lazy. What I got was slightly smaller but still had flexible stalks and work fine.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A local friend offered me a signal off this Bandit. I do like the looks and easy install of that Touratech setup.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
They're not cheap but after two "laydowns" I got tired of having to tape up or replace the regular style turn signals. I replaced them with high intensity LED lights from Watsen Design. Mounted right into the existing holes, just needed a larger body washer on the inside.

Watsen Design LED Signals

Site says not taking orders now . . . Maybe closed down?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I consider the turn signals disposable, so stockers are to much $. I would go more flush mount or cheap aftermarkets. if my cheapo's break I will try the more flush style one's these guys are recommending.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Careful with those flush mount lights. They may end up costing you a lot more if the popo are having a bad day. They stick out so they can be seen from a 45 deg angle.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My buddy had a signal from his Bandit that he gave me. The rubber stalk is different but the plastic head can be unscrewed from the stalk and swapped to my V-Strom stalk. The Bandit has a clear lens with orange bulbs. I'll have to change that over at some point.

I'll have to unscrew my stalk from the fairing and disconnect the wires. Then I'll have to transfer the bulb and wires and stalk to the new signal and bolt it all back up again. Hopefully it isn't too difficult.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Goop is your friend.

Amazing GOOP Adhesive Products

I think my signals are more Goop than plastic now. One of them has been resurrected from the dead two or three times. You can use it to coat the outer side of the housing and applying heat before it is dry results in a nice smooth finish.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The install went well. I had to transfer the light socket from the Wee housing to the Bandit housing because the Bandits wires had been cut. I had wanted to use the Bandits clear cover and orange bulb because of the crack in my orange cover. But an orange bulb has the tangs at 4 and 8 on a clock whereas the clear bulb and socket is at 3 and 9. So I taped my orange cover and used my bulb and socket. It was a bit of a pain to unplug and replug the wires in the small space.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts