StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of an off the wall question, but I'm needing a little advice. I recently bought a Wee and ride locally - mostly on paved roads, but I do like to explore gravel and dirt roads. The bike has a Tourance and an Anakee on it right now and they will need to be replaced later this summer.

A guy who replaces tires before going on long trips gave me a 705 front and I'm wondering if it's worth using. It's a non-radial, has 9/32" tread depth, and a date code of 709.

The local shop has quoted $100 for the 705 radial rear, $15 to mount & balance it, and $30 to mount and balance the front that I supply.

Given that the free front is a non-radial, that it's over 6 years old, and that I'll pay extra to have it mounted, I'm wondering if it's worth using or if I'd be better off just getting a new front radial from them as well. I didn't ask, but it'd probably be around $90 + $15 to M&B. Overall, the extra investment would be about $75. Worth it?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Do a "Google-search-box" search here..........early generation non-radial Shinko's were prone to "chunking". Granted, probably most of them did not, but do you want to gamble that on a long ride?? :confused:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I used 705's on my KLR, they are cheap, I only got about 3500 miles out of the rear on that light bike, I ride 98% pavement, I stopped using them after I had head shake twice.
I say trash it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would not put another non-radial 705 on my bike.:thumbdown: I have used the 705 radial without issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm with you guys on this one and will probably just order a new set. It'd be one thing if I was on a really tight budget, and wanted to mount/balance them myself, but neither of those is really the case.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Think Motorcycle superstore. Check out the prices

1 - 8 of 8 Posts