StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda 90.

Dad said we could only ride in low range, till we figured out how to put it in high range. :thumbup:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Honda Chaly, then Suzuki GT750 Triple (kettle)...........two weeks later.
That was awesome, even had a gear indicator. It was golden brown , which was the fastest colour.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
1971 Honda CB350. It only did one wheelie in all the time I had it when it wheelied out from under me the second time I tried to move on it. My brother told me to give it more gas because I killed it the first time.

·
Registered
546 Posts
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc in British racing Green. Bought almost immediately after taking the MSF basic riders course. Wanted a "classic" looking bike that wouldn't easily kill me. Yes,, I could get killed but certainly no monster in the power department. In fact it's still sitting in my garage.

Rick

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Honda 250... a XLR 250 Baja. Read my first experience with that bike.

Back in 2001, I went to a used bike dealer and, out of the blue, bought a 1996 Honda XLR Baja 250. I only had previous experience riding my brother's YDR125.

Well. I payed and then the dude tells me to come tomorrow, sign the paperwork and pick up the bike. TOMORROW!!! :jawdrop: No way! I'm riding right now. No papers, no driver's license, no plate... just the bike and me.

After I hardly climbed the TALLEST bike ever, kick started it and decide to hit the street. Well... I took off and ended up in the middle of the road, with a stalled engine and a bus coming right towards me. Luckily, I didn't fall.
After I managed to restart the bike, I decided to go home.
After a couple a minutes, I understood there was something wrong with the steering. It had some sort of 'click' just in the middle, which prevented you from doing a smooth ride. So, there I go, driving awkwardly, avoiding main roads, but really happy. Until.... .... ... THERE COMES A COP AND PULLS ME OVER!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

He asks for my license... papers.... at least I had the Invoice the dealer gave me. I was asked to follow him to the Copland. After I arrived, I was seated beside some odd looking guy. After maybe half and hour, there comes another cop and writes me a ticket worth a month of salary. :157:

And of course, they wouldn't let me go riding the bike. I had to call my brother to come and pick the bike. To make things worse, that day was his son's birthday, and he was setting things up for the party and had a lot to do back home.

After maybe and hour, my brother arrived with an 'I hate you face'. Took the bike and left my car in the police parking lot for me to drive home. After I start the car, there comes the same cop and ask me for the car's papers and my license. At least this time everything went fine.

Three months later, I crashed that bike against a car that ran a stop sign...

·
Administrator
16,590 Posts
Honda Trail 70, ZR50 and XR80! :thumbup: And some of the very best memories of growing up......hands down!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Learned how to ride on a 1969 Kawasaki G3TR 90 Bushmaster... in late '69. It was my dad's first motorcycle.
His work mates (all dirt riders) talked him into buying a street/trail bike and joining them on the dirt.
Soon after I bought a used '68 Hodaka 90 (from one of the dads) with my paper route money.

And it's been all downhill from there.

;-)

·
Administrator
13,193 Posts
When I was 13 I bought a used 1969 Honda 90 model C200. This bike had a cast iron cylinder head with pushrods! Very old school Honda. My buddy had an S90.. OHC much faster and I was jealous until I got my (used) 1967 Honda CB175. Twin cylinder power.. one of the most fun bikes I had!

..Tom

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Kawasaki EX250 Ninjette

Kawasaki EX250 Ninjette

great first bike, other than having too much plastic to break

·
Registered
351 Posts
80 virile cc's were enough to attain an eyeball poppin' 45 ish (indicated) mph.

Mind boggling technology included yamalube premix eliminating auto injection and an enclosed oil bath chain case.

Mind boggling too is this yamaha radio ad from the era but....YOU MUST at least listen to the begining narration and if the ensuing song hits a nerve, jump to 2:03. The big finish would make a great ring tone!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Rode dirtbikes since I was about 10 (Early 80s) First was a Honda CR 60 Elsnore about a 1980 vintage then it was onto an 86 CR 80 which was my first brand new bike. My first miles on the street were on a 1984 Honda Silverwing (Late 80s) my moms bike of all things.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It was back in the mid-'70s. I was sharing a house in the country with two friends one of whom was a very able mechanic. We got the idea that we could some good money buying basket cases, putting them back together and selling them. What we ended up doing was getting them up and running but never around to selling them because we rode them instead. We had a 'dealer plate' and a revolving arrangement such that every third day it was your turn to have the dealer plate and ride whatever bike you wanted to. I'm pretty sure the very first motorcycle I rode (as opposed to a mini-bike) was an AMF Harley-Davidson 125. I can't recall most of the other bikes we had but I do remember a particularly fast Kawasaki 350 that became my favorite. Unfortunately it was on that bike that I T-boned a car that pulled out in front of me flipping me over the car and bouncing me down the street beyond. Back in those days, the only 'gear' we wore was an open-face helmet and, at that, I doubt I buckled the helmet strap. That accident left me in pretty bad shape for awhile and totaled the bike. I didn't ride again for 36 years.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Due to a parental decree , I didn't start riding until age 48 . My beginner bike was a DRZ400S - what a great bike ! I regret selling it , but was not riding it at all , once I graduated to the DL650A - What a great bike !:party:

Alex . Enthusiastic Noob .

1 - 20 of 60 Posts