StromTrooper banner

461 - 480 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the CB500x is an interesting unit , but probably underpowered - I've got to keep up with Phil and Gord , and at least keep VTom from slipping over the horizon . The DL650A is a magnificent machine , but it needs a skidplate , heated grips and some sort of seat treatment , which brings it into the price range of the used Super Tenere .

The VFR 1200x also intrigues , but it would need $3k in bags and protection , so , off my list . Probably a good thing that I can't test ride it !

/Alex .

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I think the CB500x is an interesting unit , but probably underpowered - I've got to keep up with Phil and Gord , and at least keep VTom from slipping over the horizon . The DL650A is a magnificent machine , but it needs a skidplate , heated grips and some sort of seat treatment , which brings it into the price range of the used Super Tenere .

The VFR 1200x also intrigues , but it would need $3k in bags and protection , so , off my list . Probably a good thing that I can't test ride it !

/Alex .
N.J.Bill went from a Vstrom 650 to a ST and loved the bike. Haven't seen him in a couple of years, but assume he still loves the Yami.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I think the CB500x is an interesting unit , but probably underpowered - I've got to keep up with Phil and Gord , and at least keep VTom from slipping over the horizon .
No acceleration thrills but you won't be left behind either especially in the twists it will do north of 100 mph but not get there quickly ...neither will the Vstrom 650. .....the CB500x handles very well.
You simply aren't getting light weight and liter bike and you'll still be riding when their tanks dry up. Yes it means more shifting but the 500x is easy to stir.

This review was a surprise to me - and both machines have seen improvements..... I had not classed the CB500x with my Wee..... I do now.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/254474/2013-suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-2013-honda-cb500x-comparison-test/

I expected a trade off for acceleration dropping from the CBF1000 plus much better fuel mileage and good drop in weight.
That was as expected.
...the unexpected was the stability at speed on the slab.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

/Alex .
It's a 6k price difference lol skid plate is 300,heated grips 150 and seat concepts is 300. I'd also add another 300 for some adventure tech goodies. So you are still saving about $5,000 and its new vs used :)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,868 Posts

/Alex .
Do it, Ride it! Trust me, that 3000.00 will be long forgotten the first time you grab a hand full of throttle. When I'm saddled up money is the last of my thoughts, its the only time, but its a good feeling to know it was well spent. ROFLMAO!

Do it! You can thank me later. :wink2:

Reactions: tenny80

·
Registered
529 Posts
My lightly-used Super Tenere will be on parade in Bancroft , and then again at the Iron Horse rally ( unless Phil leads me into a bog . Or a stream .Or a ditch . Again .)

How does he come out unscathed ?

Alex .

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Super Tenere would be my choice. Having spent a lot of time on FJRs I just love that Yamaha shaft drive. I have a friend that has one. I love riding it. It has all of the things I would like to have on my V-strom. It will be my next bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awesome bike, Congrats. There is just something about a Guzi. Post pics.
Thank you, and sorry for the delayed reply.
Stelvio has been fun, heavier than the Vee for sure but also more power, and feels more stable, naturally.
Too bad due to pandemic and the unemployment, I am not able to take her out for long trips which I was initially hoping for....oh well.

Attached are the photos for your viewing pleasure:

Cheers,
TL

Reactions: Ennsync

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yamaha Tracer 900GT or BMW F900XR...the BMW price is reasonable until the options are added, but the Tracer seems to be priced well, has a great engine and has lots of items that come standard.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Thank you, and sorry for the delayed reply.
Stelvio has been fun, heavier than the Vee for sure but also more power, and feels more stable, naturally.
Too bad due to pandemic and the unemployment, I am not able to take her out for long trips which I was initially hoping for....oh well.

Attached are the photos for your viewing pleasure:
View attachment 273986

View attachment 273987

Cheers,
TL
Nice, there is just something about riding a Guzzi that is timeless. I love those bikes. We had a shop here in town that sold them but they went tits up and closed shop. I rode the Stelvio several times and it is a fun bike. Valve checks are a piece of cake, unlike my current ride.

Reactions: Ennsync

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like the question, was thinking about it myself, but it's waaaay to soon - I bought my first V-Strom this spring, a DL650. Love the bike!

My problem, around here (Twin Cities), is most dealers will not let you do test rides. So how would I choose a bike, except for scouring the internet. There is no substitute for a test ride to get the feel for the bike.

Do dealers allow test rides in CA?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I like the question, was thinking about it myself, but it's waaaay to soon - I bought my first V-Strom this spring, a DL650. Love the bike!

My problem, around here (Twin Cities), is most dealers will not let you do test rides. So how would I choose a bike, except for scouring the internet. There is no substitute for a test ride to get the feel for the bike.

I have never bought a brand new bike so I have no idea about dealers.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts

Which dealers are you going to? Motoprimo does test rides, so does Leos south. Or are you having an issue because you have only a permit?

·
Registered
215 Posts
gonna be a v4..... possibly a triple.

loved the VFR when i had one years ago but don't remember it having a very comfortable seating position. don't wanna get involved with the Italian line so maybe a V-max.......

or maybe a DL1050

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Probably a DL1050 as well. I want the cruise control. Looked at that 900 Tracer but the foot peg placement is too far back. But I have two other bikes and the CSC TT250 only has 350 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Reactions: oldjeep

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Twenty since you are in Canada you have access to the CBF1000

View attachment 274010

Truly a sport tourer

mine from a while back
Bike looks great, but the seating position doesn't look very sport touring unless the rider is pretty short or that tank is huge. Even on my FZ1 couch rocket the seating is sport touring(ish), would be better if you were in the 5ft 10 or under range.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice, there is just something about riding a Guzzi that is timeless. I love those bikes. We had a shop here in town that sold them but they went tits up and closed shop. I rode the Stelvio several times and it is a fun bike. Valve checks are a piece of cake, unlike my current ride.
I was privileged enough to know someone local who had connections to get the MG destruction bikes for couple of years and during that time, while helping my master mechanic friend with dismantling them, he would let me ride the ones in running condition around the yard. I got to test ride several bikes and I was really impressed with all the models I rode (Breva, Griso, California, Nevada) but never had the chance to ride the one model I really wanted to, Stelvio. I almost got a 2010 model at a very good price but it fell thru. I rode a 7-8 year old California which was not really in top running condition but still, it rode like a dream. It was so comfy and the bike practically rode itself while I had a grin on my face like a fat kid in a candy shop.

Now I have that same grin on my face when I am riding the Stelvio! I made some mods to it to make it even more "mine" and it is an awesome bike. Working on them is definitely much easier than most any other bike, and it doesn't seem to be a high-maintenance bike either. It is top heavy like the Vee but all around heavier and bigger than the Vee. I was practicing slow turns on a full (8.x gallon) tank and let me tell ya, it is not for the faint-hearted!

After my wonderful 7 years with the Vee, I needed to try something new. I considered a used (2016) Kawi Versys 1000 but found out about MG pulling the plug on a few models so the dealers had them marked way down. Beginning of 2019 I found out a dealer in San Diego was selling them for almost half the MSRP, I broke my cardinal rule of buying a new bike and pulled the trigger. The funny thing is, even the used 2010-2012 models with at least 8K-10K miles, if you can even find one, are typically selling around the same price I paid for my new-old stock Stelvio with zero miles!

I have enjoyed every single bike I have owned so far despite their occasional and/or inherent issues. I am only greedy when it comes to bikes. I want to rode as many bikes as I can but occasionally I have a bike like the Vee where I hold on to wayyy longer than usual.

Keep the shiny side up!
TL

461 - 480 of 488 Posts