StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello stromtroopers , I am back from half day riding from Malibu and Mulhollnad drive , what a beautiful day ,what a ride .I have done the same ride and road on sport bike before , but I enjoyed todays ride may be more,sitting position on my 2008 DL1000 is much more comfortable and bike over all control is easier compared to my 2014 VFR 800.ever sice i bought the vstrom on december ,I am not riding the VFR any more , just 20 minutes weekends to maintain the the battery.
I am thinking to sell them both and upgrade to something better for all purpose , what would be your recommendations? alot of good bikes that you have in Europe we donot have them in US, or california
I am thinking about followings :
super tenniere (but I donot like the look that much)
V strom 2018 XT 1000
Africa twin( i like every thing on it only after fully adventure upgrading.
Multi strada 2018, except I never had italian (in very old day my Dad was riding a vespa like 50 years ago.)
BMW GS 1200 Adventure fully upgraded for Adventure( too expensive and I might be scared to ride a brand new 30000 us $ bike ,if I do that would be my very last bike.)
I like Versys 1000 but looks a little toy like to me.
what I really really like is a Triumph Tiger XC 1200 ,fully factory equipped,I was very close to buy one in 2014, but did not happen d/t financial considerations.
I still want to buy the best for the buck , easy maintenance and coast of maintenance is important too.
Having said all of that what would be your choice ,my type of riding is every weekend 300-400 miles of combination of freeway, hiway ,and Canyons with a group off big adventure bikes mostly BMW 1200 s.
I enjoy my ride with 2008 DL 1000, but is non ABS and no traction control,otherwise
great bike. Vstrom 2018 would be the less expensive for new bikes , but how good they are? are they as good as old V stroms?
Thank you:smile2:
Ride safe

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
alot of good bikes that you have in Europe we donot have them in US
exactly - crazy popular in Europe ....limited availability in Canada ...zilch in the US...

It IS a CBF1000. Same weight, shorter seat height, better brakes docile until you twist the tail then ....>:)

Nowhere near the luggage storage or weather protection but a 3,000 km 4 day loop to Ohio convinced me.
KLR650 in Australia meets my get muddy needs.

I likely won't get another Strom unless it's a mini in Australia.

Canyon carver the The CB650F if you like ( as I do ) lively inline 4s.

Good timing ...finally coming to the US

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2014-honda-cb650f/

·
Registered
615 Posts
CRF250L or DRZ400S, need something smaller. I am keeping the dl650 for a looooong time though.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
I deleted your other thread in this section asking the exact same thing.......

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
A used well farkled V2 2014 and up. Cheap but much better than your VEE.

Luggage, a Givi Airflow, Peg Lowering Kit, Sit&Fly seat cover is probably all you need to be grinning all the time riding with your buddies for 1/3 of their cost.

Or if cost don't matter by a GS.

.... BMW GS 1200 Adventure fully upgraded for Adventure( too expensive and I might be scared to ride a brand new 30000 us $ bike ,if I do that would be my very last bike.) ... No it won't. There will always be that "better" bike you desire. If you get a used V2 at least there is no huge loss when you get tired of it ;-)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A used well farkled V2 2014 and up. Cheap but much better than your VEE.

Luggage, a Givi Airflow, Peg Lowering Kit, Sit&Fly seat cover is probably all you need to be grinning all the time riding with your buddies for 1/3 of their cost.

Or if cost don't matter by a GS.

.... BMW GS 1200 Adventure fully upgraded for Adventure( too expensive and I might be scared to ride a brand new 30000 us $ bike ,if I do that would be my very last bike.) ... No it won't. There will always be that "better" bike you desire. If you get a used V2 at least there is no huge loss when you get tired of it ;-)
very well said.:smile2:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Not sure why you'd want or need an all-out ADV bike for the riding you are describing, but the DL and Versys are street bikes anyway, so either of those would do. Both a bit heavy.

Forget the Tiger and Tenere. Both big too and not the best for canyons. Have you also considered a Tiger 800 street model? Or a 2018 DL650? Possibly the DL1000 is the ticket.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The only bike I'd consider now is a newer Super Tenere ES. Heated grips + electronic cruise control + shaft drive = heaven on wheels! . If they made one with 800cc that would be fine.

I've considered a bmw but after talking to owners the high maintenance isn't my cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Not sure why you'd want or need an all-out ADV bike for the riding you are describing, but the DL and Versys are street bikes anyway, so either of those would do. Both a bit heavy.

Forget the Tiger and Tenere. Both big too and not the best for canyons. Have you also considered a Tiger 800 street model? Or a 2018 DL650? Possibly the DL1000 is the ticket.
Consider me confused by that statement? :confused:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It's hard to think about riding anything else, really.

But if i had to consider something else, the ninja 1000 has a special place in my heart.

Now if i had a boatload of money available, Triumph Explorer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Not ever getting rid of my strom but if I were to add another GT/ADV bike to the garage it would most likely be the Ducati Mulit-strada. Love that bike.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
really hard to decide .
unless I keep them both and buy an Africa twin.( I would have done that if Africa twin was coming with 500 CC price)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we have Kawasaki Versys 650 in our group , when we exit the canyons and enter HWAy or free way ,the bike is not very safe for keeping up with GS1200A .

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I keep thinking I would enjoy something with more power and similar comfort to my '06 DL 1000. Then I consider that more power only helps in a drag race. (which I enjoy, but only lasts a few seconds) It has lots of power the way it is and fits me to a tee, so what's the point of changing bikes? I look all the time but can't find one that suits me any better for backroad riding. I'm afraid I'll be buried in my Strom but I have to tell you that I love the old thing.

1 - 20 of 488 Posts