StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks;

En route to Argentina writing to you from Harbin Hot Springs in California.

Thinking I was a smart cookie and well prepared I ordered a pair of Shinko 705 tires in advance to be ready for me in San Diego.

Problem is, my tires are looking pretty sore and I probably should have replaced these in Seattle before I left. I've attached some photos here: Photo Album - Imgur of the rear and front tires.

The rear tire looks like I'm almost at the wear bar. I also noticed some slight cupping to the rear tire.

I put 3,000 miles on these tires before I got the bike (the tires had mileage on them before I got them).

I did some Google Maps calculations and it looks like its 100 miles to San Francisco, and 662 to San Diego via Highway 1.

So my question is:
1) What would you as a stromtrooper do? Replace the rear tire in San Francisco? Go for San Diego so I can grab the tires I already bought?
2) If you'd replace the rear tire, what would you replace it with?

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I would chuck them now. You're hitting wear bars.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would go with the 100 mile replacement.662 is probably pushing it pretty hard.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would dial back my speed and ride the one or two days it takes to get to your tires in San Diego. There is a lot of tire left at the wear bars unless the weather is poor (wet) or you are pushing them - rough roads or high speeds.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I would dial back my speed and ride the one or two days it takes to get to your tires in San Diego. There is a lot of tire left at the wear bars unless the weather is poor (wet) or you are pushing them - rough roads or high speeds.
This would be my course of action.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Any way you can return your tires that are waiting for you in SD? Murph's may be able to ship them to SF for you. They have a very competive price for the set. I just put a set on. I like them Much better now after 300 miles on them than when they were fresh on. I am running 34lbs front and 38lbs
rear. :hurray:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I would not hesitate for one second to start off for SD. As another posted, keep your speed down...but as long as ANY tread is showing you have a viable tire for dry-surface use. After all, racers run on slicks, and the carcass between tread grooves is as thick now as when the tire was new.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not hesitate for one second to start off for SD. As another posted, keep your speed down...but as long as ANY tread is showing you have a viable tire for dry-surface use. After all, racers run on slicks, and the carcass between tread grooves is as thick now as when the tire was new.
I'm tempted to run them to San Diego. What PSI should I go with? I think I'm running 34 up front and 41 in the rear.

When you say keep your speed down, give me a speed that you're thinking?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'd run 'em to SD, but you probably already knew that. Heck, all the storms are on the other coast after all. :biggrinjester: Keeping speeds down to me means don't go 80+, keep it to the limit mostly in other words. I'd bump the front up to at least 36psi.

Fwiw, I run my Shinkos at 40/40.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Check the weather forecasts first. We've been having temperatures in the 100's in SoCal and that will cause the tires to wear much faster.

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
I'd ride to SD. The lack of a tread pattern will only be an issue if you hit wet roads and aquaplane. You still have a reasonable amount left if you keep your speed down to less than 70mph. Try 60mph - it won't make that much difference to trip times.

BTW, thanks for the invite to the BBQ in Seattle, I enjoyed myself that night (back home in Oz now).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd run 'em to SD, but you probably already knew that. Heck, all the storms are on the other coast after all. :biggrinjester: Keeping speeds down to me means don't go 80+, keep it to the limit mostly in other words. I'd bump the front up to at least 36psi.

Fwiw, I run my Shinkos at 40/40.
When tread is low; wouldn't it make more sense to have a lower PSI as it would wear the middle part less quickly?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Assuming dry pavement: Slight cupping? Ride em. Almost to wear bars? Ride em.
I'm wondering though, is the collective braintrust recommending a different pressure because the tires are worn? I would think that if tires are worn in the center a lower pressure would would spread the load wider and reduce the wear in the center.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Lower air pressure causes the tires to run warmer. Warmer rubber is softer and wears faster.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Legal tells me to always answer threse threads: "Replace".

I didn't even read the text of the original post.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi folks:

Thanks for the input. Given how safety paranoid I am, I changed the rear tire here in San Francisco. Was able to get a Shinko 705 for $100 which is about $16 + tax more than I paid for the one from Motorcycle Superstore (which it turns out I can return).

Now the question is, "Would you keep the rear tire and bring it with me (even though bringing a tire would seem to be a royal PITA), return the tire, or keep it with my family friend in San diego so they can ship it to me if things get dire and I can't find anything down there?"

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Given all the stuff you're carrying already, I'd leave it. And that front end wobble? See how it is after you change the front tire.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dude, you need to learn to answer these questions for yourself. You are headed for the big time and their isn't going to be anyone there to hold your hand. Adapt, improvise and overcome. Best of luck!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude, you need to learn to answer these questions for yourself. You are headed for the big time and their isn't going to be anyone there to hold your hand. Adapt, improvise and overcome. Best of luck!
Please try to have some empathy. I've been riding just over a year, and lack your experience. And I'm embarking on a 1-2 year trip. Things like, "when should a tire really be replaced", or "is a tire worth carrying to South America" are important questions that I have no basis to judge given my inexperience. If there is a community to ask questions to, why not pose them? I have certainly asked and answered many questions that you won't see me posting about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts