StromTrooper banner

441 - 460 of 488 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
I was up at 12 midnight a couple of weeks ago to be first to put my order in for the MG V85TT. Couldn't pull the trigger as MG wanted a $2000 non-refundable deposit. I will have to wait till it is in the dealer showroom to check it out.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
WOW that KTM 790 Adventure really gives me the chills.......don't need the R version. Could be the only bike which could pull me away from my 650XT, time will tell with it's reliability and overall smiles for miles factor. I still love the Super Ten, but damn is it heavy.....and the AT still isn't quite as good as I believe it should be for the price.

Reactions: chirosyd

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
WOW that KTM 790 Adventure really gives me the chills.......don't need the R version. Could be the only bike which could pull me away from my 650XT, time will tell with it's reliability and overall smiles for miles factor. I still love the Super Ten, but damn is it heavy.....and the AT still isn't quite as good as I believe it should be for the price.
I wonder about its gas tank configuration. Could be brilliant; could be a disaster. It will certainly be and feel WAY lighter than the Yamaha.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 to US Market

. I still love the Super Ten, but damn is it heavy..

2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 to US Market

Specs:
Power*: 72.4 HP (54 kW) @ 9000 rpm (DL650 66 hp at 8,800 but lesser ground clearance and suspension ?)
Torque*: 50.2 ft-lbs (68 Nm) @ 6500 rpm (DL650 44.5 lb⋅ft at 6,400rp)
Fuel Capacity: 4.2 gal
Fuel Economy: TBD
Wet Weight*: 452 lbs (205 kg) (DL650 490 lb wet)

Of course, with the KTM 790 or 790R, you get:
95 hp at claimed 416 lb dry, which should make the bike really rip
The LC8 Paralell twin should have much more longevity than the single cylinder thumper engine they used to use, which I"ve heard required re-build sooner than I would find acceptable.
Cruise control and quick shift are options, but how much cost would they add ?

Still there is so much to study on these bikes before buying, if you ask me. Things like aftermarket availability and cost, special tools required for maintenance ? MPG ? Premium or unleaded gas ? Tank Size ? Yet Unknown flaws, disappointments, or quirks. Inner tubes needed with those spoke rims ? Price of service(not owner's) manuals.

I like the way the mid-size adventure bikes seem to be pursuing greater power at lighter weight performance, which should be accompanied by better mpg, if you can run regular gas, that is, but most motorcycles depreciate so quickly that if you don't sell them within the first 5 years of ownership, and in good condition(don't drop it !), that you will take a huge loss on re-sale. I also don't like all the additional maintenance and reading all of the bullshit about how easy it is, particularly the valve adjustments. When I do shim-under-bucket valve adjustments, I am very slow and careful to make no mistakes, sand shims and measure with micrometer, etc., so I will only have to do it once in long time, but still it is a pain in the ass. For me, a bike is just a fun toy, which when you add up the costs saves no money over most 4 wheel vehicles, but keeps mileage off your 4 wheel vehicle which usually needs less maintenance. The time it takes to do all the additional maintenance to a bike, when you add it all up, I find disappointing as well. On almost all cars & trucks, you do not need to periodically adjust the valves, clutch, chain, etc., and the tires last much, much longer--and you can still get all of this with high performance packages without any greater maintenance.

I'd like to see a different valve design used in shim-under-bucket bikes which would eliminate the manual valve adjustment all together. I would like the bike to use iridium-tipped spark plugs that last over 100Kmi like my Toyota Tacoma does. Also, any other changes to eliminate some of the maintenance tasks, longer life tires with lesser $/mile(or whatever currency/Kilometer), to reduce motorcycle costs, so their superior mpg, lighter weight, and lesser emissions would make them more competitive cost choices with 4 wheel vehicles. I've read all the arguments about why these things are they way they are, but do not believe this could not be done. Eventually, electric engines may make all of these suggestions moot, but this might require a lot of infrastructure changes in home wiring(220v in garage) and/or public infrastructure to fast-charge batteries combined with better, longer-lasting/smaller/swappable, battery technology.

As for the bikes which interest me, the two mentioned above are interesting, but I also like the Yamaha Tracer 900GT, FJR1300(but I hate the stock handlebars and not sure I would want to chance the tube conversion kit shipped from England). Right now, since I have my DL650 adjusted and outfitted, with only 30kmi, I don't know how much more spare money and time I would need to take the loss on selling it and re-farkling a new bike. Sometimes I wish I could just rent one of these new 'fantasy' bikes for a while, at reasonable rental costs, which is not possible. There are always test rides, I guess.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Higher performance “anything” typically requires more maintenance, Stroms are basically like really good dependable no frills appliances. :smile2: I have a feeling the KTM 790 will be everything I wish my Strom was, and odds are it’s going to be overall damn reliable and dependable too. Their factory upgrades and accessories are second to none, and they are always near the top in innovation and giving owners what they’ve been asking for.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
It lost me at made in China.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Yes that does piss me off and gives me some pause, shame on KTM for that.
I am sure this was the reaction early 70s when Japanese started importing to US. While china produces very cheep quality products , they also can produce better than average products for better price, they have bought almost all of the failed European companies and turned them to profitable exporters. If a small company such as the one that Keanu Reeves own can produce motorcycle , how could not a giant economy?
I am tempted to try new SCS 450 which is almost a copy of BMW 850 in sizes, and it is in Azusa , locally and have if not the best but very good warranty.
Also Chinese motorcycles by number and variety are taking the market in Africa and South America also growing in EU and Asia, If they start producing or introducing bigger displacement they may find their way to US market too:wink2: , as we want bigger and stronger bikes , BTW , HD is now made partially in China.
Chinese car also are sweeping Asian and African market , they produce copy of SUV Lexus with 2.0 Turbo engine for ~36000 Aust.$
If I find what I want in Chinese store I don't mind, every item on my desk has a made in china Label.:smile2:
Ride safe/Ride long

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Yessssssssssss lets get into another KTM 790 discussion LOL

it does look a great bike, it will be a step up from the AT offroad, but another step down on the road. I actually really like the changes they made to the 690, I'm thinking about one to replace my DRZ.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Yessssssssssss lets get into another KTM 790 discussion LOL

it does look a great bike, it will be a step up from the AT offroad, but another step down on the road. I actually really like the changes they made to the 690, I'm thinking about one to replace my DRZ.
Dunno what the changes to the 690 are but the Enduro I rode with a few years back was plagued with fueling problems. It spent a lot of time in limp mode. And it wasn't good at highway speeds, certainly no better than the DRZ. The KTM was sent packing in fairly short order and replaced with a Honda. On long hauls, we would trade bikes just so he could get off the KTM now and then.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Dunno what the changes to the 690 are but the Enduro I rode with a few years back was plagued with fueling problems. It spent a lot of time in limp mode. And it wasn't good at highway speeds, certainly no better than the DRZ. The KTM was sent packing in fairly short order and replaced with a Honda. On long hauls, we would trade bikes just so he could get off the KTM now and then.
yikes at double the cost that isn't what I wanted to hear haha

2019 KTM 690 Enduro R Highlights
NEW Dynamic LC4 single-cylinder engine with less vibration and more power featuring electronic fuel injection, Ride-by-Wire technology, dual balancer shafts, PASC slipper clutch and 6-speed gearbox.NEW styling based on the EXC family for a more aggressive look and enhanced ergonomics.NEW chassis for optimized rider feel and control with a lower seat (910 mm / 35.8 in) while keeping the same suspension travel.Fully-adjustable WP XPLOR suspension with separate damping circuits and 250 mm (9.8 in) of travel for the best offroad suspension on the market.Cylinder head with dual ignition featuring individual timing control for optimal combustion.Stainless steel exhaust with catalytic converter.Ultra-light chrome-molybdenum trellis frame.Self-supporting polymer rear fuel tank.High quality Brembo braking system combined with lightweight waved discs.Technology-leading Cornering ABS with Offroad mode (to disengage rear ABS) for hard braking under all circumstances and the Quickshifter+ for smooth clutchless shifting.Motorcycle traction control (MTC), motor slip regulation (MSR) and Street and Offroad ride modes that can be switched directly from the handlebars for controlled power delivery.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Well, I hope for your sake the new enduro has addressed the fueling issues which were well documented.

One thing the DRZ lacks for sure is a 6th gear.

But personally, I'd take a less flashy bike that was reliable over the bundle of trouble that KTM was.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well, I hope for your sake the new enduro has addressed the fueling issues which were well documented.

One thing the DRZ lacks for sure is a 6th gear.

But personally, I'd take a less flashy bike that was reliable over the bundle of trouble that KTM was.
I have not bought anything yet, I may not even replace it all. I do want a second bike I just dont know what.. I kinda want something new, I didn't put many miles on the DRZ. Sporty bike or maybe even a cruiser or something crazy like that, i'm all over the place lol.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm torn between the 2018 VStrom 650 , with panniers (3) , centrestand and crashbars for $9699.00 CAD , the 2017 Honda CRF1000LAH , with Panniers (2) , crashbars and fog lights for $12,508 , or a nice used 2017 Super Tenere with all the goodies for $15,500 .

I've watched all the reviews , read the threads on each . I know the DL650x is the logical , frugal choice , but ............

/Alex .

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm torn between the 2018 VStrom 650 , with panniers (3) , centrestand and crashbars for $9699.00 CAD , the 2017 Honda CRF1000LAH , with Panniers (2) , crashbars and fog lights for $12,508 , or a nice used 2017 Super Tenere with all the goodies for $15,500 .

I've watched all the reviews , read the threads on each . I know the DL650x is the logical , frugal choice , but ............

/Alex .
The 2017 AT had a few issues, I think I was considering the exact bike you are ;) A lot of changes/improvements in 2018 for them. I went to my local dealer to see one, the suspension is REALLY soft and from what i've heard it's not nearly as good on the road as the V-Strom. Given the trips you take, I am not sure it's the right bike for you. Bob's Motorsport in Chatham has a very nice VFR1200X DCT that might be worth a look. Has the suspension fully upgraded, skid plate, etc for 11,999

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts

/Alex .
Would be easy choice for me......Super Tenere without question. If you are planning on long comfortable tours, while throwing in some off pavement as well "S10 is better off pavement than any Strom", plus you get real cruise control as well and trouble free shaft drive.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Originally Posted by newhoco

I've watched all the reviews , read the threads on each . I know the DL650x is the logical , frugal choice , but
If you want frugal have you looked at the 2019 CB500x ...they have moved it to more off pavement oriented

2019 Honda CB500X | More grunt | More travel + 19" front | MCNews.com.au
Cheap insurance too.

Low initial cost and cheap financing ( 5.49% pn 60 months )

https://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/adventure/cb500x

Very cheap on gas with a long range and 440 lb. wet. Will tour all day at 120-140 and still sip gas. No twist of the wrist thrill but have not found it lacking in power and the 2019 adds a bit more mid range torque.

They made some serious off pavement improvements which don't interest me but might make it useful to you.

The Shad top load cases only add 6lb

Taking this X-country in June ( this is the 2018 )

441 - 460 of 488 Posts